SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quality AR Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality AR Pistols Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted
I am In the market for a quality AR pistol. 2 I’m considering are the DD MK18 and the BCM Recce. What are your thoughts on these offerings and what other worthy offerings am I leaving out?

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Those two would be two of the more spendy units.
I would not be afraid of a just about any of the established makers and their offerings myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a BCM with the SBT PDW brace and 11.5 light fluted barrel set-up. I like it a lot, very light, handy and accurate. I have a few BCM rigs and use a lot of their parts in my builds.

I also have an Aero "Pistol" lower with another SBT PDW brace, a BCM upper, Geissele mk4 rail and 10.5 inch Faxon Gov't. Profile barrel. It is less than half the price of the BCM and I like as much if not more than the BCM. For a "Franken gun" I would rate it very highly.

If you don't build and have the cash, I like the BCM.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Of those two options, I'd take the BCM. Mostly for the 11.5" barrel.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

I like that idea. If I ever get off my butt and order an upper for the spare the lower I have, that would be my choice.

I also like the V7 Pistol over the MK18 now, especially with the LAW folder. That is a handy little pistol.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
quote:

I like that idea. If I ever get off my butt and order an upper for the spare the lower I have, that would be my choice.

I also like the V7 Pistol over the MK18 now, especially with the LAW folder. That is a handy little pistol.

Ive had both the MK18 and the V7 pistol. For 5.56, the V7 with 11.5 is about as good as it gets. Would ultimately depend on your end-use but the MK18 is definitely a fat girl. I personally didnt mind for what I use it for(rides in a backpack in my truck) but my go to home defense rifle is the V7, mine is SBR but pistol form would serve the same function.

I have the LAW folder on the MK18 and I converted mine to 300blk as it doesnt suffer as much as the 5.56 with the 10.3 barrel.

V7S with Dead Air Sandman K and RMR:

300blk MK18 with LAW folder. This one has since been switched over the the Tailhook collapsible brace:

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
MK18 is a pig in general - heavy barrel, quad rail - made for bros running PEQs / NODs / kicking in doors on a regular basis.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree with the others about the MK18: she's something of a little pig.

I finished a pistol build a little while back and went with an 11.5" barrel, DD 10.0 Mlok rail and a LAW TAC side folder. Much more handy and sleeker than the old M1913 quad rails.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Be careful with a LAW folder on an AR pistol. ATF ruled OAL is measured in the shortest configuration.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have an 11.5" BCM SBR and its been a great rifle, mine lived as a pistol for a bit and it was fine there too.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Be careful with a LAW folder on an AR pistol. ATF ruled OAL is measured in the shortest configuration.

Shortest that it is operable. If it can fire once, it's operable. Does not have to eject or function correctly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The V7 is an awesome pistol and you're right, using the Law Tactical Folder makes carrying this gun much easier via a small firearm case (Galati 26" Double Discreet Square Carry case). I have already put several thousand rounds through mine. Haven't had one issue.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a BCM pistol upper years ago and was impressed with the overall fit and feel. Every so often they have some good sales. The first order I placed, they sent a bunch of stickers, hats, posters and a few other little items. I didn't really care about it or expect it that but it was a nice gesture and my son loved it. I also went with the 11.5" barrel.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I would rather build one with quality parts. Since I started building my rifles the way I want, it’s hard to find one off the shelf that I really want to spend money on.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be careful with a LAW folder on an AR pistol. ATF ruled OAL is measured in the shortest configuration

I'm confused by that being a concern? If anything the new ATF ruling makes the LAW situation better as it means the OAL will not increase when you use it. I know where there are States where it can matter (I don't live in one, so I don't know the specifics and how they work with folders), but I don't think there is a Fed issue.
Not that it matters but there are factory LAW folder MK18 and V7P. I have both the MK18 and V7 DD and prefer the V7 for the improved rail if one has a choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:

This is true if you have a foregrip on your pistol. Sans a foregrip, the firearm is not considered an AOW.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AFAIK the only possible issue in this area is a true vertical foregrip. And I don't see how that would have even entered the discussion above.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of KISS.

This is my PSA 10.5 upper with a shockwave blade. It does everything I need it to do and is very handy.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
I am a big fan of KISS.

This is my PSA 10.5 upper with a shockwave blade. It does everything I need it to do and is very handy.

I got one of those uppers and it’s been great. I shot .223 in it and it ran 100% but I keep a CMMG 22lr kit in it now. It’s so light and fun to shoot as a rimfire. And it’s a real AR so kids at the range like to shoot it instead of a 10/22.

I still need to get another one for .223

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I like the PSA 10,5 upper I ended up with a2 and likely a 3rd. Just too cheap not to have staged all over the house and vehicles.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post