SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bren 2 quietly released
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bren 2 quietly released Login/Join 
posted
So, it appears that CZ has quietly released pistol versions of the Bren 2 in 5.56 and 7.62x39.

It looks like a heck of a sbr candidate, but after having invested in the 805 S1, is it worth the jump? Also, I am wondering if the S1 will be discontinued as a result.

What do you all think?

Bren 2 has landed

On the downside, it looks like the 7.62x39 807 uses proprietary magazines. That could be a potential deal breaker for me.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Seems like guns of today are becoming more like consumer electronics...and will get quickly outdated...

Reminds me of the Tavor SAR that was on the market for 2~3 years before they decided that the better X95 should replace it...

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Seems like guns of today are becoming more like consumer electronics...and will get quickly outdated...

Reminds me of the Tavor SAR that was on the market for 2~3 years before they decided that the better X95 should replace it...

Don't let a SAR owner here you describe the x95 as better. I am just warning you, the lectures of why their money was better spend on the SAR is only rivaled by our congress for bullshit.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Man oh man. I can’t wait to see what other models they will be offering. While those on Prepper’s site are ok, I want something with a barrel around 11” in 5.56.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I do not like it as much as the Gen 1.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Man oh man. I can’t wait to see what other models they will be offering. While those on Prepper’s site are ok, I want something with a barrel around 11” in 5.56.
If I am not mistaken, some of this batch of Bren 2 pistols were 5.56 caliber in 14", 11", and 8" barrel lengths. I think the 14" is full length on the 806 overseas. I would check on GunBroker to see if they have any listings.

Posts: 706 | Location: FL | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I asked my source at CZ USA about the Bren 2 civilian SBR the reply was "good things are on the horizion" hint hint. So maybe soon now that some pistols have been released.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'll be more interested in the Gen2 (or 806) when it gets closer to the price of the 805

I'd be more interested in the 7.62x39, I won't replace my 223/805 with a 223/806 ... Unless I pick one up on the battle field, and that's not likely Smile

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I will buy one when paroled from California.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Don't let a SAR owner here you describe the x95 as better. I am just warning you, the lectures of why their money was better spend on the SAR is only rivaled by our congress for bullshit.

Well, ok but IWI US themselves announced about a year ago that the SAR is being discontinued in favor of the X95, I don't necessarily agree with that but yeah...
https://iwi.us/iwi-us-to-phase...-original-tavor-sar/

They still list the SAR in their product line up so maybe they changed their mind or they're delaying the phase.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, ok but IWI US themselves announced about a year ago that the SAR is being discontinued in favor of the X95, I don't necessarily agree with that but yeah...

They still list the SAR in their product line up so maybe they changed their mind or they're delaying the phase.

Its all about the money ... if IWI can sell it as better than it must be ... and maybe they'll sell, at least a good chunk of those TAVOR owners a SAR.

Personally I hated my TAVOR and after a couple range trips an being convinced I had to spend at least $125 on a new upper rail (and loose my excellent BUIS) and another $300+ on a Gisele so I'd have a shoot-able trigger, and another $100+ for a decent forend ... after the $1700 I spent on the gun ... I was done with it.

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
quote:

Its all about the money ... if IWI can sell it as better than it must be ... and maybe they'll sell, at least a good chunk of those TAVOR owners a SAR.

Personally I hated my TAVOR and after a couple range trips an being convinced I had to spend at least $125 on a new upper rail (and loose my excellent BUIS) and another $300+ on a Gisele so I'd have a shoot-able trigger, and another $100+ for a decent forend ... after the $1700 I spent on the gun ... I was done with it.

^^^ This is exactly why I won’t buy a SCAR. ^^^^

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to derail this thread but what on earth are you talking about re: a scar. Its nothing like the problems of the X95 in stock form. its perfectly usable as delivered.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not to derail this thread but what on earth are you talking about re: a scar. Its nothing like the problems of the X95 in stock form. its perfectly usable as delivered.

