Tools

Null Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you need to swap out more parts than that. For 922r, you can’t have more than 10 foreign parts on the gun, and I think the M4 has like 13 or 14 foreign parts. Swapping the stock for a US stock only drops the count by one.

You can’t go by how many foreign parts the M4 originally had since it doesn’t fall under 922r with the 5 round tube. Every single part on it could be non-US made in the original configuration. Once you go above 5 rounds, then 922r kicks in.

In fact, I’m very surprised it came with the factory collapsible stock. That’s a non-no as far as I know, unless it already has 922r compliance parts. Are you sure it isn’t a M1014, which has the factory collapsible stock, but the tube that it slides on is cut in such a way that the collapsing function doesn’t actually work.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I did the Urbino stock, a US made full-length titanium tube and a follower.

If I recall from all those years ago, you need to do 3 parts.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You'll need to replace 3 total parts, from the following list:

Receiver
Barrel
Bolt
Bolt carrier
Gas piston
Trigger housing
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Buttstock
Forearm/handguard
Magazine tube
Follower

Of those, the Urbino takes care of the buttstock, and replacing the follower is simple.

Other than that, you'll still need one more.

Since you're already replacing the magazine tube, using a US-made one would be the easiest route to 922r compliance. But if you insist on using a factory magazine tube, then the handguard is likely the next easiest route. Or if you're handy, you could swap out one or more of the trigger components with an aftermarket trigger/disconnector/hammer.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I did the Urbino stock, a US made full-length titanium tube and a follower.

If I recall from all those years ago, you need to do 3 parts.

Same, but I changed the hndguard as well (Surefire). The Urbino is outstanding. Allows you to mount a QD as well as a side saddle on the stock itself. I have the rail side saddle as well so 21 shells onboard. 7+1+1 plus two 6 shell reloads. I still choose it over a rifle for HD.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
What are you going to do with the stock?

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired old fat motor cop
posted Hide Post
Email me your price please

" Life is full of choices', Choices have consequences."

Posts: 698 | Location: New England | Registered: October 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
Be aware that the factory collapsible stock counts as 2 parts. So when you are adding this stock you must change out 4 total items to US made parts, not 3.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The OP won't need to replace any additional parts, PennSig.

922r compliance requires no more than 10 foreign parts.

If dwd1985 kept the factory pistol grip and only replaced the rear stock portion with a US part, then yes, he'd need to find 1 more foreign part to replace since he'd still have a foreign pistol grip.

But the Urbino has an integral pistol grip.

The Urbino he's installing is replacing both the foreign pistol grip and the foreign buttstock with US made parts. Therefore, neither the pistol grip nor the buttstock will count against 922r compliance any more.

So if he does as he plans, installing the Urbino, and then replacing the follower and handguard, his Benelli will have only 10 foreign parts and will be 922r compliant:
Receiver
Barrel
Bolt
Bolt carrier
Gas piston
Trigger housing
Trigger
Hammer
Disconnector
Magazine tube

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the charging handle count?

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No. The charging handle is not on the 922r list, so it's not counted when determining whether the firearm includes no more than 10 imported parts. You can have a foreign charging handle and it won't hurt you, but conversely, swapping the charging handle to a US-made part doesn't get you any closer to compliance.

The only way that a charging handle would sorta count is if you had a gun where the charging handle was integral to something like the operating rod (like on the M1/M14) or bolt carrier (like on the AK/SKS), and you swapped the entire operating rod or bolt carrier, since those parts are counted.

Here are all the parts counted under 922r:
(Note that not all firearms will have all 20 of these parts.)

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I just picked up a Benelli M4, with the factory 5 round tube but a factory collapsible stock. I would like to swap the 5 round tube for a factory 7 round, and swap the stock for a Mesa Tactical Urbino. Will it remain 922R compliant if I swap these parts? By my count, that would make 1 fewer foreign part than the way I purchased it, so I think I should be fine.

I have an Urbino stock that I don't want. E-mail sent.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK -- If I buy the two-piece foreign-made stock and add it to my stock M4 that came with the one-piece foreign-made stock, do I have to change-out a total of 4 more foreign-made parts to USA made parts?

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes.

If you're using the foreign collapsible buttstock with separate pistol grip, that counts as two pieces: buttstock and pistol grip. That would be a total of 14 foreign parts on your M4, and would trigger 922r by having both the pistol grip and collapsible stock features, so you'd need to get that count down to 10 or fewer by replacing 4 foreign parts with US made part in order for it to be 922r compliant.

922r is triggered by the presence of more than one of the following features on an imported semiauto shotgun:
-folding or telescoping stock
-pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
-fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds
-ability to accept a detachable magazine

Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's primarily enforced by the ATF.

It appears that prosecutions under 922r are rare. According to federal criminal prosecution data, from 2008-2017 there were 73,318 federal prosecutions involving gun-related charges from 18 USD 922 and 924, and 26 USC 5861. Of these, 4 total federal charges related specifically to 922(r): 2 in 2014 and 2 in 2017.

I suspect that these 922r charges were likely in addition to other more serious/obvious federal charges, and not standalones.

Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I hope everyone here understands 922r applies to the manufacture of firearms, not the possession of firearms.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Assembly, not manufacturing. But yes, per the statute, it doesn't mention mere possession.

quote:
18 U.S.C. § 922(r)

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to -

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.