SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Croatian AK mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Croatian AK mags Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Has anyone here bought the Croatian AK mags from PSA? There are only 5 stars reviews on their site, but elsewhere people complain some material has to be removed for the mags to lock up correctly.

The process to correct them doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, other than needing perhaps to re-blue the mag where the work is done.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I have kind of a mixed bag of experience. They work in some rifles, but not all. They do fit in a converted Saiga, but I asked the guy who did the conversion to make sure they would. They have consistently fitted and fed in Yugo AKs (two OPAPs and one of the M70AB2T underfolders) without any fitting or other correction. Where I've seen them have problems with other rifles the hangup has always been the fit of the locking tab - width has never been the issue, unlike some polymer mags.

There are some Polish painted steel mags on the market as of late (I found mine at RTG Parts, but they're available elsewhere). They seem to be more of a universal fit right out of the wrapper.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Where I've seen them have problems with other rifles the hangup has always been the fit of the locking tab

Have you used an angle grinder to modify the locking tab to make any of them fit?

Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
From my experience... junk! For the money you can get better mags and not waste your time !!

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Have you used an angle grinder to modify the locking tab to make any of them fit?

No, I have others so I just reserve those mags for use in rifles they fit. FWIW, you may be better off using a file than an angle grinder, and by all means test for fit often.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
From my experience... junk! For the money you can get better mags and not waste your time !!

Which metal AK mags do you recommend in this market? Things have changed in terms of what's available since the last time I bought any, which was a long time ago.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
IMO Bulgarian steel mags are the only ones to buy.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Who has a good deal on Bulgarian steel mags? I've looked, but the only place I see them in stock is at CDNN for $13.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
CDNN looks like the place to get them right now. I got my latest order from Copes but they have sold out. Keep in mind they aren't 100% mil-spec as they have a polymer follower.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
I bought a dozen of them from SGAmmo. The mag floor plates don't fit tightly. Out of 12, perhaps 4 or so had the mag floorplates already popped off and the spring guts were popped out of the bottom while they were still new in the sealed bags. Pretty damn retarded!

I'd stay away from them. There is no excuse for the above.

If the mag floorplates actually would fit well, they'd probably make a great magazine. They are cosmetically beautiful magazines. Sad to say, I've never function tested them yet. They do lock up tightly in my arsenals.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ If those mags you're talking about are the Yugos, why not go ahead and give them a try since you've got them anyway? The surplus Yugos I've got work just dandy in the rifles they'll fit into. No problems with the floorplates coming off at all. My only beef was getting all that cosmolene off of them, but leaving them out in the Texas summer sun for a bit made that pretty easy.

(And thanks again to whoever that was who left that tip here for getting rid of Cosmo the easy way. I did it the hard way a couple of times, and that's just no fun at all.)

Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
I like the Polish Radom mags. I am not a fan of the BHO Yugo mags. The Yugos were coated in cosmoline and not worth the cheaper price vs the time it took to clean them.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I bought a few years and years ago and have had no issues in my Saiga.
I also have tons of Tapco mags that everyone complains about. I have had zero issues with those either and bought half a metric ton of them when I found them for 3.99 a piece.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Are you saying you bought the Croatian mags and did not have an issue, or are you speaking of the Polish mags?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Are you saying you bought the Croatian mags and did not have an issue, or are you speaking of the Polish mags?

Croatian mags are what I bought.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
pretty hard to find now, but I swear by the old East German mags, wirth that huge honkin' rib up the outside of the curve.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post