SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me buy an AR rifle (or Sig MCX)...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me buy an AR rifle (or Sig MCX)... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Okay I'll try to keep this short... I have only really owned handguns. I want an AR15 or possibly a Sig MCX. I don't live in a free state.

My choices: MCX shipped to MA FFL, muzzle brake has to be welded, mag switched to 10 round.

Fixed Magazine AR. Any brand etc is okay. But I need to at least get a fixed mag lower and add the rest. I don't want to build. I could buy a complete lower and a complete upper. Is this as simple as it sounds or do I need any skills/tools to do this.

Pre-Healy AR: This means an AR 15 before our shithead attorney general put out an "enforcement letter" which means even our "copycat" rifles are now banned. So I can buy a used AR before this happened but it still has a lack of features due to the Massachusetts assault weapon ban. Someone is offering one to me. Here are the details. I know nothing of these parts. Plus it's engraved with his name and city on the lower, a definite minus for me. But tell me if this is crazy overpriced or quality stuff... The email I got...

"Our mutual friend told me you might be in the market for a pre-Healey AR. I have a DSA Arms lower AR15 with a Bear Creek Arsenal 16” optics-ready upper. I even have a copy of the original paperwork proving it is a pre-Healey in case you want to see that. The upper has a m-lok handguard with QD points on both sides at the front and back. It also comes with a pin/weld AR-Stoner muzzle brake and Magpul fixed carbine stock. The stock has a place on it to attach a Magpul QD adapter so you can use that with the QD points on the front for a two-point sling or just a one-point sling on the back. The upper has less than 100 rounds through it I believe. In case you’re wondering, my name, town, and the caliber are engraved on the right side because this was once a registered shirt-barrel rifle but has since been removed from the registry. I was thinking about putting it on Armslist for $2,000 but I’ll do $1,800 for a friend of Jon’s. Just let me know if you’re interested and we can set a meet up. "

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Okay I'll try to keep this short... I have only really owned handguns. I want an AR15 or possibly a Sig MCX. I don't live in a free state.

My choices: MCX shipped to MA FFL, muzzle brake has to be welded, mag switched to 10 round.

Fixed Magazine AR. Any brand etc is okay. But I need to at least get a fixed mag lower and add the rest. I don't want to build. I could buy a complete lower and a complete upper. Is this as simple as it sounds or do I need any skills/tools to do this.

Pre-Healy AR: This means an AR 15 before our shithead attorney general put out an "enforcement letter" which means even our "copycat" rifles are now banned. So I can buy a used AR before this happened but it still has a lack of features due to the Massachusetts assault weapon ban. Someone is offering one to me. Here are the details. I know nothing of these parts. Plus it's engraved with his name and city on the lower, a definite minus for me. But tell me if this is crazy overpriced or quality stuff... The email I got...

"Our mutual friend told me you might be in the market for a pre-Healey AR. I have a DSA Arms lower AR15 with a Bear Creek Arsenal 16” optics-ready upper. I even have a copy of the original paperwork proving it is a pre-Healey in case you want to see that. The upper has a m-lok handguard with QD points on both sides at the front and back. It also comes with a pin/weld AR-Stoner muzzle brake and Magpul fixed carbine stock. The stock has a place on it to attach a Magpul QD adapter so you can use that with the QD points on the front for a two-point sling or just a one-point sling on the back. The upper has less than 100 rounds through it I believe. In case you’re wondering, my name, town, and the caliber are engraved on the right side because this was once a registered shirt-barrel rifle but has since been removed from the registry. I was thinking about putting it on Armslist for $2,000 but I’ll do $1,800 for a friend of Jon’s. Just let me know if you’re interested and we can set a meet up. "

That quote sounds very high.

I've done quite a bit of business with the owner of this store:

http://www.gfaarmstec.com/new-arrivals.html

His last preban was listed at $1599. Greg @ GFA is very knowledgeable and has been 100% fair in my dealings with him.

