SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a Ruger AR556 pistol on 4-4-19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Ruger AR556 pistol on 4-4-19 Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
https://www.ruger.com/products...56Pistol/models.html

Has anyone seen one in the wild yet?
A nice brace, a 10.5” barrel and a carbine gas system....sounds good to me.
I will probably feel a need to pick one up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I might need one of those too. I'll wait for a while. I've got a nice AR pistol already.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Good looking set up.

Too bad dd can't get their head out and use a better brace, ( oh, say.. like the SBA3 ) than what they're using on the V7Ps.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I juggled some funds and picked mine up today.
I think I have a set of Ruger branded BUIS at the house. I’ll throw those on there to at least do a function test.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Please title your thread with more than a weapon name. Tell people why you're posting in the title.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and get it the heck out of the rifle section...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my mistake on location.
Knee jerk reaction to having AR in the product name.

And Arc, I’ll edit the title also.

posted Hide Post
Got it out and shot it today. This was a straight out of the box test.

So far, with several different flavors of ammo, it’s a single shot.Frown
It’s short stroking mostly. Most times it will extract and eject, but won’t strip the next round from the mag. It won’t lock back on empty, only when I pull the charging handle. I also had a couple failures to extract. Three times I had to mortar it on my knee to extract spent cases.
I used:
Old Wolf 55gr steel
Tula 55, 62, & 75gr Steel
Some brass cases reloads I had from years ago
Some new WWB 5.56 brass ammo.

Accuracy was good even though this was mainly just a function test. I could ‘splode cowpiles at 50 or so yards with the BUIS I found in my parts bin. (Ruger branded BUIS at that!)

Needless to say, I’m disappointed. I put in an email to Ruger. I’ll try to keep y’all posted.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old Wolf 55gr steel
Tula 55, 62, & 75gr Steel
Some brass cases reloads I had from years ago Some new WWB 5.56 brass ammo.

Those first three loads are red flags. The gun may simply not like them. How did it do with the new WWB?

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egregore:

Same symptoms with all ammo.

posted Hide Post
Those with more experience in SBR AR15s should weigh in, but I suspect your system may be under gassed.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Those with more experience in SBR AR15s should weigh in, but I suspect your system may be under gassed.

It has a carbine length gas system.
I’m thinking either under gassed or over sprung. The buffer spring is pretty stout compared to my rifles.
But also I have no idea of the size of the gas port.
I may very well let Ruger sort it out. That is one of the big reasons for buying a “name brand” gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

It has a carbine length gas system.
I’m thinking either under gassed or over sprung. The buffer spring is pretty stout compared to my rifles.
But also I have no idea of the size of the gas port.
I may very well let Ruger sort it out. That is one of the big reasons for buying a “name brand” gun.

I will be following this to see how it turns out.
Forgive my ignorance, but a carbine-length gas system is a known entity. This pistol is basically a ruger rifle with a chopped-down barrel, right? So the gas system should be the same as for any other rifle, not something designed specifically for this pistol. How could they still have problems with this?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very strange it would be undergassed since most all ARs are overgassed from the factory. However, short barrels with carbine gas systems can have issues because of the short distance between the muzzle and the gas block, which allows the gas pressure to drop off from the bullet exiting the barrel before it gives enough force to fully cycle the carrier. Usually the gas ports on 10.5 inch ARs have to be opened up as compared to 14.5 or 16 inch barrels to avoid this, but most manufactures know this. I have a 10.5” Aero Precision upper with carbine gas that runs fine unsuppressed using an H buffer and 62 and 55 grain ammo. However, it’s all brass ammo. I won’t shoot steel cased in any AR.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
My Ruger AR556 rifle did not like the Wolf steel cased ammo, especially when it was brand new. After brake-in with mostly M855, it "tolerates" it now (my PSA 16" mid-length and 10.5 pistol both love it)...the Ruger AR556 pistol might be more sensitive to pressure and dwell time with the shorter barrel...Wolf steel is said to be lower pressure (according to interweb lore...but that would answer a lot)...not sure where WWB would be.

One thing you might check is the buffer spring...
Mine was dry as a bone and after a LIGHT spritz and wipe down with CLP, felt much smoother with less noticeable "sprong" (at least to me anyways)...that could be a source of added friction until everything settles in.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got an email back from Ruger. They want to send me a call tag to get the gun back to them for evaluation.

posted Hide Post
Dropped it off at my LGS this AM to ship it back to Ruger. We shall see how long the process takes.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dropped it off at my LGS this AM to ship it back to Ruger. We shall see how long the process takes.

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update
My FFL got an email from Ruger last Friday (04-19) that they had received my AR pistol. Ruger also stated that normal turnaround time is about two weeks.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update
My FFL got an email from Ruger last Friday (04-19) that they had received my AR pistol. Ruger also stated that normal turnaround time is about two weeks.

Thanks! I was just about to ask if you had heard from Ruger yet.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