SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Building STENs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building STENs Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted
So I'm puttering around the Numrich, because they have hats and I like me some surplus hats/helmets, looking for stuff to round out the order and get that sweet, sweet free shipping. I come across STEN parts kits. Obviously they've been cut up, and are missing the barrels and whatnot.

Now, the thing is I'm not very mechanically inclined myself, but I like having stuff, and I know people who are mechanically inclined who can help me. So lets say I buy one of these kits, I'll need a barrel, and a new receiver, and what else? I don't need the Puppy Poppers kicking in my door, and saving me Waco-style, so it would of course be a semi-auto rifle build. Right now I'm really just more curious about the process, than actually making it happen any time soon.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d be interested in replies specifically dealing with our state laws, especially with I639 coming down the pike. Would you need to have it built in-state? If you had to have a smith build it up out of state and transferred to you here, would you have to pay the 10% usage fee tax, and if so, how would that value get figured out? Lots of extra questions there, my man.

Did they have any cool hats?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I thought about this about a million years ago when surplus parts kits flowed like water.

You can get easy-to-do receivers here.

I do believe you need to weld the thing, not to mention cut metal, so may not be a job you can do yourself.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will they even ship those here to WA? I know I've tried ordering various parts kits and run into the "we don't ship to your state cause it's extra super illegal"... Something to do with RCW 9.41.220 where they declared parts from full auto to be EEEEEEVIL.

But now that 1639 is here, ALL the chirruns are extra safe, and the glorious unicorns prance freely upon the golden streets, strewing rainbows and skittles as they go. Excuse me, comrades as I go to turn in my half a FAL kit and that AR upper receiver for destruction, and report for my re-education.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’d be interested in replies specifically dealing with our state laws, especially with I639 coming down the pike. Would you need to have it built in-state? If you had to have a smith build it up out of state and transferred to you here, would you have to pay the 10% usage fee tax, and if so, how would that value get figured out? Lots of extra questions there, my man.

Did they have any cool hats?

Pretty sure my dad has all the required tools, and skills, to help me cobble something together. It'll be some fine father/son bonding time. Daddy, help me build a British submachine gun! So I don't think I'll need to mess with sending anything off to anyone anywhere and running afoul of 1639 that way. Of course, who knows with the incoming legislature, but that's part of why I want the parts here, in my possession, before anything else happens.

As for hats, looking at them French Foreign Legion kepis, and a German police saucer hat, them's my favorites.

quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Will they even ship those here to WA? I know I've tried ordering various parts kits and run into the "we don't ship to your state cause it's extra super illegal"... Something to do with RCW 9.41.220 where they declared parts from full auto to be EEEEEEVIL.

But now that 1639 is here, ALL the chirruns are extra safe, and the glorious unicorns prance freely upon the golden streets, strewing rainbows and skittles as they go. Excuse me, comrades as I go to turn in my half a FAL kit and that AR upper receiver for destruction, and report for my re-education.

Bill R

They don't list Washington on their site as one of the places they wont ship the kits, but who knows.

Now, if you want, I can, uh, take that FAL kit to the proper authorities for you, save you a trip... Yeah, that's the ticket...

quote:

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, then I would say go for it. And yeah, absolutely better to have the kit now than later. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row on some things as well.

And yeah, the German hat is a classic style. Didja snag one?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How does John Q. Public, on his garage work bench, convert an open bolt fixed firing pin gun to one that fires from a closed bolt? That would seem to take more than just a visit from Dr. Dremel?

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm... very worthy point. I totally forgot about the open bolt aspect. This complicates matters, to be sure. Since we can’t have full auto fun in this state anyways, it kinda makes it even more complicated. I guess you could build it up as a de-ac, but that’s an expensive toy that doesn’t go bang.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
From what I've gathered, making it closed bolt isn't much of an issue. Something they figured out a long time ago when the tax ninjas decided "open bolt" means "ZOMG MASHIN GUNZZZZ!!!1!11!oneoneoneeleven"

quote:

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know they're sold semi auto STEN's, so someone must have figured out a way, but it can't be a simple kitchen table task.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Shotgun News used to have write-ups on these types of conversions.

You may want to google for the semi-auto parts that are too difficult to fabricate on your own.

http://www.semiautosten.com/

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I sent a text to the number I had for you, man. Not sure if it's still current or not.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Bought a kit, (and the German police hat, French kepi, and a Swedish helmet), so we'll see what's what. If anything, I'll just have it for a rainy day. Or do I?

quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
How does John Q. Public, on his garage work bench, convert an open bolt fixed firing pin gun to one that fires from a closed bolt? That would seem to take more than just a visit from Dr. Dremel?

Not all that hard. There are forums like this that have instructions, blueprints, links to companies that have semi-auto specific parts of the ability to do the work, etc.. Along with, as long as you build it the correct ATF way, the paperwork to show it is on the up and up.

I built a really nice semi-auto M1919A6 back in the early 2000’s when parts kits were plentiful and cheap. Have to remember these started off life as an open bolt full auto. Did it myself except the welding of some sections, which my dad helped me with. Now the ATF says the rivits alone are fine (damn)and ship off the bolt and barrel extension to a guy that had the drill press and strong enough carbide bits to cut the semi-auto grooves.

Built a semi auto FAL as well. I have a real nice Polish PPSh parts kit that I have been hanging onto for some reason. Bolt gets converted to operate from closed and you basically make the trigger group into a striker fire utilizing an AR15 firing pin to hit the primer.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around five years ago a company named Wise Lite Arms was selling Sterlings with a mix of old and new parts. 16 inch barrel and the bolt modification to fire from closed position. The compliant bolt had major parts cut out of the original bolt.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It's pretty standard on these builds to use a reduced inner diameter tube and an exclusion bar so that the converted bolts can't be swapped for full auto ones.
There are some full tutorials at the Weapons Guild site.
I still have kits sitting around that I'll likely never get around to.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
seems I remember some guy in Nevada had a clandestne sten shop. His were full auto. ATF took him down hard.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
seems I remember some guy in Nevada had a clandestne sten shop. His were full auto. ATF took him down hard.

Reckon it wasn't all that clandestine if the Puppy Patrol got him.

Not too worried about any of that though, as my interest is a semi-auto rifle. Unless of course Kremlin Joe lets fly with the nukes, then having a machine gun might be useful.

quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy

Not too worried about any of that though, as my interest is a semi-auto rifle.

No, comrade. You are curiously lacking in proper understanding of the dialectic...

Do you wish a firearm? Is the caliber above .177? Can it fire more than one such projectile per minute?

Then you sir, You are an eeeeeevvvvillll aussaultie thingie owner who is clearly just a right wing nazi whack job who hates puppies.

Prolly racist and all, too.

Shame! Shame!

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Oi, mate, you got a plumbin' loicence for all them poips?

It came a few weeks ago, I just kept forgetting to take a picture of it in all it's rusty, cut up, glory. What will I do with it? Probably nothing, it'll just sit in the bag until I die. But I have it, and I'm sure that upsets some hoplophobe, somewhere.

quote: