SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My early Christmas present: .357 SIG PCC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My early Christmas present: .357 SIG PCC Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
Well.. it's been a long journey, but now it's over.

The upper was built up by Rudy at Macon Armory. It has a 16" nitrided .357 SIG barrel, keymod rail, BCM Gunfighter charging handle and custom muzzle device. It's blow back operated. It's topped by an Aimpoint H1 and Magpul MBUS Pro's.

The lower is from Lone Wolf. I installed a Wilson Combat TTU, an ultra heavy, ( 10 oz ) Macon Armory buffer and a Magpul CTR.

I just received the URG today and finished installing the final accessories. I'm hoping to get her out to the range this coming week and see how she runs. I have half a dozen, twenty two round Glock mags with +5 Arredondo extensions, a case of GA Arms, a couple cases of Atlanta Arms, some WWB, Remington and finally a bunch of Speer Gold Dots to try out.

Initially, I was waiting on LW to introduce their own .357 SIG URG, but after waiting nearly a year and being told it'll be out next month, each month for that year, I finally pulled the plug on them after discussing this project with Rudy at Macon Armory. He knows his stuff and doesn't bull shit around. I spoke with him over the phone on a couple occasions and exchanged e-mails covering the details of this project. I felt confident that he could pull this off and do it in a timely fashion, which he did.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Oh yes. The idea of a .357 sig carbine always tickles my fancy.

Let us know how it shoots!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Oh yes. The idea of a .357 sig carbine always tickles my fancy.

Let us know how it shoots!

Will do.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
That's cool.

I bought a bunch of .40 caliber Glock sticks a couple of years ago with the idea of dong one but never followed through. Now that others have caught up with me, maybe I should revisit it. Wink

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That's tits!

There are 3 or 4 guys locally that all got together and bribed a Smith into doing a group buy of sorts on a project - and now they each own a 10mm ar. I'm wicked jealous.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
That's tits!

There are 3 or 4 guys locally that all got together and bribed a Smith into doing a group buy of sorts on a project - and now they each own a 10mm ar. I'm wicked jealous.

A 10mm AR using Glock mags would be sweet, but with .357 SIG's bottle neck case, I feel better with its more reliable feeding than straight walled cartridges, though my 6450 isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
That's cool.

I bought a bunch of .40 caliber Glock sticks a couple of years ago with the idea of dong one but never followed through. Now that others have caught up with me, maybe I should revisit it. Wink

Rudy?

An RRA guy hit me up on ARF.com about their .40 AR and that they might be tinkering with a .357 SIG, but I was close to getting this upper from Macon Armory and I started getting the same creeping feeling from RRA as I had after Lone Wolf let me down.

posted Hide Post
Very cool
With good ammo velocity should be in the 1800ft range

Posts: 1176 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I want this!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also scared to ask the price.

Please take some video of the gun while firing also

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
I want this!!!!!!!!!!

I'm also scared to ask the price.

Please take some video of the gun while firing also

Taking and posting video will probably take awhile, but I will try. I don't have issues posting/embedding vidoes on other forums, but I still haven't been able to master doing so here.

The cost for the complete upper and lower, before upgrades, sights and mags was around $1300-ish. This includes opening up the muzzle device, ( it was orginally made for 5.56 ) thorough test firing and a custom 10 oz buffer.

I waited almost a year for Lone Wolf to get a production upper on the market and it never happened. I would've payed a little more for their complete PCC and been stuck getting their basic flash hider and crappy, ( UTG? ) rail.

Another big plus for me is that Macon Armory is only about an hours drive from my place, so if there's ever an issue down the road, I can get it sorted out much quicker.

posted Hide Post
Any idea if your shot brass is reloadable? I've read that blow back operation is tough on 357 SIG brass and may render them unusable for reloading.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
Any idea if your shot brass is reloadable? I've read that blow back operation is tough on 357 SIG brass and may render them unusable for reloading.

I'm making my first range trip with her today, so I will see. The sample cases that Macon Armory included with the upper looked fine though.

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up a Glock mags lower and have been debating between .357 and 9mm....

What keeps me from building the .357 is getting a complete upper...easily and price of the .357 ammo.

I think besides 10mm the .357 gains the most in AR pistol or SBR format (maybe more) but just like 10mm feeding the beast is more expensive.

With a 8" barrel the federal 125gr is running 300FPS fast than the 9MM....impressive.

With the full 16" you can expect mid 1700s...

Very nice build

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
What keeps me from building the .357 is getting a complete upper...easily and price of the .357 ammo

Why not just build your own? A blow back upper can't be any easier to build.
A Rainier Arms upper minus F/A, a QC10 barrel, bolt carrier group, and Handguard of your choice and you are done. Simple and easy.

I have an upper holding out for a 10mm build. QC10 .40 BCG list 10mm functionality again in the description. So I need to inquire about that as it listed it at the beginning of the year and they pulled it from the description stating they were having some issues with 10mm builds.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Intriguing rifle. Please post some target pictures when able. Bet it groups right good!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Range report? Smile

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Range report? Smile

Ugh, yes.

Things started off good. I was simply firing to get to know the rifle and the Aimpoint was fairly close on target without really needing to make any adjustments. Ran several mags through it and banged around some old bowling pins down at the 100 yard line.

After getting aquainted with the new rifle, I settled down to start fine tuning the Aimpoint but the dot began to fade in intensity. I cranked it up to just shy of max power, but the dot grew no brighter. I could max it out, but then the intensity is too much. So, I decided to call it a day and home. I figured the battery just needed to be changed.

After replacing the battery, the sight still was doing the same thing. Confused I plan to call Aimpoint's customer service and see what can be done.

I'm happy with the rifle itself so far. It's a blast to shoot. It throws the brass pretty consistently to about 4 o' clock, about fifteen back. The cases I was able to recover looked decent upon initial inspection. I'm probably going to pull a T1 from one of my other ARs and use it temporarily on the .357 SIG. I ended up putting only about 150 rounds though the carbine.

When I get the chance to hit the range again after getting settled into my next house, I'll post up another, hopefully more detailed range report.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
ARMT, thank you for the report.

Sorry about your Aimpoint but happy to know the carbine worked through 150 rounds.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARMT Guy ... TYVM for your info on the 357sig carbine. I've been a committed 357sig guy for the past ten years and have always desired a carbine to go with my pistols and travel kit.

I look forward to your pictures. Is there anything you would do different in a build after having a chance to range test?

TY

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Very cool. And tagged.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post