SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR charging handles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR charging handles Login/Join 
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
All of my ARs have BCM Mediums.

Same here.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the BCM medium, either the regular or the ambidextrous one.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have several Rainier Arms Raptors and am completely happy with them. They always operate smoothly and although I don’t use the ambidextrous feature often, when I need it, it’s important to have. I also like the size of the latch: plenty large without stabbing me in the chest when carrying the rifle slung in close or during fast transitions.
There are, of course, innumerable choices, but experimenting with them all would take forever and cost a fortune.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always just used G.I. on mine, but I don't have large optics that get in the way either. And that is what I was used to from my years in the military. (my issued rifle in the 82nd had "A1" hand stamped after the original "M16" and let's just say it was well broken in. LOL - though the rifle ran like a champ and never had any stoppages with live ammo.)

Anyway -

quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

While we're at it, why did they move the charging handle to the back of the upper receiver in the first place?

The old charging handle was fine inside the carry handle where Stoner first put it. Totally ambidextrous right were it used to be. No need for gears or fancy latches and springs. Also, no hole in the back for gas to squirt you right in the eye.

As for the original design, according to an interview with James Sullivan (who probably had more to do with making the design actually work than Stoner did) in the original design concept of the AR10, the gas key was on the left side of the bolt carrier, not the top. I don't remember what problem they were solving by moving the gas key to the top of the bolt carrier, but when they did the original hook-type charging handle got too hot to touch because it is so close to the gas tube. Moving the handle to the rear of the receiver was the compromise, which of course introduced the hole in the back of the upper that blows gas in your eye.

It is interesting to speculate, though, what they would have done if that design had persisted and *then* wanted to remove the carry handle and mount optics. They would have had to move the charging handle somehow at that point.

Posts: 964 | Registered: August 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The problem with the old charging handle is it isn't ambi for how the weapons are employed today - ie, charged with the support hand while your other hand remains on the pistol grip.

The days of shooting chicken wing elbow and charging with your trigger hand are over - well as far as serious users are concerned.

And I have two more Geissele ACHs in the stable after the Black Friday sale.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post