SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SBR paperwork services?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SBR paperwork services? Login/Join 
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted
I purchased a preban AR that I can contact the manufacturer for a statement of preban authenticity in order to register it in my state. That is a requirement that I have to fulfill in CT, the atf wont sbr without the registration letter.

So now I am needing to apply for SBR and I am confused. I have a trust from heavy D here on the forms that I purchased suppressors with and did not have to do all these different forms.

Does anyone know of a service that I can pay a fee and they handle all this.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
If you have a good FFL that sells and handles NFA items, I would try them first. I have an FFL that will fingerprint, do the paperwork, and store items if needed (to negate possible constructive intent) for $100. All I have to do is bring it to the sheriff for sign off which usually takes 2 days for repeat customers and a week for first time buyers.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Things changed a while back WRT Trusts and the paperwork req'd for NFA regulated items. If your previous Form 4's req'd less paperwork, it's due to the ATF 41-F rule changes affecting Trusts (effective July 2016), which resulted in the new requirement for a 'Responsible Persons Questionnaire' w/ Fingerprint Cards and Passport Photos, as well as the Local LEO notification requirement. Just FYI - There is NO sign off requirement from the Local LEO, as it is purely a notification. You are NOT req'd to obtain an LEO signature/approval on ANY form. If there are any issues, the LEO will contact ATF, NOT you!

The Form 1 to SBR your newly acquired 'preban' AR isn't much different than a Form 4, with the exception that you are now the 'maker' of the SBR, so you're filling out that form from scratch instead of transferring the info from the Form 3 as would be typical for a Form 4 submission. The only info/data that you need to generate on your own, is the Barrel Length (Box 4e) and OAL (Box 4f), which is described in Instruction 2.k of the form. This data will be dependent on your selected Barrel Length for your SBR. Everything else (Original Manufacturer, Type Caliber, S/N, etc does NOT change from the existing Firearm markings/data. The only other requirement is to engrave the receiver with the Trust Name and City, State.

I don't know of any specific 'service' other than contacting your local SOT for assistance here. That said, there are plenty of resources online/youtube to guide you through the process. The only thing that a little nebulous for a Form 1 eFile/eForm, is the submission of the 'hard copy' Fingerprint Cards, which are filed separately from the Form 1.

Hope this was helpful....Good Luck Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have done a few and I always go over the ar15.com and find the walk through thread and just take my time and do everything needed. Its easy, its just a pain in the ass.

I found this link awhile back, check it out.

Form 1 Guide

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, hoping to get it done with this info. Just dont want to get denied for a clerical error.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
They won't deny you for a clerical error on the paperwork. They will send it back to you to fix it.

This happened to me once. I want to say everything was approved a week after sending it back.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
They won't deny you for a clerical error on the paperwork. They will send it back to you to fix it.

This happened to me once. I want to say everything was approved a week after sending it back.

False.
I had some stupid error on mine.
They straight up rejected it and told me to go to the back of the line.

It seems to be hit or miss depending on who you get.
Maybe my guy had a bad day or something...

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
When I SBR’d my Scar I forgot to sign it. I usually try and forget about NFA items and it was exactly a year later when I started wondering what happened. I emailed some guy that folks say to email and he responded in 10 mins and with 11 mins I had my stamp. I kept email so I can dig up his name etc. if anyone needs it.

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way to do SBR Form 1s is via the eForms site. I do not believe that somebody else can do an eForm 1 "for" you. You could have somebody complete a paper form, but the transfer time will be much longer (probably 6+ months versus 30-45 days).

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
We do it. Give my office a call.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
You'll be in great hands with heavyd.

My first one was done with the help of the dealer.
Everything else after that I did myself. The instructions on AR15.com were great. I'm 5 out of 5.
I would have been 6 for 6 but the ATF made us return our guns to IMI. I already had my paperwork submitted. Broke my heart. Frown

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I would have been 6 for 6 but the ATF made us return our guns to IMI. I already had my paperwork submitted. Broke my heart. Frown

Care to expand on this...Inquiring minds want to know Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Care to expand on this...Inquiring minds want to know Wink

Looks like IMI took full auto guns and just dropped in semi auto parts. The 3rd pin was the issue regardless of what they did. It was tough to send it back but the idea of prison time didn't sit well. Smile

Here is a video from the Military Arms Channel from back in the day that explains what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e68cFD_hmo

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

False.
I had some stupid error on mine.
They straight up rejected it and told me to go to the back of the line.

It seems to be hit or miss depending on who you get.
Maybe my guy had a bad day or something...

as an SOT , I have had plenty sent back, w/o cancellation, due to Trust issues (buyer not giving me the correct info, etc) or other simple typo's,

some have come back as quick as a week after the reply sent in, one took another 2 months,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have a trust from heavyd, but was thinking of inddividual. Someone told me trust takes too long and individual is much faster.

I would prefer the trust so my nephew can use and easily take possession when I die.

First In Last Out

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
1) What rifle are you going to SBR?
2) Have you considered going the "Other" route?

CT has very confusing gun laws. Feel free to contact me directly.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I have a trust from heavyd, but was thinking of inddividual. Someone told me trust takes too long and individual is much faster.

I would prefer the trust so my nephew can use and easily take possession when I die.

No brainer, go Trust.

David W.

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

I have a few unregistered pre bans 2 suppressors and a bunch of pistols.

I dont really like the others because i want to accessorize as i see fit. Having said that I am shopping for a Kalashnikov komrad.

I have no kids and my nephew is my guy, so i started a trust so he can legally posses my guns. I am worried if the trust route on the sbr takes to long some federal legislation might preempt my joy. But the trust is my preference.

First In Last Out

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:

There is no time difference. Submit using your trust without worry.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Enail sent to you, just a heads up incase it goes to spam.

First In Last Out