SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for .223 rifle options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for .223 rifle options Login/Join 
Picture of Swordknives
posted
Like the title says im looking for a new rifle in .223. I have several ARs and I’m just looking for something a bit different. Right now the newer Mini-14s has my eye but if there is something else you think I should be looking at I’m happy to look.

Requirements:
Shoots .223/5.56
Straight stock no thumb hole or pistol grips
Semi auto
Iron sights
Ability to add a scope a bonus
Less than $800 new or used

Thoughts?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swordknives:
Requirements:

Semi auto

I have no recommendations, but that narrows the selections quite a bit.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the semi auto also. The issue is, finding a semi auto under 800 that is not an AR is hard. Finding something that is supported even harder. I saw several sig 556's that were 800 this summer in portland. Simply 0 support. You might find a bren, but new IIRC is well over 800. So I opted to post ideas that most folks don't think to look at. Lever and bolt predator guns. While not fast slinging they tend to be more accurate than a 500 dollar ar 15.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
The issue is, finding a semi auto under 800 that is not an AR is hard.

I agree, but without mentioning that in your first response my immediate reaction was that you hadn’t read that requirement. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:

Straight stock no thumb hole or pistol grips
Make sure you actually mean STRAIGHT STOCK. That REALLY narrows your choices. I can't think of a semi-auto .223 with a straight stock. The henry above is an example of a straight stock.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Let's ignore the $800 price limit for now.

Just a semiauto .223 with a traditional stock is a short enough list:

-Ruger Mini-14
-Keltec SU-16
-Ares SCR (basically an AR with a modified bolt and lower receiver)
-Saiga (no longer imported)
-VEPR Pioneer (most VEPRs came with thumbhole stocks, but Pioneer model had traditional stock; no longer imported)
-Benelli MR1 (some had traditional stock; no longer imported)

There are also a handful of high-end foreign semiauto hunting rifles in .223, but most are no longer imported, and they are/were very pricey. These included the Sauer S303, Volquartsen Evolution, HK SL6/630, or Merkel SR1.

Now, if we add your price range back in, that eliminates all but an older unmodified Saiga, Mini-14, or SU-16.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
There are still a few VEPR Pioneers around, but they're not supported anymore, mags are expensive when you can find them (Russia = ban) and Californians have bumped the price up since they're one of the few options that were 'compliant'. The Ruger is probably a better option.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think the Ruger Mini-14 and Keltec SU-16 are about the only realistic easily available options.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
years ago there were a ton of cai imported ak's in 223. I wonder if there are any new ones out there.

Even so, at that point buy another AR.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
AKs in .223 are still available.

But the OP said no pistol grips. Traditional stocks only. So no AKs or ARs.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Besides, the magazines are an expensive PITA to find.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington 7400?

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Remington 7400?

The 74 series was never offered in .223. The smallest caliber available is .243.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Valmet Hunter or Saiga?

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Swordknives
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies everyone. Ill take a look at your suggestions.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 1401 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Man, I know its more of a PITA for you than anything, but meeting California specs has really become something of an intellectual challenge!

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
http://stgeorgearms.com/leader-t2/

The New American Leader T2

The Australian Leader Dynamics Model T2 MK 5 rifle will be made in the United States for the first time in its original form — celebrating the 40th anniversary of its design. The new rifle, designated Leader T2, will be manufactured by St George Arms, and its parts will be interchangeable with those of the original.

An initial run of 250 is planned, and deliveries are scheduled to begin in Spring 2019.

The MSRP is $1,250, and St George Arms is currently taking 50% deposits.

You can see our “Buy Now” page on GunBroker.com.

For more information, including dealer inquiries, please email info.stgeorgearms@gmail.com

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Keltec RDB survival model has no pistol grip or thumb hole.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
The New American Leader T2

The link you posted clearly states "No sales to California."

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post