I know things are bit off-kilter marketwise, but $1800 for a no-feature AR seems high, even for MA.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well decision made. Sig salesman called this morning and I ordered the MCX Virtus Patrol. I have to have it shipped to an FFL and the ffl will pin the muzzle break (I have to buy one since the stock flash hider isn’t compliant) and pin the stock. Oh and give me a 10 round mag instead of the 30 it comes with. I get to shell out an extra $200 or so for the honor. I hate this state. But I am getting 20% student discount on the rifle so it’s still under msrp.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Way better choice than that Bear Creek option. I'm still on the fence with the Virtus, however the shorty 300blk has my attention. Majority of what I've seen about the Virtus has been positive.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Way better choice than that Bear Creek option. I'm still on the fence with the Virtus, however the shorty 300blk has my attention. Majority of what I've seen about the Virtus has been positive.

I would agree.

That bear-creek rifle, pre-'rona, would have retailed used at ~$599, generously (in a non-ban state).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LDD,

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very good choice! The MCX is a sweet, smooth shooting rifle. $2000 for an assembled from parts AR is insane...I built something similar for my son a few years ago with BCA parts and I think I spent like $350, + a few parts I had lying around. You definitely made the right call.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to live in MA, so I feel your pain. Had several pre-Maura AR's that I probably should have sold for a huge profit before I left the state, but just took them with me.

Agree with others, you made a much better choice. If you ever end up looking for another 5.56 rifle, when I was in MA Tavor's were also legal and a good choice if you want something 100% reliable and very compact. However, for a first rifle MCX definitely a great choice.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
The easy fix is to move to another state is it not?

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Can you buy a pre-ban rifle, i.e. Pre-94?

From another state, or does it have to be in MA prior to the ban?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think pre ban needs to have been in Massachusetts prior. They do become available now and then but not cheap.

Moving isn’t an option now for a myriad of reasons.

On another note can you guys recommend a compensator or muzzle brake that would be less than $80 or so? It can’t be a flash hider to be legal here. I don’t know what brands are good. There seems to be a myriad of choices. Myriad is my word of the day.

These go to eleven.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Amongst the Myriad of options available for a brake, I don't generally get too deep in the woods with them becaue I've never been a fan. I just got an LMT brake because they were on sale and match my rifle. The Myriad of states that don't allow freedom, I ended up in one because I'm married to the Army, which is one of a Myriad of reasons I also have to neuter my stuff here too.

40 bucks. Get yourself a soft case for 15 and maybe a vert grip for 10. I got the case. It's worth every penny, although you'll likely end up with 15 to ship too.

https://lmtdefense.com/product...1-2x28-muzzle-break/

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Feel for you living in MA. Lived there for 35 years.

I know buying pre-Maura AR's not really an option. $2000 for some crappy lower-tier AR that probably cost $600 new? I don't think so.

Honestly, if it were me I'd get the SIG or a Tavor (which I think are also legal in MA).

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Compliant MDRx in 5.56?

Posts: 37 | Registered: September 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely the right choice. Shot a Virtus not too long ago and was REALLY impressed by it. I hate when that happens because now I kinda want one.

-MG

Posts: 1932 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think pre ban needs to have been in Massachusetts prior. They do become available now and then but not cheap.

So how would "the powers that be" know if it was in Massachusetts prior to the ban ... were they registered at some point?

Shortly after the ban expired I was looking for a Blue Label A2 HBAR Sporter lower for my Colt LMG upper and I think I gave $650 for, because that's what the seller could get from people in Massachusetts and other ban states would pay, even though he didn't live there.

It's been a few years back but I know there were people in Massachusetts. buying pre-ban guns and lowers so they could have all the "evil features" ... this had been discussed on the Gunbroker forums at length, but as I said it was some years ago ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

So how would "the powers that be" know if it was in Massachusetts prior to the ban ... were they registered at some point?

Shortly after the ban expired I was looking for a Blue Label A2 HBAR Sporter lower for my Colt LMG upper and I think I gave $650 for, because that's what the seller could get from people in Massachusetts and other ban states would pay, even though he didn't live there.

It's been a few years back but I know there were people in Massachusetts. buying pre-ban guns and lowers so they could have all the "evil features" ... this had been discussed on the Gunbroker forums at length, but as I said it was some years ago ...

I wasn't shooting back then but everything is registered in MA. They don't call it "registering" but you have to put send in sale paperwork (or do it online these days).

These go to eleven.