SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How’s the quality on Anderson lowers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How’s the quality on Anderson lowers? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Worth $50? One of the few I can get locally with no transfer fees - at least in that price range.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have built several and no problems. I have some with trigger guard and others without. Both are GTG. I always thread a tap into the grip screw hole just to make sure the grip screw that comes with what ever LPK I install doesn't bottom out.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are GTG but I wouldn't pay much more than $50. I've bought a few at my local Fleet Farm for under 50 out the door.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
GTG. My own observation is people complaining about them had lowers that were really old which makes me wonder if the newer ones are better. Again this is my observation while searching for reviews on them, and not based on any real knowledge.

That said, I got one recently and I’m happy with it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have bought a couple in the last bit and they seem to be ok. I gave a little less than $50 each, all though $50 seems to be the going rate.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're $29.99 today only:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/anderson-ar-lower/

I just bought two from them for $32.99, also a good price.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

My cart shows $29.99 for the lower and $24.02 shipping. Plus tax of course!

I built probably 8 or ten rifles on Anderson lowers over he last several years and haven't ran into any problems.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybirdaccountant:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

My cart shows $29.99 for the lower and $24.02 shipping. Plus tax of course!

I built probably 8 or ten rifles on Anderson lowers over he last several years and haven't ran into any problems.

Yeah, that's a little steep. I paid $21.05 shipping for two, plus $4.61 tax. Had I noticed the shipping at ordering I probably would have gotten three.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I got my mitts in for a short while machining them at Anderson. I cant say they are the best, better than other brands but what I can say is this, the way which the castings/forgings are fixtured to a tomb stone, in a Mazak horizontal makes for a repeat machining process for dummys. It is a air fixture loaded with 3 per load, extreme precision locators and air operated clamping. What it makes for is you cant miss. Every damn one is the same. Simple and boring. Buy with confidence.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I got my mitts in for a short while machining them at Anderson. I cant say they are the best, better than other brands but what I can say is this, the way which the castings/forgings are fixtured to a tomb stone, in a Mazak horizontal makes for a repeat machining process for dummys. It is a air fixture loaded with 3 per load, extreme precision locators and air operated clamping. What it makes for is you cant miss. Every damn one is the same. Simple and boring. Buy with confidence.

Sums it up pretty well. Word.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some with trigger guard and others without.

I have one of each. They both have been perfect.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
They run good. A little rough on the finish but I haven't had any issues.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few over the years and quality can be hit or miss. I have had a couple I had to return to my ffl dealer as one did not have the pistol grip hole threaded. Another, the bolt catch area was not cut right and I had to sand the area down in order for the bolt catch to fit in it. As it turned out on that same lower, the pistol grip screw hole was not threaded all the way. My ffl dealer was very helpful and swapped out the lowers without question. Inspect which ever one you get before purchasing. It is a common issue with Anderson lowers. Some will not allow you to install some pistol grip screws, as some are longer than others. I have one now that I had to use a shorter screw as the standard length would thread out of the top of the lower. Other makes are not much more and if it is something you plan on keeping, I would get another better brand name. I got a Spikes not long ago for less than $80.00.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
They drill the selector detent hole all the way through instead of leaving a counterbore, this sometimes make the selector very stiff since this allows over travel of the selector detent.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have bought other brands and had them shipped to a FFL. The issue is most FFLs here are $25 or more to do the transfer.

Field & Stream used to carry Palmetto State lowers before they went gun control crazy. Haven't been back.

Shop prices tend to be around $70-80 for a lower.

Cabelas has Anderson for $50. I'll probably hold off and grab a couple when PSA has giveaway pricing and just pay the FFL fee.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to build guns with ugly logos ... I don't know what it is about them, I just can't bring myself to buy one ... at least not when there are so many other lowers out there for just a few dollars more, that have IMHO cooler logo's.

I guess I'd throw $50 at it if I was just needing a receiver to build as absolutely cheap as possiable i.e. use up some of my used and take-off parts, then walk it around and see what I could get for it.

No, probably not even then, they may be fine but no. I don't know what it is about them, I just dont like'um.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've got 7 built on Anderson lowers, and never had a problem with any of them. Some have built in trigger guards, some and the standard open ears, but all work just fine.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have as of right now 5 built on an Anderson Manufacturing lower receiver, that's including my SBR. If I didn't think they were gtg, I wouldn't have built my SBR on one.

All have been what they should be with no problems. Everything went together with no problems.

I don't really care about what the roll mark is, or how it looks. But I myself don't think that it looks bad at all.

I also like that I'm supporting a somewhat local company, they are about 70 miles away from me.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I bought a batch of three Andersons lowers a few mos. ago and finally got around to building one up yesterday. All appeared to be fine until I went to try it out on some of my upper. Would not fit at all. The rear pin holes/lugs won't line up by almost 1/8". I'm sure this lower is out of spec. I got them from a home-based FFL and he will let me know about the warranty process. But what do I do with the other two? Tear the packages open and see how close they line up with a few of my uppers before deciding to build one up? They're not consecutive serial numbers, but they're close, so likely from the same lot or batch. If Andersons replaces the bad one for me, I'm assuming that will cost me another transfer fee, since it'd be a different serial number.

Posts: 3492 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm assuming that will cost me another transfer fee, since it'd be a different serial number.

That would suck...my local place charges more for a transfer fee than I used to pay for an Anderson lower a few years back.

I've had 5 or 6 of them. Most have been just fine. Can't tell them apart from the FN or Colt lowers on our Milsurp M16s at work. A couple had some extra flashing that needed cleaned up with a needle file in the bolt catch channel...a 2 minute fix.

I had one that had a similar issue to yours, but not as severe...the rear pin hole was off by just a hair. I filed it a tiny bit and was able to get the pin seated, but it was very snug. I will say there was no play in that upper to lower fit! Not the ideal solution, but it beat dealing with the RMA process on a $33 lower. That rifle is gone now, but it's leaving had nothing to do with that issue.

A buddy had one that the magwell was out of spec...couldn't seat the mag all the way. He "fixed" his with a file, too.

They're not something I'd use on a high-end build, and I definitely wouldn't pay the ~$100 lots of places are asking these days. Back in the day, though for $33 apiece, I think I came out ahead by rolling the dice on the ones I bought. I still own two of them, have been completely happy with both, and have never encountered any situation in which a more expensive brand would have served me better.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post