SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Whatever happened to the 6.8mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whatever happened to the 6.8mm? Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Just perusing gun sites and was fascinated how the "new" caliber 6.8mm may be the answer to multiple unasked questions.

So now, I can't even find one Mini 6.8 listed on GB. What happened?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Well, 6.8 was the latest and greatest. Then 6.5 became a thing for larger-than-intermediate cartridges. Then the 6.5 Grendel seemed to really start catching on at a faster rate. Now I suppose the 6.8 is coming back into fashion.

The only question is whether to invest in 7mm bullets or 6mm bullets in order to be ahead of the next fashion trend.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at a used 6.8 Mini locally. I already have a 6.8 AR but I like the Mini-14 platform as well.
I will stay invested in the 6.8 either way. I hope it's not a "trend"! Wink

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
Combination of several things.

Bill Alexander released the 6.5 Grendel trademark and allowed it to become SAAMI standardized.

IIRC 6.8 had better <300 yard ballistics (though it was negligible), 6.5 Grendel had better >300 yard ballistics.

6.8 had some military/LEO adoption but didn't go anywhere. I remember trudging through the 6.5 Grendel vs. 6.8 threads and the 6.8 guys would always revert back to SOCOM field use as the ultimate confirmation that 6.8 reigned supreme.

I believe SOCOM dropped 6.8 around the time Grendel was SAAMI approved. Fast forward to today and for every 6.8 mention, there's 10+ Grendel mentions. I've never seen anyone at the range shoot 6.8 and to be fair I haven't seen anyone shoot the Grendel but I've found Grendel casings on several occasions (along with some Beowulf cases). Maybe the 6.8 guys are better at tracking down their brass?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Remington engineers screwed up the 6.8 SPC. Someone there gave the 6.8 SPC a short throat because they transposed numbers in the chambering blueprint. Having to do with throat length from government research papers. The wrong numbers on blueprint were then submitted, to SAAMI by Remington and standardized. The Short throat 6.8 never lived up to orginal government testing of 6.8 velocity wise because of pressure problems. It would be like the difference between the 223 Remington and the 5.56 chambers. Eventually someone found what happened and came out with the 6.8 SPC specification or Spec II chamber that corrected it (the Chamber). But it was to late to fix Remington's mess the 6.8 ammo is loaded down to fire in short throat chamber.

The 6.5 Grendel has a lot going for it IMO. I'm playing around with a Howa mini action bolt gun in it these days. It does not take much more powder than a 5.56

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
Yes I understand that the Mini-14 6.8 does NOT have the SPC II chamber. Needs to be reamed. However as Jelly said, most factory 6.8 loads are NOT loaded to SPC II pressure.
I welcome correction if I am in error.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 781 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
6.8 Should’ve Purchased Creedmoor Wink

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyD:
Yes I understand that the Mini-14 6.8 does NOT have the SPC II chamber. Needs to be reamed. However as Jelly said, most factory 6.8 loads are NOT loaded to SPC II pressure.
I welcome correction if I am in error.

A number of companies. ( Ruger, Barrett, to name a couple ) never did sway from the old SAAMI spec barrels.

I snagged up a 16" S2W dd barrel for my lone 6.8 build, several years ago. Their 6.8 barrels are 1/11 twist with SPEC II chambers. Its ran everything I've fed it thus far, including some hot SSA loads from years ago.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Might as well throw the fact that Wolf came out with cheap steel case for 6.5 Grendel.

While we love ballistics, cheap ammo seems to reign supreme!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:
Might as well throw the fact that Wolf came out with cheap steel case for 6.5 Grendel.

You just have to be on your toes. Last Christmas PSA had Federal XM68GD - 6.8mm SPC 90gr Bonded SP Ammunition 20rds/$7.99. Before that the best deal was S&B 110gr FMJ 20rds/$11.99.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
6.8 never left.
Go check out 68forums.
I don't think I would gauge caliber popularity on the availability in the Mini rifle.
I've never met a person that has shot the Grendel.
The 6.8 seems to be way more popular around here.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe SOCOM uses 300blk.

Posts: 76 | Location: Montana | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I really like the round And have 16" rifle and 8.5" Pistol. Both are very accurate and are 100% reliable. Great hunting round in an AR platform.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I really like the 6.8spc.
I have one I built and parts for another just not built yet.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
From a sales standpoint, 6.8SPC is a dog. We can get all the factory 6.8 ammo that we want for the shop. But why? It doesn't sell worth a damn. Conversely we can't keep 6.5 Grendel loads in stock, and it's harder to come by when restocking time hits.

Personally I think 6.8SPC only appeals to the select few who understand what the benefits and advantages are with the caliber. Everyone else just see it as a more expensive way to use their ARs. Most of us bored folk who were busy looking for an alternative to .223/5.56 to spice things up saw a cheaper path of lesser resistance paved with 300 AAC Blackout ammo. Different mission statements, but saving $$$ on BCGs and magazines does speak volumes to guys and their build budgets. And factory 300BLK ammo is definitely less pricey than 6.5 or 6.8.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by sjames:

You just have to be on your toes. Last Christmas PSA had Federal XM68GD - 6.8mm SPC 90gr Bonded SP Ammunition 20rds/$7.99. Before that the best deal was S&B 110gr FMJ 20rds/$11.99.

Funny you mention this,I jumped on a bunch of that ammo myself.
Can't load for that price

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I have no idea....but I do see 6.8’s at the range periodically. I don’t know anyone with a 6.5 Grendel maybe because we don’t have a ton of really long ranges in the area. Personally, I like the 6.8

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I am decidedly NOT a rifle guy, for the most part.
(I own a couple 5.56, a .308 for longish range stuff, but I'm not "into" it).
But..... In my nearly useless opinion.... I always thought the 6.8SPC sounded, on paper, like the better cartridge. But then ALL that 6.8 and 6.5 stuff (Grendel, Creedmoor, Aloysius, whatever) just sort of went away.
Now its all about the 6.5,and somewhat suddenly it seems.

I know I have added nothing to this thread. But I have upped my post count. Smile

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I am decidedly NOT a rifle guy, for the most part.
(I own a couple 5.56, a .308 for longish range stuff, but I'm not "into" it).
But..... In my nearly useless opinion.... I always thought the 6.8SPC sounded, on paper, like the better cartridge. But then ALL that 6.8 and 6.5 stuff (Grendel, Creedmoor, Aloysius, whatever) just sort of went away.
Now its all about the 6.5,and somewhat suddenly it seems.

I know I have added nothing to this thread. But I have upped my post count. Smile

I like your style. Wink

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
So now, I can't even find one Mini 6.8 listed on GB. What happened?

Probably related to the Mini itself, rather than the 6.8 round.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post