SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking at a like new FN SCAR what should I look for?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking at a like new FN SCAR what should I look for? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I am looking at a like new SCAR 16 and 17. Besides an external inspection, is there anything I should look for in these rifles?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Aside from ensuring it doesn't looked ragged out, just a general function check.

BattleField Vegas runs the crap out of their SCARs and pretty much nothing breaks, so assuming it wasn't abused, just general integrity.

If they are 'like new' it should be pretty quick.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
If older PMAGS were used and not relief cut, the follower can push up on the mag catch and cause more than normal wear. That is the only thing I can thank of.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
Check for barrel cant relative to the receiver, the 17s were known to have these issues although mostly cosmetic and not functional.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
Check for barrel cant relative to the receiver, the 17s were known to have these issues although mostly cosmetic and not functional.
And usually that can be easily recorrected by removing the barrel and properly torquing the screws.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Probably both fine. But you might check the rearmost receiver screws and make sure they're not canted, particularly on the 17. You might also check out the front edges of the bolt lugs for burrs. Check the bolt stop as noted above.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, hopefully good to go!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post