SIGforum
The start of an early M16 clone

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2460013654

May 02, 2019, 10:48 PM
stylophiles
The start of an early M16 clone
Picked this up today, and while “as is” it’s just a start, needing a Brownells 601 lower, three prong flash hider, triangle charging handle, and repro (cause I’m not rich) Green handguards grip and stock. (OK, and proper pins, mag release, bolt catch, and ejection port cover... crap need to work more OT)

This is still the first rifle I’ve owned that seemed to come complete with an automatic soundtrack.

I’ve had White Rabbit, Paint it Black, and Tracks of My Tears playing on repeat while cleaning and tearing it apart...

Bill R
May 03, 2019, 06:28 PM
lyman
and take the Carbine sling off and get a Seatbelt nylon sling for it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

May 03, 2019, 06:46 PM
Colt SP1?

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
May 03, 2019, 07:38 PM
DSgrouse
That looks very good. How does it feel?
May 03, 2019, 08:06 PM
shovelhead
You are further along than I. Only have the early brown stocks and the upper from Brownells and an Anderson lower.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
May 04, 2019, 12:43 PM
gearhounds
Nice- good to see the furniture actually matches, especially the pre-trapdoor short LOP stock.

I built A1 from all original parts, save the Palmetto lower. As an A1, the birdcage is correct, as is the teardrop forward assist.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
May 04, 2019, 04:11 PM
P220 Smudge
Very nice. Love them without a forward assist. It'll look even better with the slick side lower.

quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Colt SP1?

The fenced lower says it isn't.

May 04, 2019, 06:36 PM
ARMT Guy
Did someone say SP1?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

May 04, 2019, 09:47 PM
sigNull
stylophiles - shouldn't the background soundtrack include Creedence Clearwater's Run Through the Jungle?

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"
May 05, 2019, 05:48 PM
stylophiles
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Very nice. Love them without a forward assist. It'll look even better with the slick side lower.

quote:
Colt SP1?

The upper is Brownells Retro 601, the lower is just a plain Jane Aero Precision. I’ve got a Brownells Retro 601 lower that I will be swapping on, I’m just now starting the search for as many of the correct small parts as I can find. I want to switch out for a chrome smooth side BCG for certain, the other stuff might take a while!

I think I will move this stock set to an early A1 build and try to fix up the color on a set of the Brownells green stocks. Set it up as a project AGILE rifle.

Bill R
May 05, 2019, 06:20 PM
drshame

My SP1/M-16 Clone is a great rifle that works nicely and is not picky about ammo or much else.
Enjoy it.
It's an RRA lower with all RRA stock trigger group.
The upper is a surplus m-16 Colt woth a 1/12 colt barrel that eats up 55grn fmj's.
U-S Anodizing matched it all up and did a GREAT job. Here's the "before":

The furniture is all USGI and I think it pretty well replicates an M-16A1 Viet Nam era rifle.

I found a matt chrome bolt group to go with it, and it runs like a top.
May 07, 2019, 12:06 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

quote:
Colt SP1?

The upper is Brownells Retro 601, the lower is just a plain Jane Aero Precision. I’ve got a Brownells Retro 601 lower that I will be swapping on, I’m just now starting the search for as many of the correct small parts as I can find. I want to switch out for a chrome smooth side BCG for certain, the other stuff might take a while!

I think I will move this stock set to an early A1 build and try to fix up the color on a set of the Brownells green stocks. Set it up as a project AGILE rifle.

Bill R

Yeah, that should turn out quite nice and it sounds like you’ve definitely got it all plotted out. I’d be interested in seeing the after pics once you get it done.

A while back, I was working on a deal with a friend for a Colt 604 clone with a GI upper that kinda fizzled out and fell through. That would have been a nice one to snag, and you’re not too far off from that config now. The feel of those older Colt configurations, A1 and prior, is definitely a different animal from what the modern AR has developed into.

May 12, 2019, 10:26 PM
stylophiles
So.... how was my day?

Reprofiling a bolt catch!

Way more work than I thought, that’s some tough steel!

Looking a bit better on the Brownells 601 lower...

Just need the chrome BCG, triangle charging handle, re-do the mag release to horizontal grooves, and sort out all the pins to the correct style with center holes. And find a first model three prong flash hider.

And figure out the stock and handguards. I keep hearing that the Brownells green ones are not a good color match, so might be some painting in my future.

Well, like I tell my wife, it’s cheaper than strippers and coke...

Bill R
May 19, 2019, 01:03 AM
stylophiles
Getting closer....
Got a little package with a chrome slick side BCG and flat forward pin from Brownells today!

Bill R
May 19, 2019, 09:20 AM
lyman
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
So.... how was my day?

Reprofiling a bolt catch!

Way more work than I thought, that’s some tough steel!

Looking a bit better on the Brownells 601 lower...

Just need the chrome BCG, triangle charging handle, re-do the mag release to horizontal grooves, and sort out all the pins to the correct style with center holes. And find a first model three prong flash hider.

And figure out the stock and handguards. I keep hearing that the Brownells green ones are not a good color match, so might be some painting in my future.

Well, like I tell my wife, it’s cheaper than strippers and coke...

Bill R

looks like the mag catch is in too deep,

need to back it out till the button is flush with the screw

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

May 19, 2019, 11:33 AM
stylophiles
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

looks like the mag catch is in too deep,

need to back it out till the button is flush with the screw

Yeah, I went a turn too far, thanks to having to wrestle with it because I forgot to install the mag button before the bolt catch.... I’ve got to pull it out anyway to replace with one with the correct horizontal pattern.

Bill R
May 20, 2019, 01:10 PM
shovelhead
Advice needed. Does anybody see any problem with removing the "fence" on the right side of an Anderson lower? I've got a friend with a mill that can do the deed and a 45 dollar lower sitting here.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
May 20, 2019, 10:08 PM
357fuzz
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Advice needed. Does anybody see any problem with removing the "fence" on the right side of an Anderson lower? I've got a friend with a mill that can do the deed and a 45 dollar lower sitting here.

I don’t see any problem with it. If you go to the retro forum on AR15.com you can see some of that work done by folks.
May 21, 2019, 07:31 AM
shovelhead
357fuzz, thank you for your response and that forum tip.

I just started collecting bits and pieces, I went with the brown furniture kit. So far only have the stripped lower and upper and furniture. I have a friend that is advising me also, ex-SF Vietnam era.