SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Going on a Bison Hunt. I need a Rifle...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going on a Bison Hunt. I need a Rifle... Login/Join 
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted
So my wife and my buddy's wife have given their blessing for us to go hunt Bison in Montana in 2019. I need a new rifle to make the trip complete. My only bias in the choice is that I would like to keep it a little traditional so I don't need a new 300 win mag. I am open on cartridge but have been reading that 45-70 seems to be the most popular choice.

I am looking for y'all to weigh in on rifle and caliber.

Thank you in advance.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Well, everyone should have a 10/22. Amazing things can be done with the rifle. Big Grin

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Put this in the FWIW category - Mike Venturino and Clint Smith went BPCR bison hunting once, and came back arguing that the .50 was better than the .45.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
45-70. How traditional? Sharps? Hi-wall? Lever gun? In the single shots, you can get any of the old timers you want. They will all kill a buffalo, unless you get one of the pipsqueak rounds like 38-55. In the lever gun, it is going to be 45-70.

But that .300 mag will do the job, too!

Or maybe you need a nice double rifle in .458 Win Mag, or even one of the old Nitro Express rounds.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
45-70 sounds about right.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Get one of these. It can handle anything you feed it. I'm going change out the scope with a Williams peep sight one of these days.

Marlin 1895 in 45-70

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.45-70 is a nice choice. A little more modern might be a .375 H&H Winchester 70. I know it's bison, not Cape Buffalo, but probably as close as most of us will ever get.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
big horn armory model 90a

http://www.bighornarmory.com/c...el-90a-454-casull-6/

Model 90A is 454 Casull. I would get it in stainless, grey laminate. have the muzzle threaded .

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I had a 45-70, had. I hated it and I am not recoil sensitive. I would be more prone to hunt it with a good big game rifle and cartridge that I would use going forward.

But I would understand if you want a rifle that you can always say. "this is my buffalo rifle". Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
.45-70 is a nice choice. A little more modern might be a .375 H&H Winchester 70. I know it's bison, not Cape Buffalo, but probably as close as most of us will ever get.

.375 H&H is actually a relatively pleasant cartridge to shoot. It shoots a heavy bullet at moderate velocity, so it doesn't hammer you or ruin huge swaths of meat like the high velocity magnums. You can shoot a whitetail deer with one and it looks about like it was shot with a .30-06.

It's a side note, but I think I might want something larger than a .375 H&H if I was hunting cape buffalo. My dad took a .375 H&H (a Winchester Model 70, incidentally) to Africa in the 80s and came within moments of being killed by a wounded buffalo that had taken multiple .375 bullets to the vitals (it started chasing him and literally died and collapsed on top of him at the moment it caught up to him). He always swore that if he ever went back he was going to buy a .416 Rigby.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a rifle made in Montana for a hunt in Montana? Montana Rife company, Cooper firearms for bolt action, or there is C.Sharpsarms for single shot. I think there are others

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
What type of hunt? Reservation? Private land?

Buffalo hunts can run the gamut from tough, long range shots on skittish bulls...to lay the gun over a fence and shoot them in a corral.

Way back when we had the first hunts here I drew a tag, Unfortunately they stopped the hunt two days before I was to show up in West Yellowstone. I was going to take my Win M-70 in .375 H&H with 300 gr Trophy Bonded bullets.

A .45-70 will surely work with proper placement.

DO look up the anatomy of the buffalo. They are a bit different than a deer.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 would do it....it’s traditional...depending on where you are standing.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
What type of hunt? Reservation? Private land?

Buffalo hunts can run the gamut from tough, long range shots on skittish bulls...to lay the gun over a fence and shoot them in a corral.

Exactly. I talked to a guy who stated his "hunt" was essentially having the guide drive them up to a herd, in a fenced pasture, and choosing which animal fit the bill. Buying a traditional gun for such a hunt is a bit odd.

Consider your future possibilities for this rifle -- type of game, distance to game, ammo, recoil. IMO there are better options than 45-70 for most game. A bolt action will be more accurate than a lever action, and will allow more optics options. There are calibers that will essentially do what the .45-70 will do with less recoil -- 338 Federal and 35 Whelen are a couple of options.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you also deer hunt in eastern woods, look at the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 450 Bushmaster. After hunting with one this year in Ohio (straight walled cartridges only) it has become my go to. Sight at 170, hold on crosshairs to 210. Roughly same energy as 45-70.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Bring a large enough cooler, too. Smile

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had the chance my 1885 model Browning 45-70 would get the nod. Load to whatever level you can handle and fire up the grill.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Bring a large enough cooler, too. Smile

Bison is wonderful meat!!

I've knew a guy that put a couple of chest freezers on a trailer to bring one back. Obviously on ice, not electric while driving.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For me it'd be an excuse to put a 45-70 in the stable.

The Marlin Model 1895SBL in the last Jurassic World movie carried by Chris Pratt I always thought was a sexy looking gun.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post