SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Where to buy Ruger SR762? *Received the rifle — some oddities*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to buy Ruger SR762? *Received the rifle — some oddities* Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
I was just about to buy a Ruger SR762 from Buds but they’re now showing as ‘Out of Stock’.

Should have bought it yesterday Mad.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can buy one right now? I see some on Gun Broker but I’ve never used that site and I wonder if they’re actually in stock.

Thanks

ETA: I found a GB auction and found a phone number for the shop. Turns out they have 2 in stock (brand new) and he sold it to me for $1,495 + $35 shipping Eek. That’s $300 less than Buds and ~$400 less than other places I can find online. This if my first time NOT buying from Buds so I’m a little leery but their GB rating was perfect so I feel good about it.

Does anyone here have the SR762? Looks like a sweet shooter with excellent reviews. Ruger started changing out the stock trigger in 2016 to the Elite 452 model (early SR762 had a lot of complaints about the trigger).

Cant wait to get it in my hands. Will be buying a suppresor for it too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Copefree,

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That's about what I paid for mine at the LGS, who has them in stock.

I looked at quite a few .308 rigs and decided on the Ruger.
Zero issues with mine and the two stage trigger is a nice touch. Also has the Magpul PSL stock instead of the rattly MOE one.
Upper to lower fit has some play but not as bad as some other .308 factory guns I was looking at. A small auto A/C o-ring under the lug snugs it down tight.

Something happened to the finish on the left lower, looks like poor prep or it was contaminated when finished. Small bubbles that can be flicked off.
Was going to send it back but decided I'm going to have it Cerekoted anyway.

The rear peep doesn't fold like a Magpul one and will not fit under a scope unless you file it down a bit.

What you see is what you get pretty much, no other hand guard and you have to drive pins out of the gasblock and remove it to be able to get the HG's off. Not a big deal really until you want to wipe the barrel down. Which is why I decided on Cerekote.

The flash hider is functional, need a tarp to shoot prone though as it vents 360 deg.
I went with a Precision Armament EFAB hybrid muzzle thingy that works well and isn't obnoxious.
I had to use two timing washers as Ruger's muzzle to shoulder is longer than others.

I ditched the carbine action and stock for a Luth-AR MBA1 stock using an A2 extension, .308 rifle buffer and spring.
Topped it off with a Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS scope.

Tossed the charging handle in the drawer and I'm using a Radian Raptor instead.

Don't regret getting it at all.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Nice! That’s a good looking rifle.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of this gun. I am intrigued! looks like a great gun.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It's been out for 5 years now.

The first few years were not good ones.
It seems it took a bit to get it sorted out.

They had to relocate the mag release and the carrier was eating the buffer alive.

Those issues have been addressed and the later models have been good to go.
2 other guys at work have one, theirs have the newer lower and carrier but came with the mil-spec trigger. Neither has any trouble with theirs either.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you get yourself a LAW folder adaptor and a Ruger Precison Rifle stock you can build this:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: homie,

Posts: 635 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ oh I like that!

posted Hide Post
The rifle came into my FFL today and I went and picked it up.

This was sold as brand new and although it doesn’t appear to ever have been fired, I do see some oddities.

It came with three Magpul magazines (as Ruger advertises) but they are 25 round mags, not 20 round (as Ruger advertises). Two of the magazines were still in the package, one was not. The packages that the magazines are in have “Ruger SR762” official stickers on them.

The serial number dates it back to 2015, I believe, according to Ruger’s website — I will be calling them tomorrow to verify.

Pre-2016, the SR762s had an awful trigger (gritty 10+ pound pull) and Ruger started changing them out in 2016 to the Ruger Elite 452 with a 4.5lb pull — the trigger on my rifle feels excellent. And about 4.5-5lbs. I’ll be measuring it tomorrow.

The owners manual is missing. But it came with the original Ruger cardboard box (with matching serial number), carrying case, and other packaging — it looks brand new.

At $1,500 it’s at least $300 cheaper than anywhere I can find online and I’m happy with the deal. I just want to learn more about its history.

I’m also really looking forward to shooting it.

posted Hide Post
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Ruger (wow, super nice customer service by the way).

Indeed the rifle was manufactured in January 2014 but they were able to confirm that I am the first owner of it Confused.

She said it’s never been sent back for service to Ruger. I was assuming it had been as the trigger feels like the upgraded variant they started putting in these rifles (I believe) in 2015 or 2016. I will be testing trigger pull later today and that will give me the answer — it feels really good though.

