SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help With ID'ing Civil War Rifle Parts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help With ID'ing Civil War Rifle Parts? Login/Join 
posted
I stopped in a garage sale last week and picked up a couple of boxes of parts. Most of the parts were for P1853 Enfields and I have most of those parts ID'd. I was shocked to see that these garage sale finds were from the Civil War era.

I hope this type of thread is OK and not against any forum rules...not offering for sale

First one is a muzzle loader locking plate mechanism minus a few parts. It has "45" stamped in several places and I can't find any other markings.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deep apologies if I'm breaking the rules (or spirit/intent) of these boards, but I'm mostly a lurker on American Civil War Talk. It is currently undergoing maintenance, but they are packed with super knowledgeable folk. I spend much of my time on the weapons and ammunition sub-forum, and I'd be shocked if you did not have multiple, detailed answers with 24 hours.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Batty67 and I just registered there. I picked up a whole bunch of old gun parts and misc stuff at a garage sale for $20.00. I also got a Harley hat for $.25 and sold it on flea bay yesterday for $47.25....14 rifle/shotgun cleaning rods, lots of CVS muzzle loader stuff, and lots of old gun actions/hammers. I actually feel a little bad since I should easily make $750.00 of my $20.25 garage sale investment.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
muzzleloading forum and gunboards smokepole section are full go very knowledgeable folks (as well as here)

I cannot give you much info on the lock, other than the 45 is an assembly number, to keep the sear, tumbler etc all together when making and fitting it together

looks like it was made as percussion and the hammer boss or stud (the square part the hammer attaches to with a screw) looks to be flush,, that should be sticking out a bit more right?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post