SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally got my NFA approved for SIG 553 SBR! Need engraver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got my NFA approved for SIG 553 SBR! Need engraver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I believe if u send it away before you have NFA approval you don't need to transfer the receiver on a form 5. If it has been approved, you need to transfer it on a form 5 unless you stay there while the work is being done.

Form-5 is not necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
Doesn't matter if you stand and wait, if they're working with the frame/receiver, they need to have an FFL.

No they do not. Show me the regs that state this.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
can't engrave on the barrel as they can be removed.

The barrel most certainly can be engraved. It's expressly mentioned in the regs, as posted by mew. Many factory firearms have this info on the barrel, among these Austrian made Steyr AUGs.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Doesn't matter if you stand and wait, if they're working with the frame/receiver, they need to have an FFL.

No they do not. Show me the regs that state this.
No problem, I truly enjoy providing such citations, especially when requests are presented this way. Wink

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...r-repairing-firearms
Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

Now, there is an exception to the record keeping requirement, in that the licensee does not need to enter the firearm in the Acquisition & Disposition record, if the customer waits, but it they must still be licensed to do the gunsmith (and that includes engraving), if it's done as a business.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...pair-acquisition-and
Does a gunsmith need to enter every firearm received for adjustment or repair into an acquisition and disposition (A&D) record?

If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record.

Does that satisfy your request?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Orion several times with great results. The shipping back and forth can be expensive though.

Once, I used a local small mfr and shop of title II items (trying to support the "little guy)". He sent it off-site to his engraver. This happened to be a 553 SBR on a Form 1 coincidentally. Despite the tag attached to the gun, with WRITTEN instructions AND a SKETCH, he engraved it in the wrong place! All I got was "uh, sorry." Never, ever, again....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EBRfan:
Despite the tag attached to the gun, with WRITTEN instructions AND a SKETCH, he engraved it in the wrong place! All I got was "uh, sorry." Never, ever, again....

WOW!!! it amazes me how people stay in business doing this kind of stuff, probably not for long.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No problem, I truly enjoy providing such citations, especially when requests are presented this way. Wink

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...r-repairing-firearms
Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(11) and (21); 27 CFR 478.11]

Now, there is an exception to the record keeping requirement, in that the licensee does not need to enter the firearm in the Acquisition & Disposition record, if the customer waits, but it they must still be licensed to do the gunsmith (and that includes engraving), if it's done as a business.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/q...pair-acquisition-and
Does a gunsmith need to enter every firearm received for adjustment or repair into an acquisition and disposition (A&D) record?

If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired, or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the A&D record as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the A&D record.

Does that satisfy your request?

Hmmm, I stand corrected. Thank you for posting the link.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post