SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Good Deal, Or Not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Deal, Or Not? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
My son-in-law, who has a need to know about things that go bang, is convinced I need to add an AR-15 to my collection. As it stands right now, the only long guns I have are a Henry 22LR lever action and an Anschutz 22LR MSR RX22. I don't even take these to the range very often.

So, he sent me a link to Brownell's saying this was a super deal. A mil-spec, DIY model

http://www.brownells.com/rifle...stock-prod88054.aspx

Is this a good deal? He seems to think it is, at least for someone like me who has no experience with a 5.56?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
BY 'DIY' you understand that the 80% lower will require machining to work, right? If you have the tools/jigs to do this it seems like a good deal and a fun project.

However, you can purchase a complete AR for just a bit more almost anywhere these days.

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not recommend an 80% lower for a new AR guy. As mentioned above, the lower will be need to machined out and drilled for the pins. Not a beginner job. I don't do 80% lowers myself.

An easy answer, but a little more expensive is:
Colt 6920, a nice light 6720 or a 6920 with MAGPUL furniture.

If you want a little do it yourself try 6920 OEM 1or a 6920 OEM 2. Same COLT quality, but you pick the hand guards, stock and trigger guard. All easy installs with little chance to negatively affect the reliability of the base rifle.

If the price on the above Colts are too steep, look at the affordable yet still quality S&W Sport II.

You can try different vendors for better prices, I picked G and R because they carry all the models I wanted to point out to you. Use the search feature here and on M4carbine.net find out the COLT and S&W's track records, they are actually pretty good. you might also be able to get a decent one from Stag or Aero, but I've only used their parts, not a complete rifle. Ruger was selling their DI ARs for a reasonable price as well. BCM, DD, KAC and LMT all make great rifles, but they are a bit more expensive.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
you can get fully built AR's right around $500 from PSA and other places.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Right now this is the best deal that I have seen out there.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-ar-556-475-0

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
Right now this is the best deal that I have seen out there.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/ruger-ar-556-475-0

Odd....Slick links back to GrabAGun - at $4 less?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
That looks like they put together a bunch of parts that don't sell, and made it a kit.

80 percent lowers? Hardly anyone buys those.

M4 profile barrel with no chrome lining?

10 inch rail?

Looks like a box of NOPE to me.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
That looks like they put together a bunch of parts that don't sell, and made it a kit.

Bingo.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I would pass. The other day I got an e-mail from CDNN advertising the Ruger AR556 for $499.99

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun show next weekend here in Richmond... New venue promises to bring decent deals and more than normal vendors. Last show S&W Sports were $479 or so....

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Buy the Ruger for $487 shipped or the Smith & Wesson for $498 shipped. You will be much happier with the purchase. Complete guns, with sights, a magazine, and a warranty.

http://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-5...-16-1-inch-30rd.html

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catal...30-1-10202-10202-gb/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post