SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thinking of a deer rifle, lever action help please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of a deer rifle, lever action help please! Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
So I'm thinking of doing some deer hunting, Whitetails, NC/VA area. I do not have an appropriate rifle (several 223s, one 243Win - but with very heavy barrel and 6-24X scope, not built for hanging out in the woods and climbing tree stands). Love the thought of lever rifles, seem well suited to the task, however, don't like rainbow trajectories that most of these flat point bullets have. So I was thinking of either a Browning BLR or Savage 99, preferably in 308Win. Could be convinced of other options as well, but would require ability to mount optics. Please, lend me your thoughts and experiences.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends took a buck this fall with his .30-30 lever action carbine. About seventy yards, he said. Open sights--though not the original half-buckhorn in the rear that it originally had.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the history and "feel" of the Savage 99 , so that would be my choice. I have nothing bad to say about the Browning though... JMO

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No complaints with my Marlin 336 out to about 115yds with flat-nosed soft-point Core-Lokts.

Plan on switching to Leverevolution if I ever shoot up what 30-30 I have left. Likely to be a while, since I now use a 270WIN Tikka.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Henry Long Ranger in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor is an interesting new rifle.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig operator:
The Henry Long Ranger in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor is an interesting new rifle.

Yes...The Henry Long Ranger would be one of my first looks. I'm just always impressed by the fit&finish of each one I own and handle.

I don't own the LR but it looks very interesting.

I think they are very well done personally.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I love my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Firing Hornady LeveRevolution 200 grain rounds and zeroed at 200 yards, it is 3.8 inches high at 100, spot on at 200 and 6.2 low at 250. That's kind of a rainbow, but not too bad considering most shots in NC/VA terrain are likely to be 175 or less. It's also a nice shooting, heavy hitting caliber. Where I am in central Florida, I'm either hunting over an open field with .243, .270 or .300 mag, or I'm in cover so tight, a slug shotgun would be fine. There isn't much intermediate woodland around where I am.

If I was going for a lever gun to shoot standard spitzer bullet center fire cartridges, I think that the BLR is the nicest, hands down. You mentioned the .308, which is fine, particularly if you plan to shoot a lot, or are already invested in that caliber. But it also comes in 7mm-08 which is a particularly fine deer round, or .358 Winchester which is a .308 case necked up to .35 cal. giving 180 gr. at 2,700; 200 gr. at 2,500; or a hammering .250 gr. at 2,200. That puts it nicely into black bear and big hog territory, with the added advantage that slower bullets result in less blood shot meat than do higher velocity bullets. A gun like the BLR truly gives you the opportunity to tune your load to the hunting conditions.

Hmmm, I may just need to get one of those...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my 94 30/30. I picked up a ruger american predator in 308, so i could run it with a can. I picked up some subs from georgia ammo. super groups at 100 yds. Through and through chest double lung wounds with 308 subs. I have to say i was in love.

I also used my 300blk out with subs this year and 200 grain subs. Same thing double lung . I had one shot through both lower portions of the lungh and shredding the heart.

The longest shot with either of those subs is 140 yds. Shortest about 40. That works well as the longest shot i can safely take on my property is 230yds.

The other thing I used this year was a swedish mauser carbine in 6.5 swede. Put on a 14x1 to 5/8x24 thread adapter. I then was able to put a sandman ti can on it. I dook one doe at 198 yds with it. wonderful round. I am seriously considering having a custom gun made for the 6.5 swede round.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Browning is a fantastic gun but if you're looking for a cool feel in a rifle, might I suggest a Ruger No 1. The action is about 4" shorter than a bolt or lever gun so you can get a longer barrel in the same OAL.

Or get a Mannlicher with a 20" barrel and you'll have a grear compact rifle.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The Browning is a fantastic gun but if you're looking for a cool feel in a rifle, might I suggest a Ruger No 1. The action is about 4" shorter than a bolt or lever gun so you can get a longer barrel in the same OAL.