I told her it came with three 25 round Pmags and she confimed that it actually should have came with three 20 rounders. She’s not sure what happened there but guessed that Ruger at some point sent them to the distributor (perhaps the ordinal mags were missing or damaged).

She remembered that I mentioned the only thing missing from the packaging was the owners manual and they’re dropping one in the mail for me today.

This here’s a mutant rifle I guess!

I topped it off with the Primary Arms 1-8 scope (just as Powermad did above) and the Amazon bipod.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Sweet rifle.

We are damn near neighbors, where do you shoot long guns at?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Looks like the stock is the first version.
Nice on the mags.
I didn't get a manual either for some reason.

For metal mags avoid the ASC ones, complete crap.
D&H steel mags have been good to go and are $20

Need to pester Ruger about getting a spare bolt/carrier group.
Seems they want you to send the rifle to have one fitted. Sounds like BS to me, need to call in and see about that.

I have an extra Luth stock kit if you're interested.
Optics Planet was supposed to send me just an A2 tube, buffer and spring. They sent me a stock kit for a 5.56
The stock and tube will work on a. 308 but a. 308 rifle buffer and spring will be needed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Sweet rifle.

We are damn near neighbors, where do you shoot long guns at?

I go to the outdoor rifle range in Kenmore. It’s only a 100 yard range (if you’re a member I think you have access to 300 yard range) and you can only load one round at a time in your magazine but hey, it’s better than nothing.

You know of something better by chance?

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I used to be a member at Kenmore when I lived right next to them. That was about 15 years ago.

I won’t cast aspersions, so I’ll just say that I hope they are “different” now... Wink

There is a spot in the woods out of Granite Falls I go to for blasting, but not able to shoot more than about 50 yards. Not good for sighting in or practicing fundamentals.

I am in Marysville, Marysville Gun Club has a good reputation but unfortunately is members only with a 18-24mo wait list. They ARE open to public, but only on Thursdays. I am planning on going Christmas week to christen my incoming M1A and sight a scope in on a bolt action I have.

Was just wondering if there was a something else in the area I wasn’t aware of, wishful thinking I guess.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Oh I hear you when you mention Kenmore. To me it’s just a place I can go shoot rifles 100 yards and that’s the end of it — pretty pathetic that it’s my “best” option around here.

I measured the trigger earlier — 8lbs. So it’s definitely not the Elite 452 trigger as I had hoped.

posted Hide Post
So where has the rifle been for the past 4 years?

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle but your bipod looks to be on backwards (legs fold forward).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That certainly looks to be a first production rifle. Was is made in NH?
New production rifles are made in NC now.
The grip and stock are first run, it would have had the problematic steel mags also, which explains the 25 rnd Pmags. Probably swapped out before sale.

The first run ones had problems with the carrier eating the buffer alive and they redesigned the rear profile of the carrier.

I'll go dig up some pics I found of the early issues they had.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
So where has the rifle been for the past 4 years?

Good question. When I asked Ruger that they simply said it was probably sitting with a distributor. I bought this rifle from a gun shop in PA called Roll Call. It was a Gun Broker auction. When I talked to them on the phone when buying it they said they had “bought out an FFL” and acquired, among other things, two of these rifles.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Nice rifle but your bipod looks to be on backwards (legs fold forward).

Not backwards — that’s exactly how I want it. In fact, isn’t it pretty common to face them forward?! If they were to fold backwards I’d have very little space to grip the rifle. Also, if they fold forward there is no risk of the bipod collapsing when applying any forward pressure to the rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
That certainly looks to be a first production rifle. Was is made in NH?
New production rifles are made in NC now.
The grip and stock are first run, it would have had the problematic steel mags also, which explains the 25 rnd Pmags. Probably swapped out before sale.

The first run ones had problems with the carrier eating the buffer alive and they redesigned the rear profile of the carrier.

I'll go dig up some pics I found of the early issues they had.

Yep, NH. It’s definitely an early-run model. Has the 8lb trigger, too (not the nicer one they put in later models).

Sounds like Ruger will change these out for you and, should I have any other issues, replace the entire rifle as well. We’ll have to see how she shooots.

Pics would be great, thanks!

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
First run lower with mag catch to low.

Later production lower with the mag catch relocated higher, almost touching the bolt release.

Early carrier with no chamfer.

Buffer damage.

New carrier with chamfer on inside.

Some changes were made to the upper but not sure what.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Remove 4 pins, 2 screws and the FH to get the handguard and gas system stripped.

Not my pic.