SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    More of a magazine issue than rifle issue, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More of a magazine issue than rifle issue, but... Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Does anyone have any recommendations for a bandolier/vest type thing for carrying multiple mags?

I'm looking for something that I can hang on a hook next to my rifle and grab and go should the need ever arise (it won't, but the Boy Scout in me likes to be prepared).

I've found a few LBE type vest things on Amazon that look like they'd function well, but thought I'd check with some current vets to see if there is anything better out there nowadays.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for something simple and inexpensive, this is what hangs next to my bed. Four of the single mag pouches adorn the front. Efficient, light, easy to put on.

https://www.highspeedgear.com/...hest-rig-40SCR1.html

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a "Grab & Go" from Olongapo Outfitters. I own several of these for various platforms. They simply are a rugged piece of Kit. American made by a retired Marine.

I have bought them directly from Olongapo and from Brownells. Depending on your specs and the current sales in progress one may be cheaper than the other. Please tell Jerry the colonel sent you.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ambush:
How about a "Grab & Go" from Olongapo Outfitters.

I do like that one for the M1 carbine stock. I may have to pick one of those up.

The ones I've seen for M4s on Amazon carry six 30 rounders plus pouches for pistol mags. Fairly cheap too at around $30. I just don't know if there is anything better or more functional.

This is the one I was looking at:

CONDOR Recon Chest Rig

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I have a Galati Gear 9mm stick mag pouch that holds eight 9mm Colt style mags.
It uses 1000 D nylon, YKK zippers, high quality velcro and metal d rings.
The quality of the stitching is excellent and it has been very durable. I was very surprised at the quality for the price.
They make several different types of mag holders.

20/30 round rifle mag pouch

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to disparage other products but Jerry's stuff is solid. It ain't cheap but it will give a lifetime of service.

The Grab & Go meets the criteria you stated. If you want multi-functional chest rigs there are plenty of good companies out there. Olongapo is a niche business that I highly recommend.

You have to ask the question, are you kicking doors and jumping out of aircraft for a living? If you are, you need more kit than Jerry makes. Although his stuff would be a good supplement.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using this for almost two years with no issues.

SOG Responder Bag, 11.5-Liter Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X...cp_api_WExSBbB9SFY4S

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7991 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Budget

Tactical version

Low profile

After giving it lots of thought I sucked it up and got a plate carrier (2 actually), plates, and ifak. If I have time to grab something it might as well carry armor and medical. If I were to do it again I would buy this LBT clone carrier.

Posts: 9943 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have one of these (military LBV)...with double mag holders on the front

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ing-load-carrier-flc

and I have an el-cheapo black vest like this 511 molle vest with double mag holders for a total of 8 mags on the front

https://www.511tactical.com/vt...e-tactical-vest.html

I carried it at work as a cop and had a total of 9 loaded mags....270 rounds versus the 30 the PD issued me....I still keep them by a rifle for immediate use

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11244 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
The quality of the stitching is excellent and it has been very durable. I was very surprised at the quality for the price.

Probably good kit but you can find the mil surplus version for half that price, and used I have found the for $5. I have 5-7 sitting around with loaded mags.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C...er_apa_5HuTBbJZ8Q3MA

$5.20 each....if you don't mind ACU

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I went with the Vertx EDC ESSENTIAL BAG. Costs more, takes some setting up but mine has 3 x AR30s, 3 x GLOCK PMAG21s, small First Aid Kit, flashlight, multitool, and some other stuff.

I wanted low vis so you can easily set the rifle down / behind a tree / out of sight and it's just another bag when zipped up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vertx makes some of best clothing available. They are my preferred provider of pants & shirts. I do not have any of their bags but I have got to believe it is all top shelf.

And, if you happen to be a NRA Instructor, you qualify for a generous discount. Their stuff is quality and worth the cost.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

Probably good kit but you can find the mil surplus version for half that price, and used I have found the for $5. I have 5-7 sitting around with loaded mags.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C...er_apa_5HuTBbJZ8Q3MA

$5.20 each....if you don't mind ACU

I have a couple of those 6 mag surplus mag holders but they are a PITA to snap shut over a 30 round Magpul mag. They work fine for GI mags.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post