SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Because AR's like to run wet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because AR's like to run wet Login/Join 
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Another Slip 2000 EWL guy here. I use it on my hand guns, bolt guns, AR's and for various shooting sports as well. I think I've tried everything but Lucas products.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
Another Slip 2000 EWL guy here. I use it on my hand guns, bolt guns, AR's and for various shooting sports as well. I think I've tried everything but Lucas products.

A bit of a drift here but I got a small bottle of Lucas Extreme Duty oil. I don't know if it does anyting better on an AR, but it does a better job of staying put on pistols. YMMV.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Slip 2000. Seems to do the job well and doesn’t have a strong smell like some of the others. I never clean them but I always take out the BCG and put some lube on the wear points before shooting. Never had a problem. Cleaning guns is a waste of time.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
AFter having sworn that I would never actually pay money for gun lube, and using 10W30 to good effect....

I tried a vial of CherryBalmz Black Rifle Balm. It is a 00 weight grease. It doesn't cook off or run. The action stays very slick even with high round counts and a suppressor.

It is really really good stuff.

I use the Winter Balm for my tight 2011 and the Rimfire Remedy for both 22 semi-autos and inertia shotguns.

I have never used anything remotely as good, and was very unimpressed with my results with breakfree CLP.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
G96 works well and smells almost pleasant compared to the others, to me at least, which is the main reason I like it. I kept a small spray can of it with a wipe down cloth in a tin on my dresser for a lot of years and it didn’t stink up the room at all.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I use Lucas. I have tons of it from when I was a sponsored shooter.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lucas Extreme on the AR's as I have a big bottle of it.

I've pretty much switched to SLIP 2000 products. EWG on the high round count guns, even in winter. The regular oil on .22 and EWL 30 on everything else.

If you keep them wet, they run better but are also far easier to clean.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huskerlrrp:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Often new guys would come out with very clean and dry ARs. They didn't always have problems, by any means, but often enough, after a couple of hundred rounds, their bolts would fail to go all the way into battery, and (less often) fail to extract. Almost always, a few squirts of almost any lube, enough to see it on the bolt, would get them back into the game.

I'd rather have a dirty but well lubed AR than a clean and dry one.

agree with the above

my Army experience says -- clean and dry is fine

once it starts to get dirty after a couple hundred rounds -- the lubrication requirement is evident

---------------------------------------

Were you 11B?....Ours were wiped down dry for the armory but we lubed the snot out of our weapons when they went live. We used Breakfree CLP. I still do, but have used Mobil 1 with luck as well.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
my Army experience says -- clean and dry is fine

once it starts to get dirty after a couple hundred rounds -- the lubrication requirement is evident

---------------------------------------

Clean and dry causes excessive wear to the bolt locking lugs and the barrel extension. Ask me how I know.....

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic 5W-30. Always in my bag, ARs always lubed.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post