SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR charging handles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR charging handles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have switched to BCM's. I use the mediums on my patrol style rifles and large on my bench/varmint guns.

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Be careful of the latch size on the new BCM charging handles.I read thread a while back that the size of the latch of the new models is different from the old models. Don't remember the specifics.

Really?

If that's true, I'd be interested in some more details.
It's been a couple years since I've bought any BCM charging handles.

The new BCM Mod 4b has a smaller latch than the reg Mod 4.
I have one on a ar9 pistol only because it looks better on the smaller ar's.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Geisselle charging handles came.

Wow! I didn't expect them to be this nice.

Bigger, smoother, ambidextrous. They look very strong and durable, too.

I don't know if I will get rid of any of the BCM handles but I won't be buying anything other than Geisselle, going forward.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Geissele SCH / ACH is very well executed - I love how the whole handle / latch moves, unlike others with just the latch portion.

I liked the BCMs but they started pinched my fingers from time to time. I know they have changed their design as well but I am already "all in" with SCH on scoped ARs and ACH on RDS ARs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I am still a fan of the BCM medium handle

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
All of my ARs have BCM Mediums.

Same here.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Just picked up one of the less expensive Radian Raptors. Seems just as sturdy as the other one. I’ll check in if it breaks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
less expensive Radian Raptors.

At the time this thread started, Geissele was still running their Black Friday sale, with ACH and SCH models at $49.00.

It was a buy-cheap-stack-deep opportunity for quality charging handles.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the price, it is hard to beat the BCM. I have a couple,(large size) and really like them.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

At the time this thread started, Geissele was still running their Black Friday sale, with ACH and SCH models at $49.00.

It was a buy-cheap-stack-deep opportunity for quality charging handles.

And a year later......., this deal is back. Just ordered one. $49 shipped.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BCM just posted a Cyber Monday 30% off deal so their Medium Charging Handles are now on sale for $27.95 each...

NOTE - Discount does not appear until you put item(s) in your cart....Mark

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...m-gfh-mod-4b-556.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I stick with the Milspec CH.

How much use does it get among all these operators?

Too used to it to change. Might be an Arizona thing. Big Grin

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I stick with the Milspec CH.
How much use does it get among all these operators?

I'm not an "operator", just a weekend shooter who competes.

In matches where we consistently engage small-ish steel targets at 200-400 yards, most of us use magnified optics on our ARs. Many have a fairly large ocular lens that sits right above the charging handle, especially if we don't shoot nose-to-charging-handle. Such scope eyepieces can make it challenging to grab a milspec CH, especially with two fingers. Larger CHs -- especially ambidextrous models -- are easier to use with these scopes.

Most competitions have time constraints on stages or groups of stages. Such time limits really come into play in team events, multi-gun events, and complex stages. When the person is finished shooting the AR, range safety officers almost always require the shooter to drop the mag, clear the chamber, lock the bolt back, and show the RSO that the AR is safe prior to moving on. Thus, we use the CH constantly, and newer CH models are superior to the milspec design for this use.

If the milspec CH works for you, that's great.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The older and now discontinued BCM Model 5 charging handle is standard on my ARs. I do I have a couple of scoped ARs which wear AXTS/Radian Raptor charging handles.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I'm not an operator just another weekend plinker that found a mil-spec handle is pretty much useless when I plopped a scope on it. PITA wearing gloves as well.

I have Radian Raptors on mine that work much better for me.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Strike Industries ARCH-EL extended latch replacing a stock GI style charging handle on my only AR.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my take --

iron sight rear : not needed

scoped : BCM medium is a nice upgrade

---------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Raptors on all of mine except 1 that has a POF Tomahawk. It works really well but is a bit big when the rifle is slung.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
I just buy standard CH and then swap out the latch for a PRI weenie latch. Extended enough I never have issues grabbing it, easy on the hands without gloves, and the only one I've found that is big enough but without poking the crap out of my chest. Of course, I'm not usually wearing a chest rig or plate carrier.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I used to swap out the latch on the milspec handle for the Badger extended latch. It does put a lot of stress on that roll pin but I never did have one break.
This thread reappearing "forced" me to buy more Geissele for me and some BCM for presents. Those are some great deals!

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post