SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Moderately priced scope and mount for Marlin 30/30?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moderately priced scope and mount for Marlin 30/30? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
So I picked up a Mid 80’s vintage Marlin 30/30 because of SF recommendations. It is going to my son so I can get my Winchester 94 back. I would like to have it set up for him with a decent scope and mount/rings. I would like to stay around $200 or under but want quality that will hold up. He will be deer hunting in The UP of MI with it.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd look at Weaver or Nikon.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
You might also take a look at the Redfield Revolution series...made here as a subsidiary of
Leupold with a lifetime warrantee (they are as far as I can tell the VX1)...I have been very pleased with my 2-7X33 with the Accu-range reticle...

https://www.amazon.com/Redfiel...=redfield+revolution

Edit...I am also a fan of the steel Leupold rings...I have the QD rings to remove the scope easily from my AR...but the regular style Torx head rings would be great on a hunting rifle if the QD feature wasn't needed...

https://www.brownells.com/opti...ings-prod116741.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
That ^^^ Redfield is the exact scope I have on one of my Marlin 30-03s. With Leupold mounts. It is the perfect size for the cartridge. Anything larger would be a waste. When Leupold first released them, they were selling for $139. You could look at their Freedom line too.

Say what you want about scopes on levers, but the rifle is way more effective with mounted glass over traditional iron sights.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nikon or Vortex. I have heard about, but not tried the Redfields, although they seem to be worth the look. I have shot with the Nikon, and own a Vortex.

ETA, for what it's worth, I have a 1x red dot on my .35 Remington Marlin 336. It looks a little funky, but works beautifully inside of 100 yards, which is my use for the gun.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Nikon or Vortex. I have heard about, but not tried the Redfields, although they seem to be worth the look.

Basically...Leupold bought the Redfield brand name back in 2009 or so and started producing scopes carrying the name in Oregon at a somewhat better (cheaper) price point than their VX-1 series. The Revolution series of scopes are made at the Leupold factory (with Japanese glass as I've been told)...the Revenge series is manufactured and imported from either China or the Philippines (as are the Weaver, Nikon and other "budget" glass...Nikon is pretty good...all my Weaver scopes are the old steel tubes from the 70s).

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I would never put a Vortex optic on a 30-30. You need to keep the optic small, light, and handy, like the carbine itself. Keep your options to a 1" tube, and the objective to 33mm. The 2-7x33 is ideal, or perhaps even a 1.5-5x20. 30mm tubes are a complete waste on a 336.

You just aren't going to need to adjust your elevation enough to need a 30mm scope. 30-30 is not a long range caliber, and you won't (shouldn't) be shooting beyond 200 yards at game, ever. Therefore, 30mm tubes add bulk and are ugly(ier) on a lever gun than a 1" tube, with no added benefit. So Vortex is out.

I could see a red dot sight being highly useful, though.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
1-4x20 Leupold VX II. If you want to spend more, then the 1.5-5x20 VX III

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Leupold Rifleman or VXI in 3-9x. Those should fit within your budget. I used Burris Signature rings on all my firearms.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

ETA, for what it's worth, I have a 1x red dot on my .35 Remington Marlin 336. It looks a little funky, but works beautifully inside of 100 yards, which is my use for the gun.

I once had a Weaver Quick Point red dot (they were unique to say the least) on a Marlin .44 mag Model 94 back in the day...it worked well enough but the teasing I suffered around the deer camp campfire because of the "shape" was brutal Big Grin...I do wish I had it today.

Jimmy Buffet

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Shotgun scopes are better suited for the 30/30 Marlin because the parallax is usually set for 65 - 75 yards.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post