SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig MPX aftermarket trigger?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MPX aftermarket trigger? Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
I am thinking of picking up an MPX so my MCX won’t feel so lonely. I know the stock trigger leaves a bit to be desired and will be looking to upgrade. I have seen that Timney, Wilson Combat and Geissele offer MPX triggers. Does anyone have experience with these or any others I haven’t mentioned?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Timney two-stage in mine right now. It’s not their MPX specific trigger, but an earlier AR-9 trigger they said would work with the MCX. It work fine, no issues, and certainly a lot better trigger pull than the stock trigger. Just picked up the Geissele trigger, after waiting for one of their sales, but haven’t installed it yet.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Timney after market MPX trigger. It is excellent. Also have the new Timney Sig OEM flat trigger. It’s pretty good. A bit stiffer than the other but very crisp.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the Timney and the Wilson. Be before it was figured out what might work and survive I shot the stock trigger a lot (thousands of rounds), its not bad. But in any case I happen to like the wilson better than the Timney in almost every category...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the black housing MPX flat trigger Timney, that Timney says is exactly the same as the one Sig uses and sells. This is an updated design to be more reliable than the original Timney MPX triggers.

I prefer and use Geissele in AR's, and would consider the Geissele MCX trigger, but I'm a little leary of their new MPX trigger and the recoil spring set they tell you to "tune" the MPX with. Perhaps Geissele is trying to meet a higher level of reliability to match their other triggers, but it is a little strange.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I have the black housing MPX flat trigger Timney, that Timney says is exactly the same as the one Sig uses and sells. This is an updated design to be more reliable than the original Timney MPX triggers.

I prefer and use Geissele in AR's, and would consider the Geissele MCX trigger, but I'm a little leary of their new MPX trigger and the recoil spring set they tell you to "tune" the MPX with. Perhaps Geissele is trying to meet a higher level of reliability to match their other triggers, but it is a little strange.

I believe that you aren’t required to use the extra recoil springs. They are an option to tune the action to the ammo, in case there are issues with the factory port size. I doubt that the Geissele trigger is less robust than the Timney trigger.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I put the Geissele on my MCX last year and love it but that is a big price on the MPX trigger when the Wilson Combat is $160 cheaper. Just wanted to get an idea if the price justifies the price difference.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the details on an MPX trigger. I can't state if Wilson Combat triggers drop in.

I have single stage Wilson triggers on all my AR10s and AR15s. I like them -- crisp break with a short and positive reset. They all break at 4 pounds or just a little under. They feel a little heavy compared to my competition bolt action rifles, but their break feels quite light compared to a stock AR15 trigger.

For a while I had a Wilson 2-stage, but I really didn't care for it. I thought of it as a 1.5 stage. There are other companies that do a better job at a 2-stage trigger.

You should first consider whether you want a one-stage or a two-stage trigger. I recommend keeping the same style across multiple rifle platforms.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wilson TTU 9mm drops in on an MPX and works fine. Its even supported for this use (lots of stuff drops in but doesn't work very long). Two stage, but it personally works fine for me in PCC type competition and I like it better than the 683 Timney.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
I put a Hiperfire Eclipse trigger in my MPX and mainly use it for PCC competitions. I really like this trigger, a great improvement over the factory trigger.

Posts: 754 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with the KE arms single stage SLT-1 drop in trigger. I use on 2 MPX with 1000s of rounds over the last couple of years. I destroyed a Geissele prior to that. It was before they had an MPX rated unit.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Wilson installed in my MPX and it dropped right in and has worked fine ever since. Trigger weight is less than the tuned single stage JP trigger in my AR but I can hammer out doubles all day long without coming off the target. I use the carbine for local carbine, pistol, shotgun matches and maybe PCC if I ever get around to shooting Pcc matches.

I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Posts: 270 | Location: Oregon | Registered: May 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the LaRue MBT 2S in my MPX. I've fired 2638 rounds with it and no trigger problems so far. $87.00

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of Geissele triggers.

Originally I installed a Geissele SSA trigger in my MPX. Took it out a while ago and reinstalled the original SIG trigger and bridge based on Geissele’s recommendation. The MPX then went in the safe as the SIG trigger was horrendous.

This past weekend I installed the Geissele MPX trigger with trigger bridge and middle weight recoil spring set. Put 300 rounds of 124gr Speer Lawman through the MPX on Saturday. The MPX is fun to shoot again.

The Geissele trigger with bridge does drop in the MPX without removing the safety. Not cheap even with the 20% off sale for Halloween but, worth it in my opinion.

ETA: I also use the Geissele MCX trigger.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post