SIGforum
300 BLK dedicated mags a necessity?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2510061874

December 31, 2020, 03:07 PM
Oat_Action_Man
300 BLK dedicated mags a necessity?
Are the 300 BLK mags on the market a real necessity to shoot the caliber in an AR? Are there actual feeding issues caused by using 300 BLK in a 5.56 mag?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.
December 31, 2020, 03:26 PM
monoblok
Absolute necessity, no. Preferred, yes. The main issue with using 5.56 magazines is the strength of the magazine spring. 300BLK will wear out a 5.56 spring relatively fast due to the additional weight of the bullets, especially so when using subsonic loads that can have projectiles that are close to 4 times the weight of the typical 55gr bullets that are used for XM193, for instance.

-MG
December 31, 2020, 04:53 PM
sigfreund
As everyone probably knows, AR magazines have stiffening ribs on the interior surface of the mags. Because of the larger diameter of 300 Blackout bullets, they contact the front ribs that were designed for 0.224" bullets and that don’t touch the ribs. That causes the bullets of 300 BLK cartridges to be pushed at a slight angle toward the center of the magazines rather than being absolutely parallel with the barrel bore. The dedicated 300 BLK magazines I’m familiar with have lower/less prominent ribs and they don’t push the cartridges off line to that degree. I believe that may be why 223/5.56 mags hold fewer 300 BLK rounds than the cartridges they’re designed for.

In any event, I and the other people I know who have 300 BLK ARs use 223/5.56 magazines without any functioning problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 31, 2020, 09:18 PM
nhracecraft
I'll just leave this here... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
December 31, 2020, 09:53 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
I'll just leave this here...

Thanks. That pointed out the ribs I was referring to. I haven’t done too much with the heavier subsonic loads from full magazines and wasn’t aware of the slow feeding issue.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
January 01, 2021, 06:57 PM
Lefty Sig
My Rattler came with a Lancer 5.56 mag and I bought some extras. Due to the ammo situation I haven't shot the thing yet though. Not sure if they have the same issue as the Magpuls in the video.

A lot of the reason for dedicated 300BLK mags is to avoid mixing up your ammo and putting the wrong mag in.

Local shop had a 5.56 upper that someone accidentally put a mag of 300BLK in, getting mixed up at the range when their friend/relative was shooting 300BLK. Not a mistake you want to make.
January 02, 2021, 09:21 AM
Graniteguy
I prefer the Lancer dedicated 300 BO magazines.

I have a few GI mags that have a modified spring and feed lips that I am going to try this weekend. (a friend did the mods so we will see)
January 02, 2021, 11:32 AM
ArtieS
The best reason for a dedicated mag, or a different color mag is that a .300BO will chamber and fire in a 5.56 AR, and the results can be catastrophic. Sometimes you get a really long swaged bullet, and sometimes you get a complete and violent disassembly of the rifle. Neither is good.

A friend of mine who has both has black magazines and kit for his 5.56, and FDE magazines and kit for his .300BO to avoid this very problem.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
January 02, 2021, 12:00 PM
sigfreund
I haven’t been able to find the magazines I like in different colors, and I don’t like painting them, therefore my 300 Blackout mags have identification bands. There are at least a couple of different types:

https://www.amazon.com/Sightho...arking/dp/B07MVFMN8T
https://www.ammobands.com/

6.4/93.6

— Plato
January 02, 2021, 12:43 PM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

A lot of the reason for dedicated 300BLK mags is to avoid mixing up your ammo and putting the wrong mag in.

Local shop had a 5.56 upper that someone accidentally put a mag of 300BLK in, getting mixed up at the range when their friend/relative was shooting 300BLK. Not a mistake you want to make.

Better feeding and preventing mix ups.

This is what a .300 b/o bullet looks like after traveling most of the way through a 5.56 barrel:

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

January 02, 2021, 06:24 PM
Lefty Sig
^^^ Damn that's like a cartoon effect.
January 03, 2021, 11:15 AM
pulicords
My only .300 BLK is an FDE colored Tavor X95. The only FDE colored magazines I own are those used with this firearm and loaded with this ammunition. It really avoids confusion.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
January 03, 2021, 11:33 AM
MikeinNC
I only use my black pmags for 300BO
My USGI mags are for 5.56

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
January 03, 2021, 02:58 PM
MagnumU
I follow the same practice - FDE mags (or FDE MagPul magazine pulls) on magazines loaded with .300 Blackout.

Lancer recommends their 5.56 magazines for supersonic .300 Blackout and their .300 Blackout magazines for subsonic.
January 04, 2021, 11:42 AM
SIG4EVA
I use ETS mags for my 300 blackout, and pmags for 5.56. Very easy to identify.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
January 04, 2021, 12:45 PM
rscalzo
quote:

Easily done by specialized markings.

My local shop laser engraves Magpul magazines with the caliber.

I also use a bright yellow electrical tape around the magazine to differentiate them.

I've shot quite a lot of ammo, both sub and supersonic using a standard GI and Magpul magazines with zero issues.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
January 04, 2021, 02:21 PM
Oat_Action_Man
I'd just put colored electrical tape on them to differentiate. I put red tape around my range/training/beater mags, and I have some blue tape I haven't used yet, which I can put on 300 mags.

I'll probably pick up some of the Lancer mags. I generally prefer them to Magpul.

January 04, 2021, 02:56 PM
Dwill104
I’ve got elastic bands marked 300 BO wrapped around the lower part of each mag.
January 04, 2021, 03:09 PM
gw3971
I have had feeding issues using 556 mag with 300BO. I bought magpul mags for 300 ad they have been flawless.
January 04, 2021, 06:31 PM
Oat_Action_Man
Just ordered 4 Lancer mags.

Would have gotten more but I was primarily ordering 7.62 ammo and, well, I don't even have a 300 BLK AR setup yet. Just preparing for the future....