SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Browning CXS vs Browning 725 Sporting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning CXS vs Browning 725 Sporting Login/Join 
posted
I am looking at getting a new O/U shotgun. I have just about narrowed it down to the Browning 725 Sporting or the Browning CXS. The main use for the gun will be Sporting Clays. They both have 32 inch barrels, and the barrels on the 725 are ported. To me the porting is no big deal, I can take it or leave it.

Price aside, what are the differences between the 2 guns?

Thanks

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really the best place to be asking this question. I actually do a fair amount of trap shooting and own the Browning CXT (trap version of the gun you're considering), and I couldn't really answer the question.

I can tell you that the Citori is an excellent shotgun. I've put thousands of rounds through mine without issue. I would suggest that whichever way you go you get a gun with an adjustable comb. Having a rifle that fits you definitely help get better scores.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I faced this choice 3-4 years ago. I went with the 725, but really would have been fine either way. The 725 has a different (some say better) trigger and the receiver is a bit more “low profile”. I’m had one of each in front of me and was just drawn to the 725 - especially with my wife saying “but the pretty one” at the store!

Some will say the swing/balance is different, but with 32 inch barrels they will be very similar in feel.

-shooter

Posts: 342 | Location: VA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a comparison you may find useful. One thing to note is that the 625 is a 525 that was marked with the 625 label for the US market. What I've heard is that the difference between the 625 and 525 is that the 625 got butt pads that were padded instead of hard plastic one the 525. You also may find it interesting that someone who sells and repairs shotguns for a living prefers the 525 over the 725.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...yEg5vozTvLcR&index=9

In my view the most significant changes between the two is the difference in the Fit and the triggers. I have two Beretta 686's (20 & 12) and a 1992 vintage Browning Citori Sporting Clays model in 12 gage. There is a notably different in the height dimensions between the two and I don't notice any difference at all in how the 2 shoot. However the Citori with it's fixed stock was a better fit for me and pushed me into equipping both Beretta's with adjustable comb stocks.

As for the mechanical trigger on the 725, IMO that is a real positive. Word at he range is the 725 trigger is lighter, has less take-up, and has a better feel than the older design in combination with that mechanical reset. As for the mechanical reset, I have equipped my 12 gage 686 with sub caliber tubes in 28 and 410 gauges and had to change the inertial reset mechanism to using 410 springs. As a result the 686 has an inertial trigger that behaves like a mechanical trigger and will reset the trigger with a snap cap. From my viewpoint the 725 is ready for tubes out of the box instead of requiring some work on the action to get it to reset with lighter recoil calibers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post