SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR 308 Modification Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR 308 Modification Question Login/Join 
posted
Being new to the semi-auto world I wanted to pose a question to the more experienced folks. First the background info. I recently purchased my first AR 308 to upgrade my trusty 38 year old Remington 30-06 pump. Being a retired Navy officer I was looking for a new interest/hobby and the more I read about the rifle the more I liked the idea of being able to interchange and customize the rifle. Additionally, Pennsylvania announced late last year that they would be making these legal to hunt big game with in the following year. I hunt in a very remote mountain area and hike very far back into the forest away from other hunters and don't have any plans to 'fill the air with lead'. The dense cover makes follow-up shots rare anyway and you have to track and wait for an opening so the rate of fire wouldn't be noticeably different. All this aside, Pennsylvania has now decided to amend the law and only allow the semi-auto guns for small game and coyotes. Yes, I could pull my old gun out but I really love the improved accuracy and optics of the new gun. I've read a lot of articles about modifying the AR 308 rifles to make them in legal to use. It appears there are a several options but these appear to be the best candidates.

1) use a single shot 'zero'magazine sled. Drop in any following shots by hand and close the bolt carrier with the latch release. This would be the cheapest method but might not legally satisfy the law by removing the capability for semi-auto fire.

2) Replace the barrel with a new one without a gas port. This would definitely satisfy the intent of the law and the rifle would be a bolt action operated with the charging handle.

3) Remove / plug the gas key on the bolt. I would actually purchase a separate BCG or just the bolt carrier (sans bolt) and remove the gas key altogether or plug the tube with JB weld.

Number one is probably out unless the PA game commission or a state trooper were to give me a thumbs up in writing prior.

The cost of number two is not much more than number three but I really would prefer not to fool with changing the barrel for when I hunt in other states or at the range.

Number three seems the easiest and a bolt carrier is only around 100 dollars (a full BCG not much more). However, I haven't been able to find anything about how the rifle would specifically function. With the gas key plugged I would figure it has the same function as crimping the gas tube in that the bolt would not go back and that the gas would stay in the tube and then exit the barrel as the only path to the atmosphere. I don't think there would be enough of a surface to act upon to push the bolt back. If this is true, it would keep the hot/dirty gas from entering the bolt area. (not that this would happen very often anyway). The other option of removing the gas key would give a greater volume for the gas to expand and most probably never cycle the bolt back. But is this safe for the shooter? Actually is either of these methods safer?

I don't want to go with an adjustable gas block turned around or blocked off with a set screw and certainly don't want to crimp the tube inside the upper. For me personally, replacing the bolts back and forth is the easiest method and something I can do back at home.

This is really just a question as to the safety and operability (ie. will it work) of the rifle with the various methods. I've read all the hemming and hawing about how it needs to be permanent or no it doesn't. I'll deal with the legal aspect separately and in advance by getting permission in writing. And YES, I might still take the old rifle anyway, I just want to gather the data to make an informed decision.

Thank you in advance. I really do appreciate the advice.

Posts: 22 | Registered: January 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I would remove the gas key on the bolt carrier.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just realized that you can't remove the gas key since the key goes through the charging handle and is needed to pull the bolt back. I'm pretty sure the gas key fits INSIDE the gas tube in the upper so then I could plug the gas key on a spare bolt carrier with JB weld and that would prevent any gas from getting to the bolt.

Posts: 22 | Registered: January 16, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Why not remove the gas tube, and if you get blow back that bothers you, then plug the gas block?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tiburon91:
I just realized that you can't remove the gas key since the key goes through the charging handle and is needed to pull the bolt back. I'm pretty sure the gas key fits INSIDE the gas tube in the upper so then I could plug the gas key on a spare bolt carrier with JB weld and that would prevent any gas from getting to the bolt.

The gas tube fits inside the gas key. You need to plug the tube, not the key.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
I go with 1 and put a CA bullet button on, would that work ?? The most effective and you know will work method is an AGB, scroll through their site and see if they have 1 that will fit your barrel diameter: http://micromoa.com/

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have real doubts that JB weld would survive in a gas tube.
I have created a single shot before and i choose to modify the gas block as the lowest risk method.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine carrying an AR10 on a hunt with much walking involved. They are HEAVY.

Add in the fact that your state's idiotic law means you have to pay extra to convert it to not-semiauto? No way.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Why not remove the gas tube, and if you get blow back that bothers you, then plug the gas block?

posted Hide Post
Remove gas tube, install gas block backwards.
You are making a single shot without tube and eliminating blowback with gas block (It blocks gas hole).
That way you can reverse if you ever need to.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Remove the roll pin that holds the gas tube to the gas block. Rotate the gas tube 180 degrees. Reinstall the roll pin. Very easy to switch it back and no gas in your face or in the action.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
Remove the roll pin that holds the gas tube to the gas block. Rotate the gas tube 180 degrees. Reinstall the roll pin. Very easy to switch it back and no gas in your face or in the action.

Henryrifle

Not if the gas tube has an off set in it like the AR15

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
It works fine. The tube has a bow in it but it works fine.

I have done it a few times when playing with suppressors and seeing just how quiet you can make a AR-15/10.

Give it a try. you'll be surprised.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I would remove the gas key on the bolt carrier.

I think that would be the last thing I did as it results in the gas just blowing unrestrained into the upper receiver. Probably get a face full of gas from around the charging handle.

This all seems like a long way to go to modify an AR just to hunt with it, with some of the suggestions being more difficult to reverse than others. Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a bolt gun for hunting and leave the AR alone?

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
This all seems like a long way to go to modify an AR just to hunt with it, with some of the suggestions being more difficult to reverse than others. Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a bolt gun for hunting and leave the AR alone?

No one asked for a logical answer here ... go on about your business Razz

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
How about a adjustable gas block that you can simply turn off? that and the 0 mag should be satisfactory.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post