I'm assuming Nick and I are of the same mind here. For the SCAR, once you buy one, every tells you "Get a Geisselle trigger! Its a must have upgrade (for $250)!" Then they move on to "The factory rail is TOO SHORT! You need an MREX (for $200)!" Then its "The charging handle gets in the way of your optic mount, you need a KDG (for $50)!" Then "The PMM safety levers are only $30, get those too, a world of difference!" After having spent between $2500-$3200 on a new rifle, people insist on hundreds of additional dollars in "must haves!". It is quite ridiculous.

To me, the CZ Scorpion is the same way. That thing is atrocious out of the box. You need to change the grip, safety, trigger and charging handle to make it a useable weapon. At least the base weapon itself is relatively cheep.

To get back on track, I have been waiting for the Bren 2 for quite some time, and am thrilled its finally released. I will be attempting a mil/LEO purchase through CZ for the braced 5.56 version (although an 8" barrel seems awful short).

Your assumption is correct. And like you, I have been wanting a Bren 2 ever since I read about them. Since I had read that they would not be available for years; my plan was to purchase an X95. But if the rifles are following the pistols, I may bypass the X95 all together. But I cannot do anything until our house sells and we get out from behind the tofu curtain.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The Bren 2 pistols that have been released are as close to the Bren 2 military version as you're going to be able to get. The next release of the Bren 2 to hit the states will have some slight changes according to Tim over on MAC.

I'm not in the market for one so I didn't pay that much attention to what the variances on the next release will be.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Having shot both, i much prefer the x95. Ill give up that tiny bit of accuracy for ergonomics.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back to Nick and dwd1985 and the SCAR. I'm pretty sure you haven't actually used one extensively. Because if you did none of those upgrades are actually needed. I've a zillion rounds and 100's of matches and the only upgrade I did was the PMM sling mounts which make life easier. The X95 on the other hand mostly needs all the help it can get. The scorpion is in between. I've been using one lately in tactical matches and yes you do need to change the safety. Other than that OK. But if you wanted to do more the saving grace is that its priced so that you can spend every cent you want and still be below the other comparable especially considering the cheap mags.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I must be in the minority on the Scorpion ... I did get the left safety delete and the 922r kit, so maybe that made the trigger better. I did want a folding charger handle ... In my opinion just making it bigger makes it more likely to get caught on whatever ... I made the mistake of buying the Manticore Switchback which folds, but only closes by kenitic energy, and even giving it the HK slap it only closes maybe 20% of the time ... They offered to refund my money but I think I can improve it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I also got the carbine handguard as I only shoot it suppressed, so that gives me more forward landscape ... I didn't see the point of the duckbill mag release or the different grips but each to their own ...

I do kind of like the K handguard and shorter barrel and have been thinking of one with a folding brace with the tail hook ... It would go well well with the MP5K

Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Back to Nick and dwd1985 and the SCAR. I'm pretty sure you haven't actually used one extensively. Because if you did none of those upgrades are actually needed. I've a zillion rounds and 100's of matches and the only upgrade I did was the PMM sling mounts which make life easier. The X95 on the other hand mostly needs all the help it can get. The scorpion is in between. I've been using one lately in tactical matches and yes you do need to change the safety. Other than that OK. But if you wanted to do more the saving grace is that its priced so that you can spend every cent you want and still be below the other comparable especially considering the cheap mags.

My comment about the SCAR was mirroring dwd1985 comment regarding the X95, I never compared the two. I have however shot a SCAR 16 and my first hand observations are that it is a great platform that should be better for the money they charge. I won’t pay close to three grand for a rifle and have a trigger like what comes stock on a SCAR. I didn’t care for the stock or the safety either.

Feel free to love yours, they are a great platform.

posted Hide Post
Why is it that nobody thinks twice about an AR with user added safeties, grips, stocks, rails, and whatever else, but when it's a Scorpion, Tavor/X95, SCAR, or literally anything else, it's unconscionable?

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post