SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope mounting opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounting opinions Login/Join 
posted
Evening, I need to know the community’s opinion on scope mounting. I have a 300 Win Mag that I am going to mount a scope on. My buddy advised me to just put the Leupold STD base and rings due to weight. I was thinking of using the Mark 4 system. I am concerned that the std system will not be as robust. Any feedback would be appreciated as usual.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 403 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What rifle?
What scope?
What use?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Browning Abolt, Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44, hunting.

Posts: 403 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I often use the simple Warne bases & rings. I will say, your 300 Win Mag will have a fair bit of recoil. As a hunting rifle I wouldn’t expect high round counts though.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think a Mark 4 is needed on a hunting rifle. I prefer the Leupold Dual Dovetail over the STD, though.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Standard will be just fine.
Has been for decades.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d go with Talley lightweight scope rings personally.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
DNZ Game Reaper is what you're what you're after. Lightweight, 1 piece design, pretty much my go to mount for hunting applications.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper1323:
Browning Abolt, Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44, hunting.

A-Bolt?
A-Bolt II?
AB3?

The first two are the same for scope mounts. The AB3 is different.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Great choice of optic. Standard Leupold bases/rings are proven and absolutely reliable. Personally I would use Tally one piece base and rings. On my rifles I believe 'less parts is more better' LOL

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
DNZ Game Reaper is what you're what you're after. Lightweight, 1 piece design, pretty much my go to mount for hunting applications.

I’ve never had one that let me set the scope up the way I wanted, so they always end up looking really strange. With the 2 piece model or Talley lightweight you can reverse one or both rings to get a better fit.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post