SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cross eye dominate and scopes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cross eye dominate and scopes. Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted
I discovered I'm Cross dominate a few years ago and adjusted for that with pistols.

I keep reading that it shouldn't be a concern with a scope.
But now that I'm playing with scopes more I'm having an odd issue.
When the scope is leveled to the rail the Cross hair is canted 30 deg to the left when focusing with my right eye.
Two different scopes, mounts and rifles.
At first I thought I botched the scope install, then thought the scopes were bad.

I have new mounts to try out and while messing with it I noticed that with my left (dominate) eye it is level but my right sees it canted.
If I hold my right eye at the butt it's level but the closer I get to proper eye relief the more it cants.

Anyone else have this happen?
Seems to be a recent thing as I don't recall this happening before.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have an astigmatism in your right eye. As long as you hit point of aim, I wouldn’t worry about it.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:

When the scope is leveled to the rail the Cross hair is canted 30 deg to the left when focusing with my right eye.

Tilt the gun until it isn't. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Tilt the gun until it isn't. Big Grin

Depending on the distance you are shooting, having the rifle and scope canted will create problems. I've had the same eye issue for years and the solution is relatively simple.

First, get a scope level that indicates scope cant. Most mount to the scope tube but there are some that mount to the picatinny rail. Get the scope tube type.

Second, get a piece of cardboard and place it at 50 yards. Once the cardboard is in place, use a level and draw a vertical plumb line

Next, get behind the rifle and align the vertical stadia of your crosshair with the plumb line and then secure the rifle by tightening your bipod or use sandbags (or a combination of both). Next, set your scope level to indicate level and tighten it down. Double check to make sure the scope crosshair is still plumb and the scope level reads level.

Now the hard part, I know the eye wants to level the scope to what you mentally perceive as level but you need to learn to look at the level and make adjustments to center the bubble in the vile before making a shot. It may take some time but you will learn to use and trust the scope level making it part of your pre-shot routine.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
At the moment, he knows that the mount and scope are straight, but we don't know if the gun is. So he may just as well be fixing a problem as causing one.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Someone else suggested I use a plumb to set the reticle instead of a level on the turret cap.
I looked around and used this method.
https://youtu.be/lQGM8Cn8lS8

I just got in another mount so I set it up with that method using a bi-pod and bags to level the rifle.
With the reticle square to the line it reads 6 deg off at the turret cap.
Still looks a bit canted but that could be from a number of things it looks like.

Just need to go and shoot them and see what happens.
I'll take them to work tomorrow and set the line up at 100 yds and see how it looks from different positions.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
As long as you hit point of aim, I wouldn’t worry about it.

this is the correct answer.

if you're getting your hits -- lock that scope down and bang away. Smile

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simple answer is you are either cocking your head or the rifle. Note, I've been a head cocker with my shotgun for 3 years now and finally did a bit of experimenting to find a solution. The reason I was cocking my head is because it seemed the only way I could get my eye aligned properly with the rib. Have had people at the range trying to help me and even spent money for a professional fitter and none could provide a solution for my. What I found to be the solution is dreadfully simple and I really would have thought the fitter would have provided a solution.

So, what was the solution that solved my issue. First, watching videos of exceptional shotgun shooters on the range provided the clue I needed. What I noticed is that these shooters with nice level heads carried their NOSE closer to the stock that what I was doing. Using a mirror the solution was to simply rotate my head just a bit to "hinge" my eye closer to the centerline of the shotgun. Basically point my beak toward the stock just a tiny bit was all it took to get my head level.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post