SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    HK 91 / PTR 91 scope mount options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK 91 / PTR 91 scope mount options Login/Join 
posted
Afternoon all!
I've been wanting to add a HK 91 or clone to the collection for some time but have been thinking about optic mounting options....With the HK 91 you are pretty much stuck with a claw mount (30 mm rings or Hensoldt Fero scope set up) but with the PTR 91 there is the opportunity now to have a Picatinny rail or HK claw mount mounting points.

Question:
If you had your choice---claw mount or pic rail

Choices:
Claw mount
Picatinny Rail

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I bought a PTR with the rail mount a few months back and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not familiar with claw type mounts in the least but knew there's basically no shortage of rail mount options so I went that route.

I put a Primary Arms 4-14 ACSS scope on it using a PEPR mount. Looks good and is a nice shooting rifle.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
IMO, the mounting system is less of an issue than the cost of the actual firearm.

HK91s are battle rifles.

Unless you have to have an original German HK91, I would get a PTR91 offering. If it's going to be a shooter, then go with the less expensive, easier to get model, bonus is that it comes with a Pic rail for optics mounting.

If it's a collector, then you'd get the HK91, and never mount a claw mount to it otherwise, you'd scratch the hell out of the receiver (oh, and shooting it is going to ding your receiver).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I went with the claw mount for my mp5, but I'll admit I did it solely for the aesthetic reasons.

Been super pleased with it, and lIke the fact I can use the iron sights with the see through mount on my Romeo 5 dot.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have an HK91 and came very close to purchasing a Hensoldt 4x and claw mount a couple years ago. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I've looked at the two piece picatinny add-on options, but again, I'm not convinced it won't marr the snot out of the receiver. LDD is spot-on about all of it.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I went Claw/Hensoldt on my HK91. Also have the reticle illuminator, bi pod with metal feet, and such.

The rifle and all options are complete, but I don't shoot it anymore. The SCAR 17s put a stop to my HK91 usage.

If you are a shooter/collector, original Claw is the only way to go. If not, lesser offerings are your choice.

H&K-Guy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: H&K-Guy,

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I have B-Square mounts.

Apparently, they are not made anymore

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a B&T mount on my ARS built 91k. Works great with an Aimpoint CompM2.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I used an ARMS claw mount on an HK-91 as that what was commonly available and affordable at the time I had it, although as Voshterkoff off points out there are plenty of Pic. rail options available now, and have been available for many years now.

Most of the HK-91s that I've seen over the years already have the typical flaws in the finish from both scope mounts as well as ejection port marks so quite frankly it never bothered me to use a claw mount on it. I suppose an 9X series that was refinished or a mint one that had never been fired might cause me to re-think that, but a shooter I wouldn't think twice about worrying about finish marks.

The ARMS claw mount was absolutely rock solid and offered repeatable mounting and zeroing. It also offered the option of a see-through solution so that the factory diopter sight was still usable (although the diopter drum lightly rubbed against the mount and, due to the stiff drum and tight clearance issues, it was a bit difficult to twist with the claw mount in place.)

About the only downside to claw mounts is that they might tend to raise a shooter's head placement slightly which means the cheek weld won't be optimal. But it is still doable.

Given the option of a lower Picatinny rail mount option today I'd probably forgo the option of the instant back-up diopter sight use and go that route... but a claw mount isn't a terrible choice either.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post