SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    CZ 455 setup and questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 455 setup and questions Login/Join 
posted
I’ve been putting some items together lately for what I hope to be a decent .22 shooting platform. I feel like I’ve been overthinking this, but wanted to check with those in the know.

I’m struggling with scope ring selection, both from a size/height and appropriateness to the platform perspective. Also looking for some general thoughts on my direction and choices so far. Though I’ve got very little experience with it, I’ve gotten very interested in rifle shooting, especially after reading a number of interesting threads here.

I’m new at this, so bear with me. My thinking was to first try a rimfire rifle and see how things go. My interest is primarily non-competitive target shooting, probably from a bench, 50-100yds depending on any ability I may have, and possibly further if it works out. To that end, I recently purchased a CZ 455 Tacticool in .22lr. I also read a number of articles here and elsewhere, and after doing a lot of research, ended up purchasing a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50 30mm scope with the MOA-2 reticle, focusable down to 9 yards, with 80MOA of total elevation adjustment. For better or worse, my decision was based on Sightron’s reputation, the short range focusing capability, the amount of elevation adjustment, the fine dot reticle, magnification range, and price. No modifications are planned for the CZ yet – I’d like to just try it in stock form first. Because of the possibility of shooting to 100yds or further, I also purchased a DIP 25MOA extended base, though I’m starting to second guess myself on this one – I’d welcome any input. Also, I realize that at some future point I may need more magnification depending on type of shooting, distance, and how well I want to see my results.

I’m eager to get everything put together, but still need rings. I’ve spent a fair amount of time trying to make sure I understand how to determine the appropriate ring height. If I’ve done it right, which may be questionable, it looks like I’ll need about 1.4” for the scope to clear the barrel and allow for lens covers. Taking the DIP base into account (~ 5/16”), then I’d need rings that measure about 1.1”/28mm from the base to the center of the ring/scope, or about .5”/13mm to the bottom of the scope. From what I can tell, it sounds like TPS rings are supposed to be decent quality. Their TSR medium is indicated as being 1.075”/27.3mm. I’ve also noticed the Vortex Pro’s (high), Burris Xtreme Tactical (medium), and Leupold PRW (high), all in the same ballpark. Since I have no experience with any of them, I’m not sure which way to go. Again looking for some help, and am open to other suggestions.

So, my questions:

1) Are my ring height measurements in the ballpark? Ring selection?

2) Is the 25MOA base needed for my intentions? Will it, combined with the scope, prevent me from being able to focus down to 25 yds? Some places I read yes – some no.

3) Is 20X sufficient to see .22 bullet holes at 50-100yds?

4) Any other general thoughts on the setup or my approach?

Posts: 104 | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's Saturday night so I'm not in the mood to do math, but check out this primer on determining scope height on RFC.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/...wthread.php?t=227512

quoting from thread:
Here is the formula: (Base height + ring height) - (Objective bell diameter/2 - Tube diameter/2) = Scope clearance.

2)Presumably your scope has 40 MOA in either direction and you are giving up 25 of that at the low end. Can you live within that smaller range? Even if you can, do you want to? I'd suggest calling Sightron, or frankly ask yourself do you expect to spend more time shooting 100-200 or 25-100? That might answer your question.

3) @50yds? Yes. @100yds? Not for groups.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link snipes - I wasn't aware of the formula, but I think it works out pretty close to what I came up with, at least for the clearance I was thinking. I'd imagine, at least until I hopefully gained some proficiency, 25-100yds would be the norm. Maybe further down the road.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the 25MOA base needed for my intentions?

Not needed if your intentions are as stated for range.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmeek
posted Hide Post
I think your scope choice sounds good for your intentions, I can see .22 holes on my 6x24 Weaver V Series scope at 100 yards and my eyes aren't that great. Shoot several hundred different rounds of ammo (Wolf, Eley, Lapua, etc) to see what it likes and then start tinkering if need be. A cheap spring will do wonders for the trigger pull. The aforementioned RFC is a wealth of info on your 455 and DJ Dillon is the guy for upgrades. I have a CZ 453 Varmint in a Tacticool stock and I love it.

Posts: 261 | Location: MD | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
CZ 455 requires 11mm dovetail rings. I have Leupold high and medium height if you're interested.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bmeek - thanks, I'm giving up 4x with my scope vs. yours, but maybe I'll still be able to see the shots. You're right, lots of good info on RFC. I'll look for stuff by Dillon.

Sigfourme - I was almost going to go the 11mm dovetail route until I bought the DIP base. If I end up not using it, I might talk to you about your Leupold rings - thanks.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have the DIP mount, no cant, and Leupold Medium rings with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 on my CZ455 heavy barrel .17HMR.

I’ve not shot it past 50yrds yet though.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riley - thanks for the info. I ended up buying two sets of rings. The first are BKL 303 series low rings for the dovetail mount. The second set are the TPS TSR medium rings for the DIP picatinny base. I'll start out with the BKLs and see how things go.

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
if you are going to use just rings you are going to NEED high rings most likely. The bolt handle on the 455 is weird and it will likely make contact with the scope.

I have two 455's, both with Leupold high rings. The bolt handle BARELY clears on one of my scopes.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it's trial and error to see how your ring / scope setup works.

I use CZ rings on my 452 and 455 - while being a touch high, I like them a lot.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you are going to use just rings you are going to NEED high rings most likely. The bolt handle on the 455 is weird and it will likely make contact with the scope.

I have two 455's, both with Leupold high rings. The bolt handle BARELY clears on one of my scopes.

Most or my research agreed with you, that high rings would be needed. But I came across one article that mentioned the low BKL's and said they worked. It also mentioned some Talley's ... high ones. But for the price, I thought I'd try the BKL's. I got the scope mounted up with them just before I went out of town for the last few days - they actually worked out really well. However, as you mentioned, the bolt handle has maybe two hairs of clearance. Actually, with this particular scope, it looks like I'm going to have trouble with the pop up zoom ring lever, at least in one particular position. I haven't had a chance to try the TPS rings with the base yet.

quote:

Thanks, I'll check it out and see what I can find.

quote:
Unfortunately it's trial and error to see how your ring / scope setup works.

That's what I'm discovering, even though I was trying hard to avoid it. Of course, now it appears I need some sort of cheek rest. If I go with the current setup, I'm staring below the scope. Not wanting to drill holes in the stock yet, I picked up a Beartooth Products comb raising kit. I find it a pain to get positioned, what with the foam spacers, neoprene backing, and tight fit. Once on, it seems okay. More trial and error I guess.

Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
I have the 455 Tacticool in 22LR and wondering if I can buy a 17 HMR barrel for it? Or if anyone knows if the ones on CZ's website will work? Thanks!
I put a Nikon 3-9 on mine and it works great, no issues with it. Fun rifle and set up.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I use a triad tactical check rest / pack. Holds a number of magazines and a suppressor as needed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vipers28:
I have the 455 Tacticool in 22LR and wondering if I can buy a 17 HMR barrel for it? Or if anyone knows if the ones on CZ's website will work? Thanks!
I put a Nikon 3-9 on mine and it works great, no issues with it. Fun rifle and set up.

Yes it will work. just unbolt the barrel you have now and bolt the new one on.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
Thank you! CZ barrel or other? Best place to buy a CZ barrel?

quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Vipers28:

Yes it will work. just unbolt the barrel you have now and bolt the new one on.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://shop.cz-usa.com/cz-products/rifles/accessories

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post