SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Black’s dumb question of the month: Springfield 1903 A3 ammo question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black’s dumb question of the month: Springfield 1903 A3 ammo question Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Grandfather gave me a 1903 A3 for Christmas to go with the M1 Garand he gave me a couple years back.
I know the Garand is ammo limited is the 1903 as well or am I good with any .30-06 ammo?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any 30-06.

Before someone chirps in about 03's and brittle actions, none of that applies to 03A3's since they were all Remington and Smith Corona manufactured much, much later than heat treat issues with government armory made ones at Springfield pre 1918

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Any 30-06.

Before someone chirps in about 03's and brittle actions, none of that applies to 03A3's since they were all Remington and Smith Corona manufactured much, much later than heat treat issues with government armory made ones at Springfield pre 1918

what he said,

mine shoot best with AP, and 168gr SMK reloads,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not only can you use any .30-06, but a bolt rifle like the M19003A3 is a better choice than a Garand for firing any corrosive surplus M2 Ball ammo you have. You just have to clean off the bolt face and the bore after firing, rather than having to mess with cleaning out the Garand's gas system.

Also, if you want some stripper clips for it, buy some Swedish Mauser clips. Compared to USGI M1903 clips, they're cheaper, easier to find, higher quality, more durable, and much easier to use. They work just fine with .30-06 rounds and USGI bolt rifles.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
mine shoot best with AP

My Smith-Corona liked AP ammo as well.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
mine shoot best with AP

My Smith-Corona liked AP ammo as well.

If you couldn't use match grade ammo in military matches the next best thing was 30 CAL M2 AP. Cool

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
DUDE!!!

How lucky are you!!!Smile Smile

I'd love an old 1903.

It will shoot anything. Now comes the fun part..you get to try a buncha ammo to figure out which one works the best for you!

The sights should be registered for M2 Ball which is a 150 grain bullet-anything close to this weight should work with the iron sights

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The issue with the Garand is the pressure curve of modern ammo and the potential to bend the op rod, because there is no bleed.

The '03 doesn't have that problem. It's not a dumb question.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post