SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Educate me on Mare’s Legs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on Mare’s Legs Login/Join 
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted
My dad came to me for guidance as he’s always wanted one in 45 Colt. No reason in particular, just a fun gun. I honestly don’t know much about them. What brands to we like? Models? I reload for .45 Colt, but mostly Ruger Redhawk stuff. I imagine they’re not suited for those type of loads.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy gives a good comparison of several brands:

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are an absolutely silly concept dreamed up by some TV writer for the show Dead or Alive and I suspect that almost every one will end up as a safe queen or pawn shop decoration. Because the only practical way to shoot one is from the hip and most shooters prefer to see nice small clusters on their targets.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
They are an absolutely silly concept dreamed up by some TV writer for the show Dead or Alive and I suspect that almost every one will end up as a safe queen or pawn shop decoration. Because the only practical way to shoot one is from the hip and most shooters prefer to see nice small clusters on their targets.

I don’t disagree. But did you ever really want something as a kid and get to a point in your life where you just said “screw it, I’m buying one” I think that’s where he’s at. Just wants
It for shits and giggles. Might shoot it once or twice. Might not.

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dads got one in 44...he leaves it in the truck for snakes when he’s at some kinda job site.

To me it’s a silly concept, but he can one hand it and he hits what he’s aiming at. I guess it heavier than a 44 revolver and that it doesn’t recoil as much.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Why a Mare's Leg?

Because .

Henry offers a .410 " Lever Action Axe" that would be good for exhibition shooting balloons, Oreos thrown in the air, and your occasional copperhead or chupacabra.

Holds five 2 1/2" inch shells.

And several variations of rimfire and centerfire pistol caliber Mare's Legs.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for some clever person to design a "forearm brace" for them. Then I might become very interested !!

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look ripe for a Form 1 build into an SBR. If the stocks are the same as the rifle stocks, it would be really easy.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are perfect to sbr. That’s exactly what I did with both a Rossi (.45 Colt) and a Henry (.357). You can buy a rifle stock directly from Henry. It was a little harder finding a full Rossi atock but they are out there if you look. (Maybe Rossi sells them now. They didn’t when I was looking). I really like both of them. The Henry is a little prettier, but the Rossi is lighter and works great. I put Skinner sights on the Rossi.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimacp:
[img] https://www.flickr.com/gp/186427890@N03/M8U89g[/img]

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimacp:
Yep, they are perfect to sbr. That’s exactly what I did with both a Rossi (.45 Colt) and a Henry (.357). You can buy a rifle stock directly from Henry. It was a little harder finding a full Rossi stock but they are out there if you look. (Maybe Rossi sells them now. They didn’t when I was looking). I really like both of them. The Henry is a little prettier, but the Rossi is lighter and works great. I put Skinner sights on the Rossi.

posted Hide Post
Dang! I was trying to edit my posts. How do I edit or get rid of the extras?