SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    my XM177 'Commando" tribute clone
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my XM177 'Commando" tribute clone Login/Join 
Picture of bolo4tom
posted
i have 8 Colts and a Predator Custom AR. this Colt 6933 SBR is my absolute favorite. I purchased it thru a broker from the PA State Police several years back. first pic is how ive had it for a long while. Vietnam era furniture and triangle flash hider etc. I decided to change it up a bit and create a 'clone' of the XM177. second pic, I know there are a few subtle differences,(bayo lug, A2 sight adjustment, pistol grip and tear drop fwd assist) aside from those soon to be corrected deficiencies, im pretty happy with how this little package looks and shoots. any other Colt aficionados in here?

XM177 clone

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sharp looking little package- If you want to add a teardrop forward assist, I'll look in my parts box and see if I have an extra floating around and instant karma it to you.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking! There is something to be said for the "minimalist" Colt carbine. Years ago I picked up a NOS Colt 14.5" barrel, 1/12 twist with the intention of doing an XM177 clone. I decided I didn't want to cut it down so I turned it into more of a Colt 654 clone. Used a Nodak upper and lower, Colt buttstock and 4 position extension, A1 grip, flat delta ring assembly, and CAR handguards. Found an old Colt chrome key bolt carrier with no forward assist notches and installed an LMT bolt. I used an A2 aperture for the rear sight and put a NM post in the front (with the short sight radius it makes a better sight picture for me) and had an extended A2 installed. It is fun as hell to shoot and pretty accurate. Zeroed at 50 yards and I can hit 15X15 inch plates all the way out to 250 with XM1923 offhand all day long. I was even able to hit some old oxygen bottles out at 450 with a few shots (and a rest lol).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
You need a grenade ring on that sucker. Would go a long way in helping it look more authentic. Also dump the crush washer.(Looks like it's on backwards anyway).

XM177 Grenade Ring

-----

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Nice shortie. When I was still in the NG I had an honest to God actual GAU-5 show up at our TAG match one year. I think I still have a picture somewhere.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a bag of parts to build a XM177 copy, just need to do it. The bare carbine is the best there is, I think. My work Colt shorty has a red dot, back up iron rear sight, and a small light. That’s it. No microwaves or other crap hanging off of it.

My favorite personally owned carbine is a 1977 Colt SP1 carbine. Very light and a great shooter.

Enjoy. You have a couple nice carbines!

Posts: 4021 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by m499:
You need a grenade ring on that sucker. Would go a long way in helping it look more authentic.

Needs an A1 upper and grip too.

And tape a Singlepoint red dot to the carry handle for extra "spec ops high speed cool guy" cred. Big Grin

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I really miss from my USAF days:
My GAU-5.
This fall, I may get enough stuff off PSA to build a memory. Sorta.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My GAU-5.

Troy makes one that's a faithful repro

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will take a look at Troy. Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My GAU-5.

Go to retroblackrifle.com to see what you need for a GAU-5. Good site with a lot of good info.

Posts: 4021 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
thanks guys. im still looking for a few needed parts but for now, im gonna stay with the A2 upper bc I switched around a flat top for the A2..still all Colt

the GAU, ive only seen a cpl in our arms room way back in the day..was never assigned to anyone that I knew off...Troy does make a nice re-creation.

Mbinky, nice rifle. I like that slick upper w/o fwd assist

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
It looks good, but it needs a straight grip,without the finger grove, and a straight handguard retainer ring ... I like its original look, but it's your gun, so it should be whatever makes you happy!

My M16 came from a California prison, I think it was produced around 1967.

However I immediately reconfigured it with a 11.5" Colt Commando de-mille parts kit and MagPul furniture:

Then, I bought all the "Barbie accessories" starting with a Colt LMG kit, but I ended up putting it on a preban AR15 A2 lower ... the kit was still new in box and I couldn't bring myself to shoot it, so it's still unfired.

Also a Colt 9mm SMG parts kit with the 3rnd burst trigger, a CMMG 22 kit, 7.62x39 kit, a 5.7 upper and after searching a couple years found a f/a bolt for the 5.7 upper & cut the 16" barrel down to 8"; lastly I convinced myself I needed a belt-fed and bought a Ares Defence MCR.

They're all fun, But for the most part, I shoot it with the above pictured 11.5" barrel on it ... and all the original parts are safely tucked away.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimberkid,

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This is the GAU-5 that showed up at my TAG match in 2007.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post