SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Because AR's like to run wet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because AR's like to run wet Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
I cleaned and lubed mine last night with G96.

What's your favorite all in one product to keep 'em running during a two day carbine course?

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Breakfree CLP hasn't steered me wrong yet. Not the very best cleaner, or lubricant, or protectant, but good at all three, so it's one of the best all-in-ones to keep on hand.

I buy the gallon jugs, and then divvy it up into smaller containers, so I always have multiple small CLP bottles stashed in my vehicles, gear bags, range bags, etc.

Then I have a number of bottles of various other products in the cleaning cabinet at home, for times when I want a different, dedicated product for a more specific task.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SLIP2000 EWL and EWL 30 weight for the BCG.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARs do cycle better when well lubed. Given how many types of oil/grease/whatever are listed by shooters in lubrication threads, I suspect the type isn't as important as maintaining the lubrication levels.

Thicker lubes last longer in an AR, therefore less attention to the lubrication is necessary on a hot day with high volume shooting.

Really thin lubes still work, but they must be re-applied during those hot days with lots of rounds down range.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfree CLP

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of all-in-one products. I like separate cleaners and lubes. My go to lately has been Lucas Extreme, both cleaner and gun oil. Although, I do like to use a bit of grease on the gas rings and locking lugs of the bolt. I just cleaned and lubed my rifle yesterday - it seemed like a good thing to do!

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last 8 years it as been Mobile One Synthetic 30 weight on my AR's. Absolutely no issues with using it on my Patrol rifle.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LSA.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find it right now, but I can't. The Army had a series of tests where they tried all kinds of "improvised" lubricants to maintain an M16. Covering the circumstance where the official gun lubricants were not available. Things that you might still have access to in extraordinary circumstances, like ATF from a vehicle, motor oil from a vehicle, brake fluid, grease, cooking grease, butter, dead mice, like a massive list. Including peeing on it. And what they found it is mostly doesn't matter for any petroleum product. ATF happens to be great. But in the end any decent modern lubricant works.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I used to be a rangemaster for three gun events. Often new guys would come out with very clean and dry ARs. They didn't always have problems, by any means, but often enough, after a couple of hundred rounds, their bolts would fail to go all the way into battery, and (less often) fail to extract. Almost always, a few squirts of almost any lube, enough to see it on the bolt, would get them back into the game.

I'd rather have a dirty but well lubed AR than a clean and dry one.

And those AKs would function no matter what, but are harder to mount optics on.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Good choice. I have used G96 for over 25 years. I use it on all my guns.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

This.

There are plenty of effective lubes available to keep your AR spitting bullets and lube. I prefer the SLIP2000 EWL because it is NON-TOXIC. If I'm going to be spraying the stuff all day shooting it's just a little extra comfort to know my lube won't hurt me. Plus the Slip 2000EWL is a top tier lube anyway............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot many a competition with my M400 which runs on Pennzoil synthetic motor oil and mostly steel case ammo. Don't recall ever having an issue that wasn't user error.

It's probably just my imagination but keeping the bolt and carrier wet with motor oil seems to keep the carbon from sticking as much. I do have to scrape the tail of the bolt behind the gas rings where it tapers down, but I just swab the inside of the carrier and the black gunk comes right off.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used breakfree CLP, the G96 version of CLP, slip 2000 and Lucas. When lubed properly, I haven't had an issue with any of them. if you are in an area with extreme cold temps, pay attention to the temp range of your oil.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My ‘bulk oil’ is mostly ATF tranny fluid mixed with very light weight synthetic motor oil, Royal Purple 0w. I have a few other ingredients, recipe off the web.

I do agree on the wet condition for high round shooting.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIN
posted Hide Post
Weapon Shield gun oil has never let me down.

No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor.
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 806 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Often new guys would come out with very clean and dry ARs. They didn't always have problems, by any means, but often enough, after a couple of hundred rounds, their bolts would fail to go all the way into battery, and (less often) fail to extract. Almost always, a few squirts of almost any lube, enough to see it on the bolt, would get them back into the game.

I'd rather have a dirty but well lubed AR than a clean and dry one.

agree with the above

my Army experience says -- clean and dry is fine

once it starts to get dirty after a couple hundred rounds -- the lubrication requirement is evident

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna agree with everyone who says just keep it lubed and it should run forever. Google filthy 14 if you want a good story. If a product has CLP in it's name it's mostly lubrication and surface protection. That's why specific cleaning products do a much better job of cleaning than any CLP will ever do. That being said my go to oil unless I'm performing a specific cleaning function is Break Free CLP. It has always worked, and buying it by the gallon makes it the least expensive gun oil out there by about 50%.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

This.

There are plenty of effective lubes available to keep your AR spitting bullets and lube. I prefer the SLIP2000 EWL because it is NON-TOXIC. If I'm going to be spraying the stuff all day shooting it's just a little extra comfort to know my lube won't hurt me. Plus the Slip 2000EWL is a top tier lube anyway............dj

Great point guys. I need to get some SLIP2000. I've used a number of different lubes over the years.

Tried TetraGun. Interestingly, it was the ONLY lube that silenced the spring squeak on my HK91s. Made them slick as snot. BUT I found the grease doesn't do well over time. It tends to separate and get funky looking after many months of storage.

Tried TW-25B and I still use it occasionally. Seems to be good stuff.

I also use Ballistol due to it's non toxic nature. Smelly though.

I find myself using Breakfree quite a bit, mainly for long term storage. I also use it in conjunction with RIG +P for maximum protection of moving parts as well as long term storage.

When I bought my Dan Wesson Vigil, I learned that for whatever reason Breakfree is't good for it's DutyCoat Titanium Nitride coating on the slide, so I got some FP-10. It's supposed to be really great for low friction.

I like Kroil combined with Hoppes Benchrest for cleaning my barrels.

I have heard great things about SLIP2000 add to that it's non toxic, I think I may make the transition one of these days after I use up all the stuff I currently have.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I have heard great things about SLIP2000 add to that it's non toxic, I think I may make the transition one of these days after I use up all the stuff I currently have.
Yeah it took me awhile to burn through the other stuff - in fact I finally used up the last of my "Remmy Oil" this year that I kept in my small range bag when I only go with a rifle or two - simply to squirt on the BCG or bolts when needed while shooting.

I replaced it with a couple of small 1-oz SLIP2000 bottles, so my transition is mostly completely - although I STILL have some some Slide Glide Lite in a tube and another tube of TW25 that I've had, well, forever.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post