SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shockwave Blade won me over
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockwave Blade won me over Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Perhaps this should be a pistol thread but since most go this route versus an SBR I postedhere.
I've been really pleased with the three other Shockwave Blades from KAK that I have on my other AR pistols that I pulled the SIG Brace off the last pistol wearing one !

Anyone else prefer the Blade?

Also I'm interested in your setups so Photos welcome.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one to install on a Sig PM400.

It looks like you changed the buffer tube?

Is the diameter of the Sig smaller then a normal pistol buffer tube?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I like the Blade way better than the SIG brace...lighter, better adjustment and it just looks better...

10.5" PSA upper with KAK Flash Can/AERO lower build from a few months ago...

This thing is handy Smile

Added...since locktite is verboten by the ATF on the screw that holds the blade in place...I found that three or four wraps of Teflon tape around the screw tightens it up pretty good...also works well on the tightening screw on lowers such as AERO and Ballistic Advantage to take up play between the upper and lower.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Never liked the idea of the Sig brace but I’m happy with the KAK in FDE as one more method to identify the .300 BO from 5.56 versions.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I have a few braces. SB SOB, Thordsen rest, Shockwave blade, and the SB MPX PDW brace.
Of course the mpx is not really an AR.

The Thordsen sucks for folding stocks. Its more comfortable than some but i really learned to hate it. The SOB is pretty much a thinner, skeletonized version of the SB15. Uglier but more comfortable than the shockwave. But the blade, to me, just looks the best.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I bought one to install on a Sig PM400.

It looks like you changed the buffer tube?

Is the diameter of the Sig smaller then a normal pistol buffer tube?

I ordered & use on all my blades, the KAK Shockwave buffer tube.

The SIG Brace was designed to work in a standard Pistol buffer tube .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this thread. I'm currently planning my first pistol build and I've been in the throws of deciding on what brace to get. I've been leaning toward the Shockwave Blade.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
I use the Shokwave Blade with the Law Tactical folder, on my 7.5.
Couldn't be happier with it Wink
Good choice !!

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The blade replaced another style(SIG) and I really like the compact form and the adjustment function. I used the KAK tube with it, best setup yet. The Honey Badger unit looks nice but outa my price range for the new build.

Well, heck, just noticed I'm a 10 year grad of SigForum as of October. Best place on the interwebs! Smile

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I never liked the Sig brace. Far too big and bulky for my taste.

I almost went with the Thorsden piece after checking one out, but decided on the blade after trying it on a friend's pistol. Like it a lot- lightweight and compact. I've thought about cutting it down some but have held off on that so far. I used the KAK buffer tube as well.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have both- the Sig brace is a more comfortable shoulder weld, but not so much that it beats out the Shockwave in terms of bulk and rigidity and resistance to migrating during extended range sessions.

Odin makes a nice part that helps keep the Sig brace more or less in one place, but you still cannot beat the Shockwave's set screw and corresponding dimpled buffer tube. I imaging you could actually give a pretty solid butt stroke (er, I mean brace stroke) with the Shockwave

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15570 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I have a Shockwave on a 10.5" pistol. I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I like the Shockwave on my 8.5" 300 Blackout, much lighter than the previous Sig brace that was on it.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I ordered & use on all my blades, the KAK Shockwave buffer tube.

Thanks for the info and photo.

I'll have to add one to the next order.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shockwave, KAK tube, and Hera SFU are great on a Scorpion pistol.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as info...KAK has Shockwave Blades blems being offered at a discount for $31.95...info here...

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=3349

As far as the Shockwave Blade fitting a standard pistol buffer tube...it will, but it's a pretty loose fit. The set screw might secure it enough but the KAK tube would be the best to use.

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
If you have everything else & just need the tube, Brownells has them on sale.

Free shipping code MEG was working as of Wed last week.

https://www.brownells.com/hand...6.aspx?sku=100022566

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
So, I bought a MagPul wrench.

In one of the KAK reviews, it states the MagPul wrench won't work with their buffer tube.

If this is true, what's the best tool for the job?

posted Hide Post
On a pistol buffer the diameter of the tube body, not the threaded area where the castle nut and end plate terminate, is larger than a rifle buffer tube...the pistol buffer "steps down" to the threaded area. You will need a castle nut wrench that will allow the "toothed" part of wrench to attach without sliding down the length of the tube...like the one in Grumpy Biker's photo...

The Magpul wrench slides into the notches of the castle nut notches after sliding down the tube from the end and after the nut is tightened it is slid back off...not an issue when the buffer tube is the same diameter all the way to the castle nut...but due to the pistol buffer being larger won't work...

Jimmy Buffet

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I run a blade on my AR pistol and I'm pretty happy with it. There is a company making a rubber pad for the rear of the blade but I can't recall the name and I don't know if it's been approved by ATF.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post