SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for new build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for new build Login/Join 
posted
So far I have a regular carbine AR15.m, a 16” mid length with free float hand guard lightweight barrel. An AR9 16” barrel and an AR9 pistol. I been kicking around another lightweight AR15 and mount a vortex strike eagle on it. All the others have red dots on them. I was thinking of an 18” with a rifle length gas system but I don’t know if it’s better to just stay with 16”. I have a lower sitting in the safe and I’m looking for suggestions on a way to go with it. Thanks

Posts: 366 | Location: north east, ohio | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also thought about getting a BCN upper assembly but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra money the others I built have been 100% reliable so far. And I really enjoy building them.

Posts: 366 | Location: north east, ohio | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’m toying with the idea of a MK 12 Mod 0 build.

I don’t have a single 18” AR and I can’t think of a better way to solve that problem.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I consider a new rifle, I ask myself the following questions:
- What will it do that my current rifles don't do?
- What will I gain? Will I be faster on target or more accurate? Will it extend my distance capabilities?
- Will it be cheaper to shoot than current rifles?
- Will it allow me to use better or more appropriate ammo?
- Will I become a better shooter with the new rifle?
- Will my scores increase in competition?
- Will it improve my SD/HD capabilities?
- Will my investment in a new rifle/optics/accessories negatively affect my finances for future needs? Both firearms and non-firearms related finances.

Bottom line -- you have the basic AR handled. There's no need for more of the same. If you truly feel you want another AR, look at a longer barrel rifle, with a quality optic.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
The two that I've been thinking about building are an M16 A1 clone, and some flavor of SDM rifle (similar to ESDunbar's Mk 12 Mod 0, but probably 20" instead of 18").

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
When I consider a new rifle, I ask myself the following questions:
- What will it do that my current rifles don't do?
- What will I gain? Will I be faster on target or more accurate? Will it extend my distance capabilities?
- Will it be cheaper to shoot than current rifles?
- Will it allow me to use better or more appropriate ammo?
- Will I become a better shooter with the new rifle?
- Will my scores increase in competition?
- Will it improve my SD/HD capabilities?
- Will my investment in a new rifle/optics/accessories negatively affect my finances for future needs? Both firearms and non-firearms related finances.

Bottom line -- you have the basic AR handled. There's no need for more of the same. If you truly feel you want another AR, look at a longer barrel rifle, with a quality optic.

I wa leaned no twards another rifle because I have the Stike eagle on the 16” rifle now and that optic in my opinion has made it rather heavy. So I thought maybe making another and putting a red dot on it for lighter weight and leaving the rifle with the stike eagle on it for longer shooting. I thought maybe a 18” rifle would be good for that but what I have read , it’s not much different than a 16”. Then I thought maybe a 300 blackout but that’s so pricey to shoot, and I would have to start buying a new caliber. I think my wife may be wondering if I may have issues. I just thought if I heard some suggestions I might like one. When I ask her she says they all look the same to her.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a .450 Bushmaster upper for a build. I don't need another .223, so I'm building out one for deer and hog hunting.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I ended up doing an 18" spr build for a Leupold MKIV that I picked up while they were being closed out.

Criterion Barrel with a JP full mass BCG, rifle length gas system, Larue MBT.

It shoots incredibly soft, is easy on brass, and is easily a 3/4" at 100 for 5 shots if I'm doing my part with good ammunition.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canrunin:
I thought maybe a 18” rifle would be good for that but what I have read , it’s not much different than a 16”.

You gain three things with a longer barrel:
(1) muzzle velocity
(2) kinetic energy, due to increased muzzle velocity
(3) distance between front and back iron sights, assuming comparable sight placement on the rifle -- and assuming no optic will be used

Additional muzzle velocity increases bullet energy, decreases bullet drop, and decreases bullet wind drift. My 16" and 18" barrels are the same brand, therefore the comparison in MV is quite valid.

16" barrel MV with factory loads:
2,556 fps -- Federal GMM 69
2,431 fps -- Federal GMM 77
2,832 fps -- Hornady Vmax 55
2,892 fps -- American Eagle 55 FMJ

18" barrel MV with factory loads:
2,636 fps -- Federal GMM 69
2,506 fps -- Federal GMM 77
2,931 fps -- Hornady Vmax 55
3,014 fps -- American Eagle 55 FMJ

My 20" barrel is an outstanding barrel -- fast and accurate. And expected for an expensive match-grade barrel.
20" barrel MV with factory load:
2,805 fps -- Federal GMM 69
2,685 fps -- Federal GMM 77
3,078 fps -- Hornady Vmax 55

You can plug the numbers into the ballistics program of your choice to determine energy, drop, and drift comparisons. Longer barrels change ballistics, regardless of what the keyboard commandos purport.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If I could put a bug in your ear for a custom build, it would be this:

Side charger.

We all love the AR, but you know what, the charging handle is shit.

If'n you're going to go custom, why not eliminate that design flaw?

Here is just one company that makes side chargers.

I have one, that I'm using for an SBR build.

If you're going to scope it, then side charge is even more desirable.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post