SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR charging handles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR charging handles Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If you are using the irons or a red dot then the regular ol CH is just fine.

Once you plop a magnified optic on top, a CH with some more area to grab onto is kinda handy.

The Radian Raptor does this nicely for me.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Do the old CHs work? Sure.

But so does the old carry handle integral sight, and the 90 safety lever, and the milspec trigger, and the fixed stock, and the 20rd straight magazine... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thousands of soldiers made do with muzzle loading smoothbore muskets as well. Wink

One thing that’s generally different about humans as compared with other animals is that we’re always looking for ways to do things better. IMO, something like the Raptor is far superior in terms of speed and reliability of operation to the GI charging handle.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
The standard style served millions of GI’s well for nearly half a century and continues to do so. Not sure why you’D need to use anything different- I do understand there are some issues if you run a suppressor but since I never have not sure of the nuances there

There's not much to grab ahold of on a standard CH.

Especially if your optic has a large ocular lens which may get in the way. Or if you are wearing gloves. Or if it is raining and stuff is slippery.

Oversized controls have their place. The proliferation of larger control surface charging handles isn't just for kicks.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swapped almost all of my standard CHs out with the Viltor/BCM CHs with either the medium or large latch, depending on the size of the optic I was running. I’ve since tried the Raptor and the Geissele CHs for more recent builds, and for future builds, I’ll probably use those, but don’t see much reason currently to go back and swap out all the Viltor/BCM handles. That may change when I get my suppressors out of jail and see how they are for cutting down on gas leakage. Didn’t really need the ambi feature, but I do like being able to pull back the CH with one hand on the left side.

I kept the original style CHs just on a couple of retro ARs and a Colt M4A1 SOCOM clone.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I used to like the original BCMs but eventually some of them would pinch my finger when charging.

Moved on to the Geissele SCH and sold the BCMs. Really dig the Geissele SCH, I use them on all my scoped ARs and the smaller latched ACH version on rifles with RDS.

Granted the most I ever paid for the ones I have was $65 and I bought more this weekend for $50. For MSRP of $89.99 it's a bridge too far.

For those not familiar with the difference

Thanks for the picture, it pushed me over the edge...especially with the Black Friday price.

I'd been using the BCM and been looking at the Raptor, but a Geissele SCH for $50 was just too good to pass up

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
The standard style served millions of GI’s well for nearly half a century and continues to do so. Not sure why you’D need to use anything different- I do understand there are some issues if you run a suppressor but since I never have not sure of the nuances there

So you are running a 1975 era AR15 then? It served well in Vietnam and all. Wink

[crotchety-old-fart-who-pitches-60-bitches-per-second-but-only-shoots-1-round-per-visit-to-the-range.]

While we're at it, why did they move the charging handle to the back of the upper receiver in the first place?

The old charging handle was fine inside the carry handle where Stoner first put it. Totally ambidextrous right were it used to be. No need for gears or fancy latches and springs. Also, no hole in the back for gas to squirt you right in the eye.

Jeez.

You kids are always figuring out ways to screw things up while spending money on fancy do-dads and do-nothings to fix problems that didn't exist in the first place.

[/crotchety-old-fart-who-pitches-60-bitches-per-second-but-only-shoots-1-round-per-visit-to-the-range.]

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use BCM medium.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
[but-only-shoots-1-round-per-visit-to-the-range.]

Well, duh. How else are you going to guarantee every range session results in a sub-MOA group?

Posts: 32427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
BCM Medium on mine. I like to operate the charging handle with my left hand, and the Medium gives me enough area to reliably grip without being big enough to snag on stuff.

Same here.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I really like the raptor i have on my SBR. I think on my next I'll likely go with the Geissele. Just because the extra lip may help when suppressed.

But I usually only notice the gas shooting indoors.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’m using a POF Ambi tomahawk. Seems sturdy. It’s a bit weird in that it feels better charging with the right hand vs left. Only slightly. Works for me being I’m a lefty. Killed my desire for side charging uppers.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
I have BCM Mediums on both of my AR's.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Radian Arms Raptors for me, also. I've got a couple of BCM ambi charging handles, and they're ok. I just prefer the feel of the Raptor.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using the LMT with tac latch for many years. For me, it's the perfect balance of size and ergonomics. Not ambi however, and can be difficult to find.

Posts: 30 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: February 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of BCM ambi charging handles, but gave the Geissele SCH a try and I like it a lot better, so I will be going with the Geissele SCH on future builds.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
You already ordered the best

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the Radian Raptors. I had the original and have recently switched to the Raptor SD. The SD goes a great job of redirecting the gases when shooting suppressed.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different strokes I guess,but the standard charging handle did me just fine for combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and not saying fancy handles didn’t happen, but even in the hands of the high speed guys we at times worked with I only ever saw standard charging handles.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I actually somehow ended up with a double star CH although it is cheap it works very well and is sized right.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post