SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hex Key Size of MOE Hand Guard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hex Key Size of MOE Hand Guard Login/Join 
Picture of Cobra21
posted
While it doesn't take an armorer, it darn sure takes someone smarter than me. I am trying to remove this hand guard (https://www.rainierarms.com/magpul-moe-handguard-carbine-8768/).

5/64th's is too big and 1/16th is too small which are the smallest I have in my standard hex key stash. Could this MOE from Magpul be a metric?

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You don't need to unscrew anything to remove the Magpul MOE handguard from your rifle.

I believe the "hex bolts" you're referring to on the underside of the MOE handguard are actually the rivets that hold the internal metal heat shield in place. So they cannot be unscrewed.

To remove the MOE handguard, you'll need to pull rearwards on the delta ring (the big ribbed circular ring just behind the handguard), then lift out the two pieces of the MOE handguard. Just like a standard M16/M4 handguard.

Some delta rings are pretty stiff, so you may need the added leverage of a delta ring tool to fully retract it.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd seen that handguard tool before, but had no idea how it was used (don't personally have one).
Luckily, my delta ring isn't so tight that it requires a tool.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
WOW...Thanks Rogue! You are absolutely correct. More elbow grease needed on the d-ring cleared the bottom piece and it came right off. And right again...rivets for the heat shield (that look strikingly similar to a small hex screw). Big Grin

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post