I guess the love for Ruger is OK (or not). While you're out looking, take a peak at the Browning 1885 or B78. They're even shorter due to the better design of the falling block action. Probably 3" or so shorter than the #1 everyone seems to promote.

One of mine does have a scope, a 1x4 variable. The accuracy is better than I can shoot.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Rainbow trajectories" are only a problem for people who don't know how to shoot. Or people who don't know how to hunt. Or both. Wink (that should rile some up) Razz

You're going to hunt on the east coast, from a tree stand, how far do you think you'll need to shoot? Smile

As much as I like 99's, I don't think of them as lever actions. Despite their lever actions. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
"Rainbow trajectories" are only a problem for people who don't know how to shoot. Or people who don't know how to hunt. Or both. Wink (that should rile some up) Razz

You're going to hunt on the east coast, from a tree stand, how far do you think you'll need to shoot? Smile

As much as I like 99's, I don't think of them as lever actions. Despite their lever actions. Big Grin

Obviously, having never shot at a deer, or sat in a tree stand, I DON’T know how to hunt. But I can envision that stand being in the woods, or on the edge of a field, but not a miles long filed like I hunt pheasant in out west. So shots from 25-200 yards or perhaps more. I don’t know where I’ll be hunting. But when the time comes to pull the trigger, I’d like a flat trajectory to take a bit of thinking out of the equation. Comprende?

That said, those are beautiful rifles.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:

I guess the love for Ruger is OK (or not). While you're out looking, take a peak at the Browning 1885 or B78. They're even shorter due to the better design of the falling block action. Probably 3" or so shorter than the #1 everyone seems to promote.

One of mine does have a scope, a 1x4 variable. The accuracy is better than I can shoot.

Yeah the action is shorter but they tend to wear extra long barrels and are typically heavier than No 1s. They also have an exposed hammer so one has to decide if they want that. Great guns though and on average, more accurate than the typical No 1.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1- Go to the pawn shop and seek out a JM marked Marlin 336.
2- Ditch the factory sights and install an XS full length rail with ghost ring sights.
3- Install Optic of your choice.
4- Shoot and enjoy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The vitals of a deer are about 10" in diameter. I use a setup similar to Arties's, except in 45/70 with an Aimpoint Micro, and last time I tried, I put 10 rounds of Hornady Leverolution on a 9" paper plate at 200 yards. That's good enough considering where I hunted in Michigan the longest shot possible was 130 yards across a food plot of our creation. The longest shot I've taken with the 45-70 on a deer was 90 yards. The longest shot I've taken on a deer was 110 yards with a 7mm Rem. Mag. and 3-9 scope. Neither deer knew what hit them or cared about which one shot flatter.

My point is, I wouldn't knock a light weight, short barreled, lever action in 30-30, 35 Rem., or 45-70 with a simple red dot for under 200 yards (175 with 35 Rem.). Their trajectory's are plenty flat. A 308 will take you out to about 275 yards with a similar drop.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Can you forego the tree stand and bag one from stalking? It's much more satisfying and makes the advantages of a lever action more prominent.

Otherwise it sounds like what you really want, but won't admit (and I get it), is a 30-06 bolt action with a 3-9x just-about-anything optic.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah the action is shorter but they tend to wear extra long barrels and are typically heavier than No 1s.

First time I've encountered anyone complaining about a longer barrel in a same length gun. I always felt it was a huge advantage (in a center fire). It results in significantly more velocity. It can move a 30-30 up to 308 velocity or a 308 up to 30-06.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Cas, I don't know how accurate your Savage 99s are. I had a friend who had one in .300 Savage, and he traded it away because he couldn't hit shit with it. He's a decent rifleman, so I don't know if it was him, the sights, or the rifle.

Not trying to cast aspersions on yours, but my friend's was not particularly accurate, and was wondering about your experience.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Marlin 336 in .35 Remington

It’s a great deer rifle and has a little more power than the 30-30

It’s what I grew up carrying in the woods of PA deer hunting.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Brought to mind, only about rifles instead of pants! Smile

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post