SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Winchester Model 71
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 71 Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Brother-in-law has a Model 71 in 348 he bought to hun elk. Didn't get around to using the gun as intended as has a nice Weatherby. Now he may want to part with the Model 71. Anyone have experience with the clever gun? And what would one be valued at if the rifle is in very good condition?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1532 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun broker has the 71 listed for $1500 - 6K depending on condition and model.
Essentially a more modern version of an 1886.
Only made for a little over 20 years.
.348 is the most common caliber.
Great gun!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've owned a Model 71 for more than 20 years and took some real nice wild pigs with it, until CA banned anything other than "leadfree" ammo for hunting. Finding good ammo was kind of a chore and I really stocked up on the Winchester 200 grain softpoints because I didn't reload. The bad news is the Winchester ammo is even more difficult to find, but there's good news in that Hornady is now offering it's FTX bullet as a "Leverevolution" and this looks like a real good (not just only) choice.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle,anf thanks for the info on the ammo.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Browning reproduction model 71. Have had it for > 20 years. One of the few guns that I won't/can't part with. Smile

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post