SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optics on a .22LR lever gun???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics on a .22LR lever gun??? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
the interaction of a modern Henrys .22 lever gun, and geezer eyes, make an easy argument for increase garden varmint & various informal target practice.

The old Simmons 4x30 is about right physical size. The glass is borderline wretched. Leopold has a number of 'Scout' models in the compact length around 9.5" in the 4x28mm category.

Overall so many choices its hard to pick 'best' features.

Who can help make 'best choice'. Nikon has a few right size, unfamiliar with 'clarity & brightness' being reasons to spend a few more $$.

Comments please.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushnell with an Uncle Mike's side hammer spur. It's an older setup. Today I'd probably go with a Nikon scope.

Edited to add my scope is 1x4.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Weaver V-series 1X3 .

The "1" is about as optically correct as you'll ever find in an inexpensive riflescope.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I have the PA 6X32 on my Henry lever at the moment.

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...ed-acss-22lr-reticle

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've got Redfield 2-7x33 scopes on 2 .22 lever guns. They are hard to beat for the price. Made by Leopold and come with a lifetime guaranty.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 3-9x EFR is high quality rimfire scope that won't weigh down a light rifle.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
appreciate the models mentioned folks, my research google-fu is running in high gear.

I've found several great possibilities; trying to find 'one that has all I want' under 10" long.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I put a scope from an old single shot Mossberg .22 trainer. I’ll try to post a pic shortly. It doesn’t look as odd as many modern optics do.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Leupold 3-9x EFR is high quality rimfire scope that won't weigh down a light rifle.

Not for sale anymore.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
appreciate the models mentioned folks, my research google-fu is running in high gear.

I've found several great possibilities; trying to find 'one that has all I want' under 10" long.

Let me know when you decide. Making same decision on my Henry rifle.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Old school 4x tube scope. I think it fits the rifle well.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a Vortex 2X7 on my new 10-22. Works great so far!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old school 4x tube scope. I think it fits the rifle well.

that's something I had never considered. The only time I used an old style long thin tube design, I was unable to see very well. I have geezer vision & generally need full field bright designs. Thanks for the idea though.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
Things to consider in a new scope:
- Some level of adjustable magnification. With aging eyes, something of 2-7x or 3-9x will be nice.
- Preferably an adjustable parallax feature, but tolerable is a parallax fixed at the short distances of rimfire shooting. A fixed parallax of 50 yards might be reasonable. Many scopes for centerfire rifles have a fixed parallax of 100 or 150 yards, and that's likely a whole lot further than you will be shooting.

Nikon's scopes have good glass, even the value-line models.
Vortex is a good option.
Leupold's rimfire scopes are a good option.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
SigSentry: thanks for the photo, that may be my Final Choice, pending receipt from factory of a few questions I've sent them.

Are you satisfied with your product? Any comments appreciated.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^I think it's a good scope for the money. The ACSS reticle is very popular. The only thing I would say is that the cheek weld and eye relief is not as natural as that of the iron sights. It's more of a chin weld and pull up closer up to the eye box. That's probably due to the henry specific mount. Other than that, I think it would probably check most of the boxes. Good hunting.

Posts: 3510 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
SigSentry: having 2nd thoughts on 6x fixed. Is that hard to adapt to as single magnification level?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
having 2nd thoughts on 6x fixed

The last time someone said "I really wish I would have had a fixed magnification scope instead of my zoom scope for that shot" was...um...er...never.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
After much effort deciding I ordered a Leupold 2-7x33 today. Thanks for the discussions.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with that option across several different .22lr guns. you will be too...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post