SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mount height to clear front sight post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mount height to clear front sight post Login/Join 
posted
What height 2 piece mount is required to clear the front sight post on an AR, but still allow a decent cheek weld on a standard carbine stock? 3x9x40, 1” tube.

Posts: 503 | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
1.5" from rail to centerline of the optic is kind of the 'standard' for optic height on AR-15s.

It won't 'clear' the front sight, but you won't see it with the magnification on that scope.

There are some higher mounts, up to 1.93 and even 2.03, but those are usually for a very heads up shooting position and to clear PEQ / IR lasers.

And for an AR-15, without a monolithic front rail / receiver, I would highly recommend a 1-piece mount with eye relief built in, otherwise the scope will be too far back, or you will have to place the front ring on the handguard rail.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Not seeing a shadow from the front sight tower and good cheek weld are opposite ideals in my experience.
I use a one piece cantilever mount to get the optic far enough forward for eye relief.
The shadow is no biggie in the 3x10 I have on my varmint carbine.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not exactly same situation but I have an ACOG mounted on my AR with a standard front sight (Used on duty for years). Front sight isn't even noticeable. I would mount it so it's comfortable. If you raise scope and need to add a riser you can run into problems with the charging handle hitting riser if using collapsible stocks.

Posts: 334 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Agreed. With a magnified optic you won't see the front sight post, so go with the mount that's comfortable for you in both height and eye relief.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Fixed front sight posts are only visible with unmagnified optics. There may be a little bit of noticeable ghosting with a 1.5x or 2x optic. But you won't even notice it with a 3-9x.

You're focusing past the front sight post. Like watching the action on a ballfield while standing directly behind a chain link fence.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post