SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    One of my best scores ever! **brown Santa arrived!**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of my best scores ever! **brown Santa arrived!** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Someone posted an un-fired 1997 Springfield Armory M1A Stainless Loaded with GI parts, a new Sadlak Airborne mount nestled in a new JAE-100 G3 for sale in the PX of the M14 forum. This package should retail for around $3,500.

I paid $2,150 shipped. The stock alone is around $1,900. Without hesitation, I broke out the credit card.

Should see it in a week.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AWESOME

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am prepared to offer up to treefiddy for dat.What a deal.Whenever I see the bargain of a lifetime,I am broke.

Posts: 75 | Registered: August 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed, that’s a great score. Well done!

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Wow that would be a perfect example of the way I would want one set up! Jealous!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Theft!!!

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I basically bought a JAE chassis and Sadlak scope mount and got a free M1A.

My T44E4 LRB with nitrided 5R is going into the JAE chassis and I'll have to figure out what to do with the action.

I could go a few different routes with it. I've got a beat up McMillan that needs an action and I've got a carbon-graphite-kevlar stock that will be available as well. I could make an XTC rifle out of it or mabybe get a SAGE and drop the action into it.

Too many options!

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That’s a heck of a deal!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Can't wait to see the results from the range.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Thanks! I basically bought a JAE chassis and Sadlak scope mount and got a free M1A.

My T44E4 LRB with nitrided 5R is going into the JAE chassis and I'll have to figure out what to do with the action.

I could go a few different routes with it. I've got a beat up McMillan that needs an action and I've got a carbon-graphite-kevlar stock that will be available as well. I could make an XTC rifle out of it or mabybe get a SAGE and drop the action into it.

Too many options!

Tony.

Or you could just sell the action and recoup 1/3 or so of the price ... then build a new action for your McMillan or the carbon-graphite-kevlar stock ...
The action may have problems you are not aware of and be the reason why the package is being sold cheap.

When something is ridiculously underpriced there is usually a reason why.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Dang Kimber, you are Debbie Downer today. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Dang Kimber, you are Debbie Downer today. Wink

Once bitten twice shy baby ...

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Even if the receiver is toast, I could replace it with a Bula receiver on the cheap since I’m a Bula parts dealer. I could sell a SAI receiver for more than what I pay for a Bula receiver.

I’ve also considered the possibility of trading The action for three Kreiger barrels.

Or, I may simply keep it. After all, I’m the M14 guy. Maybe I should at least have Springfield Armory M1A in the herd. Right now, all I have are Bulas and LRBs.

This will be my seventh complete rifle. I’ve got a stripped rear lugged Bula that needs building that I was intending on building with a Kreiger and a McMillan. I was thinking of using all the GI parts from this rifle and finishing my rear lugged match rifle.

Again, too many options.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Twins! The only parts that aren’t GI are the receiver and barrel.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Your bottom rifle looks like it has a Super Sniper 10x40?
I've got one on my SiG 716 DMR ... the quality of it far surpasses the cost of the scope, I've had it for several years and it still impresses me the glass is good, clarity is pretty good but the repeat-ability of the clicks to accuracy is great.
But I hate the hokey name.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Your bottom rifle looks like it has a Super Sniper 10x40?
I've got one on my SiG 716 DMR ... the quality of it far surpasses the cost of the scope, I've had it for several years and it still impresses me the glass is good, clarity is pretty good but the repeat-ability of the clicks to accuracy is great.
But I hate the hokey name.

Yeah, its a SWFA fixed 10x scope I got off sample list. I think I paid like $250 for it. It works good but for some reason, the set screws on the turrets keep backing out. I've got to put some purple loc tite on them.

Tony.

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I did a quick look-over of the action. The receiver and barrel are, indeed, unfired. There's handling marks, as would be expected.

I'm confident the bolt is not the original bolt. It's a used and poorly re-parked Textile Machine Works bolt (H&R sub-contactor). The bolt roller is dark grey which is a dead giveaway that it was re-parked. It's still in good condition and I'll gauge the bolt lugs later to see how worn they are.

The receiver shows no signs of ever being fired when looking at the bolt lugs. The inner right bolt lug shelf shows evidence of being over-machined which is typical of a SAI rifle of this era. This causes bolt to over-rotate when locked and results in bolt roller impact.

The right side of the receiver under the windage knob shows orange-peel from the casting and the left side of the receiver has a unique raised machining mark which resembles the CBS eye, or the Christian fish symbol that you see on car trunks.

The barrel shows no signs of ever being fired either. Headspace was 1.632" and TE was 0.5. Muzzle wear measured 1. The gas port showed no signs of carbon deposits or heat discoloration.

The GI operating rod is H&R and is in okay and serviceable condition. The tab is a little worn and tapered and it could benefit from being re-tabbed.

I'll probably part out the action and finish building my rear-lugged Bula with a Kreiger but I'm on the fence about it. I could finish building it into an XTC rifle and it will still shoot and function fine.

Decisions, decisions...

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Brown Santa means something different in MemphisWink

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2j9zRrJUPs

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post