SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shockwave Blade won me over
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockwave Blade won me over Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I run a blade on my AR pistol and I'm pretty happy with it. There is a company making a rubber pad for the rear of the blade but I can't recall the name and I don't know if it's been approved by ATF.

10X...it hasn't...it's only legal on Shockwave Blades used on rifles or SBRs...for those it would be dandy though...

https://www.ic13arms.com/shop/sbp-blade-protector

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
I run a blade on my AR pistol and I'm pretty happy with it. There is a company making a rubber pad for the rear of the blade but I can't recall the name and I don't know if it's been approved by ATF.

Bisley beat me to it...

Since you can still legally shoulder the brace sans plate, I'd leave well enough alone. The most I'd do is maybe put some adhesive rubberized step strip on it to keep it from sliding when leaned on a smooth hard surface.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Those do-dads IC3 are selling are $40.
There's a dude on GunBroker selling a 3D printed copy for $10.

I was tempted with SB Tactical's SBM4.
I think it's the best looking rubber brace.
But I prefer the rigid mounting of the Blade.
I wound up with a good bit of play in it even with the Odin Works clamp.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to try this tail hook gizmo.

https://www.gearheadworks.com/...dba3b90b0f46a4901ee6

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Added...since locktite is verboten by the ATF on the screw that holds the blade in place...I found that three or four wraps of Teflon tape around the screw tightens it up pretty good...also works well on the tightening screw on lowers such as AERO and Ballistic Advantage to take up play between the upper and lower."

Ignorant on this subject! Can someone provide some clarification on this?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
"Added...since locktite is verboten by the ATF on the screw that holds the blade in place...I found that three or four wraps of Teflon tape around the screw tightens it up pretty good...also works well on the tightening screw on lowers such as AERO and Ballistic Advantage to take up play between the upper and lower."

Ignorant on this subject! Can someone provide some clarification on this?

I guess I should have stipulated permanent red Locktite...instead of any Locktite I just used Teflon tape wrapped around the screw to add resistance to the screw to prevent the screw from loosening and backing out...low strength Loctite should be OK...just not permanent...

On AERO and Balistic Advantage lowers (and some others from what I understand) there is an adjustment Allen head screw under the pistol grip that allows you to take up any play between the upper and lower if that play bothers you...I use Teflon tape rather than low strength Locktite...I've never had a screw back out doing this...

From the Shockwave website...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

"ATF Says That Shouldering Shockwave Blade is Okay!
I just got off the phone with a very nice gentleman at ATF Tech Branch—who was fielding these calls today. (He was, understandably, very well versed on the subject—and very nice about it even though he’s been on the phone all day, repeating himself ad nauseam.) I identified myself and asked him specifically if the letter that’s making the rounds is limited to one company’s products–or if it applies to all pistol stabilizing braces. He said: “The letter covers all pistol stabilizing braces, including the Shockwave Blade.” So that settles that.

He then gave me a bit of further guidance for our customers:

By “permanent affixing,” ATF considers that to be adding permanent Loctite to the large set screw that secures the Blade into the dimples in the KAK tube. As long as you don’t red Loctite the set screw in place, ATF considers it to be “temporarily placed” and “perfectly okay to shoulder.” (He didn’t beat around the bush on this topic.)
“Length of pull”—for lack of a better word regarding pistol braces—begins to enter a “gray area” above 13.5″. Above 13.5″ begins “to enter shoulder stock area.” (His words. I believe this has to do with the “comfortableness” aspect.) On an AR-15, the “length of pull” for the Blade is approximately 13.13″, so no issues there. But if you use the Blade on a firearm that requires a large adapter of some sort, please make sure that you only use the dimples up to the point that you remain below the 13.5″ length. Stay below 13.5″ and according to ATF, it’s okay to shoulder a Shockwave Blade.
So there you have it. Anything you read to the contrary on a web forum, social media site, or industry blog is simple misinformation by people who are not being completely honest."

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigforall:
I want to try this tail hook gizmo.

https://www.gearheadworks.com/...dba3b90b0f46a4901ee6

I've got one for my BCM 9" 300 black build, it's very well made, solid aluminum and looks like it belongs on the end of the buffer tube.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Blade on an AR 9mm pistol, I like it alot.

I had a Sig brace, sold it as soon as I got the Blade.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
quote:

10X...it hasn't...it's only legal on Shockwave Blades used on rifles or SBRs...for those it would be dandy though...

https://www.ic13arms.com/shop/sbp-blade-protector

Thanks for that Bisley, I had not followed the results on that since they first announced. I don't own one, just knew they were working on one as a way to keep the rifle from slipping when stood on end, uh huh.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post