SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger take-down Carbine in 5.7X28?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger take-down Carbine in 5.7X28? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
Has anyone heard? It might be a nice complement to their new 5.7 pistola.

I've really liked this round for a long time. And still like it after I learned to seperate the hype from the truth.

I know it's a solution in search of a problem. But I still like it. (For what, I don't know). And with new Speer Gold Dot defensive ammo coming out, I'm even more interested in this caliber.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven’t heard anything. Until two weeks ago, almost no one had even heard that Ruger was making a 5.7 pistol. Seems possible, but at this point who knows?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I strongly suspect they've got one in the works, or more likely, something akin to the Kel-Tec CMR30 or HK MP7 style. As I posted in the thread about the pistol, it only makes sense that if they're going to go after the company that had a monopoly on that market for 20 years, they'd chop at both legs and not just one. FN FiveSevens and PS-90's are not cheap. If Ruger can put out solid competitors to both with a much lower barrier to entry price-wise, then I can absolutely see them doing so.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I would thoroughly enjoy this caliber in that format as opposed to it in a Ruger American bolt gun....

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I'm in also! For some crazy reason, I am drawn into these dang carbines. What would be really neat is if Ruger put out an adapter in the carbine for the FN Five Seven magazine just like they did with Glock! And..... a 357sig barrel to go with the PC 40 Cool

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
The Ruger PCC look a little like the Ppsh41. I sometimes wonder if they will make a drum for it in 5.7x28.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just a theory at this point. We can hope though!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the 5.7 cartridge is so long compared to a normal 9mm pistol cartridge I'm guessing ruger would have a tough time getting that to work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Good point. Probably better suited to an AR type receiver?
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
the 5.7 cartridge is so long compared to a normal 9mm pistol cartridge I'm guessing ruger would have a tough time getting that to work.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
quote:

CMMG is already doing the 5.7 AR thing. They sell 5.7 radial delayed blowback uppers with 40 round mags that fit a standard AR magwell.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ty
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
quote:

CMMG is already doing the 5.7 AR thing. They sell 5.7 radial delayed blowback uppers with 40 round mags that fit a standard AR magwell.

posted Hide Post
If they could make one like a HK MP7 or if Kel Tec does, I think it would be a hot seller. I know I would be interested.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I am the odd man out but can’t see this having much utility.
A round only marginally more powerful than a .22 magnum in a platform heavier than most .223’s that aren’t bulked up with gadgets, a round of limited availability and narrow market.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Perhaps I am the odd man out but can’t see this having much utility.
A round only marginally more powerful than a .22 magnum in a platform heavier than most .223’s that aren’t bulked up with gadgets, a round of limited availability and narrow market.

Don’t forget more expensive than .223 to boot. If it’s AR sized it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense. If Ruger wants to sell a lot of any kind of carbine, look for it to be a bull pup or approximate the P90.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t mind seeing Ruger offer something along the lines of the Kel-Tec CMR-30 chambered in 5.7x28 and feeding from forty round magazines.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would Ruger make this with a third of the population of the US banned from owning it? (Capacity and ‘approved lists’)

Posts: 165 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chimper:
Why would Ruger make this with a third of the population of the US banned from owning it? (Capacity and ‘approved lists’)

If you use that standard, hardly anyone would make any new guns that weren’t Fudd approved. In any case, they make reduced capacity mags for ban states.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chimper:

I’m doubtful of your figures, but I’ll play: Because the other two thirds are potential customers?

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post