SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a Ruger AR556 pistol on 4-4-19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Ruger AR556 pistol on 4-4-19 Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Had hernia surgery on Friday, so I wasn’t very prompt in posting the update.
I also doubt I’ll get much detail from Ruger on what was wrong or how they remedied the issue. More than likely I will get a call from the LGS that my gun is back and that will be the end of it.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Old Wolf 55gr steel
Tula 55, 62, & 75gr Steel
Some brass cases reloads I had from years ago Some new WWB 5.56 brass ammo.

Those first three loads are red flags. The gun may simply not like them. How did it do with the new WWB?

Sounds like an ammo issue to me, as well.

WWB isn't the most stupendous ammo, either.. especially when breaking in a new AR.

OP, you wrote that this was a straight out of the box range session. Did you literally do this or did you break the weapon down for cleaning and proper lubrication prior to firing it?

Its sounds like there's too much working against this new pistol: weak/low quality ammo and uncleaned/not properly lubricated.

I too, am curious to see what Ruger tells you.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. round one was straight out of the box. Took the BCG out and made sure daylight showed through the barrel.
After the first set of failures, I did take the buffer spring out and give it a wipe down.
I also wiped down the BGC and dropped a little oil on it (I did not disassemble it).
Gun continued to short stroke. I emailed Ruger and they said “send it in”.
Yes, the ammo I was using is known for being at the lower end of the pressure scale. But it’s what I tested first in all my other ARs. I don’t care to have one that is particularly picky on ammo.
If it was a gun i’d Built or traded for, I would spend more time diagnosing and fixing it myself.

This is as much a test of Ruger’s CS as anything.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Going from past personal experience with Ruger's CS, you probably won't be disappointed.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:

Going from past personal experience with Ruger's CS, you probably won't be disappointed.

I don’t think I will either. I’ve never had call to use them with any of the pistols or revolvers I’ve bought. But I’ve always heard good things about Ruger’s CS.

posted Hide Post
Picked up the gun this afternoon after work. The only thing extra in the box was a Ruger branded silicon rag. No notes or worksheets.
I received no email traffic on the gun and, as far as I know, neither did my LGS.
So it is home. I put the BUIS back on it tonight but with the busy schedules of myself and the kids, it may be this weekend before I get to shoot it.
I’ll let y’all know.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picked up the gun this afternoon after work. The only thing extra in the box was a Ruger branded silicon rag. No notes or worksheets.
I received no email traffic on the gun and, as far as I know, neither did my LGS.
So it is home. I put the BUIS back on it tonight but with the busy schedules of myself and the kids, it may be this weekend before I get to shoot it.
I’ll let y’all know.

Did your pistol appear dirty when you received it back from Ruger?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’ll let y’all know.

It did not. In fact it seemed to have all the factory lube on it. I did notice that the rails between the receiver and the forearm now match better at the seam (better aligned)....y’all reckon they just replaced the upper?
I almost wish I had marked it somehow so I’d know.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I’ll let y’all know.

It did not. In fact it seemed to have all the factory lube on it. I did notice that the rails between the receiver and the forearm now match better at the seam (better aligned)....y’all reckon they just replaced the upper?
I almost wish I had marked it somehow so I’d know.

They might've. Could've just been easier for them to swap uppers to get your pistol back to you sooner.

Or, the guys working in their warranty shop had the time to really put it together right, compared to the folks on the main production line who are simply putting them to together one after another.

I wonder if they test fired it though..? Since it's that clean/pristine.

posted Hide Post
Ok. Small update.
I field stripped the gun and inspected it. They may very well have factory fired it because there was some metal on the feed ramps. Looked like copper to me, but they were small pieces.
I just now stepped out on the porch and busted off ten rounds of Tula 55 grain ammo pretty quickly.
It ran fine and locked back when the magazine was empty.
I’m not calling it fixed just yet, but we seem to be headed in the right direction.

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok. Small update.
I field stripped the gun and inspected it. They may very well have factory fired it because there was some metal on the feed ramps. Looked like copper to me, but they were small pieces.
I just now stepped out on the porch and busted off ten rounds of Tula 55 grain ammo pretty quickly.
It ran fine and locked back when the magazine was empty.
I’m not calling it fixed just yet, but we seem to be headed in the right direction.

Well, that's definitely an improvement. Thanks for the update!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a chance to get this out again. After about ten rounds of Tula, it turns back into a single shot.
Brass WWB seemed okay, but I only ran a few rounds of that through it.
I quit when I had to hammer a stuck steel case out with a cleaning rod.
I have some m193 stored offsite. I’ll gather up some of that and see what happens.

posted Hide Post
Dropped the AR off at the LGS today. Ruger is sending another call tag for it.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Everyone and their mother makes cheap 10.5 inch uppers. And they choke. Wish there was a lot more 11.5 inch uppers on the market.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Everyone and their mother makes cheap 10.5 inch uppers. And they choke. Wish there was a lot more 11.5 inch uppers on the market.

Yeah, I bought a Diamond Back AR pistol as well. Same setup as the Ruger, carbine length gas, 10.5” barrel...$500 OTD with a KAK brace installed.
So far it has eaten everything I’ve fed it. Even using the pmag that came with the Ruger.
I’m still not mad at Ruger. I’m confident they will get it fixed. But the CS rep on the phone today made it sound like they had several back for issues.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dropped the AR off at the LGS today. Ruger is sending another call tag for it.

Did you run anymore brass cased ammo through it, ( besides the few rounds you mentioned ) before requesting an RMA for it again?

I got a chance to go over one of the first ones that came into my LGS last week. I was a little disappointed to see that the castle nut wasn't staked and that a single set screw retains the gas block to the barrel. The mil-spec trigger was probably the most horrendous I've tried in a good long while.

Not bad, a tad heavy in the front, but not too shabby overall.

I can't wait until my 11.5" barrel and M-lok forend comes in so I can finish my pistol build.

posted Hide Post
I never got any m193 out to try, but the WWB started doing the same thing after I got the gun warm.
And yes, the trigger on mine is pretty bad, compared to the diamond back AR I also bought.
I still think Ruger will get it done in the end, but I am a little disappointed in having to send it back twice.
I just don’t believe that an AR should have to have $2/round ammo to run properly.

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Sucks you're having issues. My only advice is to lube it a lot more than you think it needs. ARs can be tight when new, gas rings in the carrier, bolt lugs in the barrel extension, carrier in the upper, everything hasn't worked in just yet to make the system slick. Couple that with dirty/weak ammo like Tula and the gun just chokes.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up the AR556 pistol from the LGS this afternoon. I won’t have time to shoot it today.
The paperwork said they replaced the BCG & fired 30 rounds with no malfunctions. They did not specify what ammo.
I’ll let y’all know. I have two yards to mow and a couple of side hustle computer jobs this weekend so time will be tight.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Here is a protip. Always lube a new gun before firing it.

You break in new 5.56 guns with M193 ammo. A couple hundred rounds of it. Its hot, its clean, it works. You dont break 5.56 guns in on Tula ammo.

You break 9MM guns in with 9MM NATO ammo. A couple hundred rounds of it. Its hot, its clean, it works. You dont break 9MM guns in on Tula ammo.

This is years and years of experience. People lose faith in guns that are not "reliable", so give them the best chance to become reliable, with a nice hot break in, with nice, good quality ammunition.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post