SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR charging handles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR charging handles Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

What's your favorite nonstandard AR charging handle?

I have a couple of BCM handles (medium, I think) and like them quite a bit. Easy to operate, rugged, no issues.

I just ordered a couple of the Geissele Super Charging Handles because Black Friday and I wanted to try them out.

What else is out there. I have heard of the Raptors but have never seen one live.

What do you like and why?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All of my ARs have BCM Mediums.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I like the BCM medium and actually like my old school standard GI handle with the Badger Ordnance tactical latch.

Supposedly the weak point of a larger latch on a standard handle is the amount of stress that can be placed on the roll pin. I haven't managed to break mine yet, but I am hesitant to drop $150 on a charging handle.

I do favor some style of increased sized latch, I have had my hand slip off of a standard latch when trying to charge fast on the clock as mandated in a 3-gun stage. So if speed matters, I think a larger latch is good.

Too big can be detrimental if you spend a lot of time with the rifle slung.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I used to like the original BCMs but eventually some of them would pinch my finger when charging.

Moved on to the Geissele SCH and sold the BCMs. Really dig the Geissele SCH, I use them on all my scoped ARs and the smaller latched ACH version on rifles with RDS.

Granted the most I ever paid for the ones I have was $65 and I bought more this weekend for $50. For MSRP of $89.99 it's a bridge too far.

For those not familiar with the difference

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have several Raptor ambidextrous charging handles. One that I have had for a few years gets regular heavy rapid operation use. It’s smooth and shows no sign developing any problems. It’s a little more positive than the old standard design with the tab in the middle because pulling on any part of the latch works. I’ve never been a fan of the ones with the large, oversized latches.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
All of my ARs have BCM Mediums.

Yeah, when I spend my own coin, this is what I buy.

I was issued a rifle with the Raptor on it, and I have snagged the handle on my plate carrier and sling a bunch. So much so, I considered going back to a GI charging handle, but haven't yet.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
BCM Medium on mine. I like to operate the charging handle with my left hand, and the Medium gives me enough area to reliably grip without being big enough to snag on stuff.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I have medium BCM handles on all my ARs. They just do what I want them to do and they are sized properly for my needs. I see no reason to spend more money on a handle that may, or may not, do what the BCMs do.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Really liking Aero's Ambidextrous changing handles. Especially the price. I've got a lot of BCM large latch charging handles on my ARs. But like the Aero Ambi better. Easier to grab in my old age.

https://www.armorally.com/shop...ous-charging-handle/

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I was gifted a BCM Medium and I really like it. I put it on my main carbine and have not had any issue with snagging it. I will eventually put one on my other rifles.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Radian Raptor on my Ar-15
Tried a POF Tomahawk on my .308 AR that worked well and looked cool.
Swapped it out for a Radian Raptor as well.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I used to like the original BCMs but eventually some of them would pinch my finger when charging.

Moved on to the Geissele SCH and sold the BCMs. Really dig the Geissele SCH, I use them on all my scoped ARs and the smaller latched ACH version on rifles with RDS.

Granted the most I ever paid for the ones I have was $65 and I bought more this weekend for $50. For MSRP of $89.99 it's a bridge too far.

Almost my experience to a T.

I really liked the original BCM/VLTOR design and still have several installed in my go-to ARs, with no plans to replace them in the immediate future.

I am not a fan of the new split-rear-end style gunfighters. This is specifically because the old VLTOR style had a solid lip (like that on Geissele's SCH) that was very effective as a base for applying RTV gasket-sealer to eliminate suppressor squirt-eye.

My former coworkers at the shop share this opinion. I even know one who told me "If I know someone is getting rid of their old one, I'll offer to trade him for a new style gunfighter."

BCM's discontinuing of the old style kind of left me in a lurch. The only choices I can see now are upmarket or downmarket. I have a Strike Industries ARCH-EL that's in the wings for a budget-oriented build (if I should ever be in the mood). I also have a Geissele SCH sleighted for any higher-end build I might consider, with a few more Geisseles, including an airborne, on the way from the recent black-friday sale.

I've never demanded that my charging handles be ambidextrous (I feel like it's one of the least important controls in terms of needing to be ambi), but with the loss of the old-style BCM/VLTOR style CH and Geissele's $50/SCH/ACH sale, the time was right.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I previously had BCM charging handles on all three of my ARs. Right now the two I use the most both have Raptors. I do like the ambi style even though I am and shoot right handed. I find it easier to lock the bolt back and to do chamber checks by just turning the carbine a bit and manipulating the right side of the charging handle.

I have not tried the Geissele SCH yet but plan to on my next build.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've got three Raptors, but just ordered two of the Geissele units because of the sale. They'll be going in two 14.5" guns, or maybe some mix and match with my LMT SBR.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I really like the Radian Raptors and I have a Geissele I like. I tried a Ranier Arms one that I haven't really taken a shine to and I think I'm going to replace it with a Geissele.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
Be careful of the latch size on the new BCM charging handles.I read thread a while back that the size of the latch of the new models is different from the old models. Don't remember the specifics.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Be careful of the latch size on the new BCM charging handles.I read thread a while back that the size of the latch of the new models is different from the old models. Don't remember the specifics.

Really?

If that's true, I'd be interested in some more details.

It's been a couple years since I've bought any BCM charging handles.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The standard style served millions of GI’s well for nearly half a century and continues to do so. Not sure why you’D need to use anything different- I do understand there are some issues if you run a suppressor but since I never have not sure of the nuances there

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If that's true, I'd be interested in some more details.

It's been a couple years since I've bought any BCM charging handles.

I bought my first BCM handle in 2013 - the medium size with the very pronounced handle and I liked it a lot. Went back this month to buy another only to discover they've redesigned them. It's a much more streamlined designed that's less likely to snag on gear, but the new design just isn't as positive in my hand. I've found the current large latch good enough, but not as good as the previous gen.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
The standard style served millions of GI’s well for nearly half a century and continues to do so. Not sure why you’D need to use anything different- I do understand there are some issues if you run a suppressor but since I never have not sure of the nuances there

So you are running a 1975 era AR15 then? It served well in Vietnam and all. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post