SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR Optic for Astigmatism
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Optic for Astigmatism Login/Join 
posted
I was looking through the internet for advice or ideas. I normally use a Shotgun, and don't seem to need any optic to use it. The rifle is another issue altogether though. Mind you with my contact, it helps, but my worry is the time when my contact falls out or I reach for my rifle at night and was asleep.

Thanks

Posts: 378 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
1-4x or 1-6x with an illuminated reticle

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
1-4x or 1-6x with an illuminated reticle

I have astigmatism and you have to look through the different red dots to determine witch one you can actually see, but the low magnification scopes work best

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Look for an optic with an etched reticle, like the variable power 1-4x/1-6x scopes already mentioned, or a Prismatic optic like an ACOG or Vortex Spitfire. They're more astigmatism-friendly than the projected reticle on something like a red dot.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
AS RogueJSK says, Prismatic optics tend to be a little better for astigmatism.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed on low power scope. I've switched from red dots to Leupold VX-R patrol scopes on my primary ARs. With both eyes open at 1.25x, I see little difference compared to a red dot, other than a MUCH clearer reticle. Of course, being able to increase to 4x is a huge advantage for longer shots.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Anything except a red dot works for me. Red dots looks like a comet to my eyes LOL. But I still use one on my 3Gun AR.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I run a 2x ACOG, it's light weight, not dependent on batteries and electronics to operate. I use it both eyes open like a dot optic up close and the tip of the triangle for precise aiming. It works well with my astigmatism, unlike the cluster of grapes retical I get from an Aimpoint. If variable is what you want, look at the Trijicon's.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
IN addition to your contacts, have your doctor make a pair of shooting glasses with the astigmatism correction. I wear bifocals and have astigmatism. I do contacts and have the dr make glasses for a focus length primarily for anything from a rifle scope to pistol/rifle sights. Best solution I've found. One day someone will get smart and make focus able red dot magnifiers.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
A smaller red dot (I like 2MOA) and keeping the illumination down can help a bit, assuming the smaller, less illuminated dot still works for you.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Acog shave crystal clear glass and reticles

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have astigmatism as well and any red dot looks like a cluster of grapes to me. Stick with cross hairs or chevron or triangles and you should be ok

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
I use an ACOG - 1.5x16s - on the AUG A3; amber triangle.

That made all the difference for me.
My astigmatism was bad ... right eye 225 if I remember correctly; The left eye was even worse.

Red dots ere a problem. The 2 MOA bloomed just a teeny bit, but was a lot better than the 4 moa and above.

I had corrective shooting lenses that helped a lot, so do look into that.

Then I had lasik.

The ACOG sharpened up; the red dot even better, though I do have a slight halo effect at night. And I thought, so this is what a normal eye is like?

I was glad I didn't have to change those out.

As suggested, etched reticles, a smaller dot and perhaps the dot color to think about.

Have a look through a Burris FFP BTR 1-4x24. Glass, dot and variable; price is good. Save weight and use an AeroPrecision mount.

I have a Weaver 1-3x20 on an Aero mount on an AR15. The Weaver is very light, but no dot. I don't know about the astigmatism with the Weaver, it was purchased after lasik and specifically for the AR.

Something lighter? Leupold's 1-4x20 FD SPR - yes costs more but gives you a comparison for the bang for the buck.

You'll likely make great friends with your LGS before you are done.

Enjoy the research!

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Stick with the shotty.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Look at your comet/grape cluster red dot through your rear BUIS aperture and be amazed.

Similarly, look at your distorted red dot through a 3X magnifier.
What do you see?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't actually considered the possibility of shooting glasses, I will put that to my doctor. I wonder if that will affect my far farsightedness?

Been looking at the different scopes offered by both Trijicon (accupoint and accupower) and the offerings from Leupold. Not really looking for a complex reticle, just somthing that will work at close range. A maximum of 100 yards.

Posts: 378 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
cjevans, the Weaver 1X3 works fine with uncorrected astigmatism.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DeputyCG:
Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't actually considered the possibility of shooting glasses, I will put that to my doctor. I wonder if that will affect my far farsightedness?

Been looking at the different scopes offered by both Trijicon (accupoint and accupower) and the offerings from Leupold. Not really looking for a complex reticle, just somthing that will work at close range. A maximum of 100 yards.

http://www.customsightpicture.com/

Doc Toler (the son) is my eye dr,

using this kit, I have a nice set of Decot's I use for shooting,
does not affect my distance vision,

I also have astigmatism, and only use readers for close work (reading/computer etc)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
cjevans, the Weaver 1X3 works fine with uncorrected astigmatism.

Thanks - good to know!

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if there is gander mountain or other big box retailer with a scope petting zoo and take a look through them. All eyes are different, I have slight astigmatism and I can use an AIMPOINT with out issue. You can also search old threads on this very topic and see what worked for other SIGFORUMITES.

That said, Low powered Variables have been proven to be vey quick on target at close range at lower power. Also, reflection from a weapons light will illuminate your iron sights or a non-illuminated reticle. YMMV.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post